Thread: State Highway 35 - worth a ride?

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa

State Highway 35 - worth a ride?

Got a few days for a ride next week. Was thinking Auckland, Taupo, East Cape, Napier, Wellington, Auckland.

Any road recommendations that way?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Gisborne to Wairoa, take Tiniroto Rd through Tiniroto. Just remember you're in the real back country, very little signage and often stock movements etc.

Napier Taihape Rd (aka Gentle Annie). Road struggles to stay properly sealed currently, often breaking down but another great ride.

South east area of the North Island, south of Napier, is Middle Rd, Porangahau Rd, Route 52. All good stuff.

Unless you want to go to Taupo, you can go straight to Opotiki via Rotorua. There is also Oturoa Rd which skips a bit of SH5 if you're going around the northern side of the lake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    A
    East Cape is good fun, just keep in mind not all corners have a posted advisory on them, so it'll keep you on your toes.

I'd say the Gentle Annie is a must do. Same with Western Access and down the Paraparas, across the Pahiatua Track then over the Rimutakas to Welly.

Plenty of choices that don't include long runs on the main thoroughfares.

Bike
    2010 Kawasaki Concours ZG1400
    SH35 along the East Cape is good fun. I have just done it myself three weeks ago. The road from Te Pui Springs down to Gisborne is a little rough in places with all the logging trucks on the road.
    Once you get down into Hawkes Bay continue straight ahead and leave SH2 at Waipukurau and follow Porangahau Road to Porangahau where it changes name to Wimbledon Road. This soon becomes Route 52 which you can follow all the way down to Masterton and join back onto SH2 if you feel you've had enough of windy roads or you can carry on down Te Whiti and Longbush Roads and end up in Martinborough and from there head back to SH2 and over the Rimutaka Hill to Wellington.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    pretty much what they said. Have done SH35 twice now. First time on my own, in the pissing rain on a new (to me) bike. Hmmmmm. Still had a blast.
    Did it again with 3 mates, beginning of Dec last. Weather was stunning. Awesome riding.
    If you are breaking the trip up over a couple of days, be warned, nowhere and I mean NOwhere will be open for breakfast until 10.30 in the morning. As soon as you pass Opotiki you move through a rift in the space time continuum where time actually has zero meaning.

Do all the roads they say, all of them.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Waioeka Gorge ( Opotiki to Gisborne) is my fav at the moment although I also like doing Te awamutu to Whakatane/Ohope/Taneatua/Lake Rotoma/Ngahinapouri cool loop for a day ride
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Thread Information