Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bike to get after getting a full licence: Top powered or upgrade gradually?

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Quote Originally Posted by Rych View Post
    I went from a first bike ZXR250 (zx2r) which is already 45hp, not the same as your modern 250's, to an 06 Yamaha R6 and that was pretty frightening, but I never had any problems, was still easy enough to just cruise around on seen as the power band was so high in the rpm.

I then went 08 CBR600RR now on a 10 Street Triple R, I've taken my time but I will eventually get a thou, I really like the new CBR1000RR's so will probably go down that road in a year or two.

I personally think 250 > 600 > 1000 is an easier way to get used to the extra hp that is going to come.
    Meeh, Go all out you pussy.....
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    2010 Triumph Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    Meeh, Go all out you pussy.....
    You're right.
    KAWASAKI --> YAMAHA --> HONDA --> TRIUMPH

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Quote Originally Posted by Rych View Post
    You're right.
    As my daddy told me..... Better to be dead and cool, then alive and uncool
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    As my daddy told me..... Better to be dead and cool, then alive and uncool
    Whose funeral were those words spoken at?

Bike
    1978 Puch Maxi Sport Mk II
    I think the 'excitement' factor is more relative to the bike than it is to gross power, e.g. ripping up to 55mph on a hopped up moped with limited power, brakes, & suspension is just as exciting as ripping up to 150mph on an R6. Sure a new more powerful ride is more exciting when it is beyond your skill level but once your skills catch up it too can become boring if that type of anxiety is what you're after. I always ride safely within my limits, whether thats just cruisin many miles or doing wheelies past a cop around a corner in the rain (sorry johhny, i didn't see you, thanks for the warning though), but most importantly just enjoy the ride.

Bike
    2001 GSX1300R
    Blog Entries

Tl1000s

Ideal mid range bike. Plenty of traction. No handling problems. Perfect.
    Keep the guns oiled and the temple clean
    Shit,snort and blaspheme

Bike
    '15 Yamaha MT-07
    You've probably long made a decision and upgraded, but I'll post my thoughts for anyone in a similar dilemma. Btw, would be good to know what you decided on?

So on to my 2c..

It's all about learning, upgrading your skill, one step at a time (well for me anyway). Sure you can jump on a 150+ hp monster, but how quickly would you be scared out of your skin? And then there's the room-for-error that a less experienced rider will always need more of. Now I'm a noob myself and haven't ridden anything bigger than LAMS bikes, but I've watched and read and heard enough to know that crawling before you run is just as valid with motorcycle riding. And from what I've learned, there's two vital specifications of a BEEG bike that may inhibit a noob from becoming a refined pro, and that's weight and torque. Sure there are LAMS bikes that weigh almost as much (if not more) than some top tier sportbikes (I'm using this term loosely here for 150+ hp beasts), but the LAMS bikes are designed and fitted with parts that make the whole package more forgiving and easier to handle. On the other hand, a 1000cc+ sportbike is very specific in its' nature and all the components are designed in that way. As for torque, this is what catches most noobs by surprise. And that's simply because there's a lot of it and from very early in the rpm range. Just imagine grabbing a tad too much throttle when coming out of a turn... goodbye rear end. Whereas if you were on a say 600cc bike with a lot less low-midrange torque, a lil extra gas will probably not cause any wheel spin.

But that's just how I see it. At the end of the day it's your hard earnings, and what your goals as a rider are. Only riding to the cafe for a cuppa and catchup, then why not look cool doing so and get whatever your heart desires. If you wanna do the cafe, and also become a better, faster, safer rider, then take the baby steps in both your skill and bike upgrades. Besides, how exciting is it to make that upgrade when the time comes, and to be able to ride different bikes...

Whatever you decide, just be safe out there!

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I actually prefer more rather than less low down torque as by having more low down torque a bike can feel not so heavy in low speed cornering and when taking off. While I felt like I was going to wheelstand on the first high torque bike I bought it was only on the way home from the shop and I found the torque to my liking overall. I am not a fan of sportsbikes due to the lowered riding position and for a new rider would recommend an adventure bike as they are lighter in the handling than a sports bike and have good low down torque. The only negative about them is that many can be too tall to sit on for shorter riders.
    Paging Dr. Virago
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    You need a BMW S1000RR don't be a fucking little girls blouse.

A ZX10R is an acceptable substitute.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information