Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: House building questions

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    well. In saying that. Cost of materials and time, no.
    Cost of compliance and design, yeah.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...find a house...build a shed...put a fence around the whole lot to keep the vermin out...put a Yunca Wegj burner in it hooked up to a 270 ltr cylinder...get some chooks...sussed...

Bike
    Softail Deuce

wasn't meant to be a rant, but there you go

Ellipsis may be onto it if you live in bush country up north or in central regions. Near city's and main towns the old council fellas generally are bit stricter on the "shed". Hey Im with that up to a point , I think the councils and insurance bodies have damn near screwed family homes for the common man. The restrictions are way to great now and the whole "industry of bureaucracy" has moved to insanity. Im not disrespecting professionals in the building industry at all, people are generally doing a good job be it sparkies or council employees.I just think we should still be allowed to do more ourselves. The cost to income ratio is insane now for homes. We have the banks to blame for a good part of this, they may be starting to squeal a bit now interest rates are dropping. I laugh at people who say "I got big money for my old place". You sure did, but what did you borrow to get into your new place.
    Id like to say I'm excited about looking to build a house, I'm not no way. I will have to borrow lots of money and spend the rest of my working life trying to get the monkey of my back.
    I do want to have my own place as it means I control my own destiny. If my landlord sells I'm stuffed. Rentals in my town are few and far between, if a house has a roof on it, its sold in a week if its even close to affordable. Thank goodness my landlord is a top bloke and gives me a fair deal. Many others are not so lucky.
    They are probably not far off the mark the pundits who reckon house prices will drop in around mid 2020's. Supply may have caught up a bit and unfortunately for some of us boomers we will be heading for the "big ride in the sky".
    The government has recklessly allowed immigration to skew the economy into a very awkward place. It could easily have been fixed by having a rule that unless its your family home you have to build new. Simple problem fixed. The building industry would have been able to gear up in a more stable way.
    I'm not anti immigration as that would be hypocritical of all of us who arrived after 1800. However, immigration at a rate the country can cater for without undue hardship for many would be fair and reasonable.
    So we will build a new home if the section deal comes through and yes I hope I can get my big garage in the budget. Hey I will enjoy it when its done. I commiserate with any of you who are working your asses off trying to get ahead. the banks and the government don't give a rats how hard it is for you. If you are the elite and made good decisions in the past have lots of property investments and are "raking" in the rent , fair enough you have worked hard too, but spare a thought for the younger generation and those who arn't as well educated. When I started work there were jobs for all of us who wanted to work, now you might want to work but machines have replaced thousands of jobs and continue to do so. You used to be able to drive a truck if you enjoyed that line of work, now you need a PHD in transport management to get you truck licence. Long haul drivers may be gone in another 10-15 years trucks will be driving themselves from A to B.
    Okay so its a bit of rant. You wonder why crime features so much, if you haven't got a job and you are fairly fit with no money of course your at risk of going to the dark side.
    Oh well back to work tomorrow I hope you all have a good day, and my thoughts are with you if your back is to the wall. I hope some how you get a decent break soon. Are you asleep yet...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sheddy View Post
    Ellipsis may be onto it if you live in bush country up north or in central regions. Near city's and main towns the old council fellas generally are bit stricter on the "shed". Hey Im with that up to a point , I think the councils and insurance bodies have damn near screwed family homes for the common man. The restrictions are way to great now and the whole "industry of bureaucracy" has moved to insanity. Im not disrespecting professionals in the building industry at all, people are generally doing a good job be it sparkies or council employees.I just think we should still be allowed to do more ourselves. The cost to income ratio is insane now for homes. We have the banks to blame for a good part of this, they may be starting to squeal a bit now interest rates are dropping. I laugh at people who say "I got big money for my old place". You sure did, but what did you borrow to get into your new place.
    Id like to say I'm excited about looking to build a house, I'm not no way. I will have to borrow lots of money and spend the rest of my working life trying to get the monkey of my back.
    I do want to have my own place as it means I control my own destiny. If my landlord sells I'm stuffed. Rentals in my town are few and far between, if a house has a roof on it, its sold in a week if its even close to affordable. Thank goodness my landlord is a top bloke and gives me a fair deal. Many others are not so lucky.
    They are probably not far off the mark the pundits who reckon house prices will drop in around mid 2020's. Supply may have caught up a bit and unfortunately for some of us boomers we will be heading for the "big ride in the sky".
    The government has recklessly allowed immigration to skew the economy into a very awkward place. It could easily have been fixed by having a rule that unless its your family home you have to build new. Simple problem fixed. The building industry would have been able to gear up in a more stable way.
    I'm not anti immigration as that would be hypocritical of all of us who arrived after 1800. However, immigration at a rate the country can cater for without undue hardship for many would be fair and reasonable.
    So we will build a new home if the section deal comes through and yes I hope I can get my big garage in the budget. Hey I will enjoy it when its done. I commiserate with any of you who are working your asses off trying to get ahead. the banks and the government don't give a rats how hard it is for you. If you are the elite and made good decisions in the past have lots of property investments and are "raking" in the rent , fair enough you have worked hard too, but spare a thought for the younger generation and those who arn't as well educated. When I started work there were jobs for all of us who wanted to work, now you might want to work but machines have replaced thousands of jobs and continue to do so. You used to be able to drive a truck if you enjoyed that line of work, now you need a PHD in transport management to get you truck licence. Long haul drivers may be gone in another 10-15 years trucks will be driving themselves from A to B.
    Okay so its a bit of rant. You wonder why crime features so much, if you haven't got a job and you are fairly fit with no money of course your at risk of going to the dark side.
    Oh well back to work tomorrow I hope you all have a good day, and my thoughts are with you if your back is to the wall. I hope some how you get a decent break soon. Are you asleep yet...
    vote akzle

Bike
    Softail Deuce

Whats the new October 2016 rules

Does anyone know the answer to this question.

If I am renting and can't afford a house that isn't available to buy in my area, can I buy in another area and rent it out until I want to move into it at a later date. By owning only one house am I an investor or a home buyer who can't yet live in the house I have purchased. [Obviously my last plan failed to materialise]
    Please dont reply if your just looking for an excuse to get your post numbers up. It won't be helpful.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing

If I am renting and can't afford a house that isn't available to buy in my area, can I buy in another area and rent it out until I want to move into it at a later date. By owning only one house am I an investor or a home buyer who can't yet live in the house I have purchased. [Obviously my last plan failed to materialise]
    Please dont reply if your just looking for an excuse to get your post numbers up. It won't be helpful.
    best thing you can do is talk to a mortgage broker, and an accountant would be my next guess. ya don't know anythin till ya start asking those that shuld know.

Bike
    2004ZX6R

Yes you can buy in another area and you will not be considered an investor as it is the only house you own, then you become a landlord and with that can come problems like maintaining a property in another town ( if not in the same area it can be a hassle ), dodgy tenants cooking meth? (Top $$ to decontaminate) worth the risk?? But if you get a solid house, good tenants then it no problems from my experience ,

Bike
    Softail Deuce

Finally cracked it

I manged to buy a house in the end after much stress and deliberation.
    my landlord of 8 years sold his other property and wants to move into my place. He is a top bloke and gave me 5 months warning so that was decent of him. Now the strange bit. Its still really hard to find A a rental close to Morrinsville and B nearly impossible if you own a dog or cat and you need a garage for your bikes. Now I have been looking for the last 5 years for something useful and affordable with stuff all luck to buy. Now that my back is to the wall so to speak my other half was freaking out as "what are we going to do" and I must admit i was concerned as well in the current market. I put ads in the local paper, went to the local agents and in the current market not much turned up. Nearly every house for sale has 5 people chasing it immediately.
    Then I had a thought about a trademe deal i did with a guy a couple of months back and remembered he said they were thinking of selling their place. At the time it wasn't in my search area, but hey now i'm in the crap... I couldn't even remember how good or bad the place was. long story short I approached them again and they said come and have a look and it turned out it really is quite a cool house just further from our workplace. We offered a fair price, they considered it and then counter offered at a very reasonable price. we now have a deal done and somewhere to go.
    Moral of the story, Don't give up even when you think your on a hiding to nothing. When one door closes another one opens and phew thank goodness for that as at the current time its not a nice place to be dispossesed in our current market that has alienated many kiwis from housing opportunities. Good on ya national.... the opposition won't be any better probably but by jeez I wouldnt vote for you at the next election whatever you bribe us with now. Slow down the immigration and let the damn country catch up...

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    my landlord of 8 years sold his other property and wants to move into my place. He is a top bloke and gave me 5 months warning so that was decent of him. Now the strange bit. Its still really hard to find A a rental close to Morrinsville and B nearly impossible if you own a dog or cat and you need a garage for your bikes. Now I have been looking for the last 5 years for something useful and affordable with stuff all luck to buy. Now that my back is to the wall so to speak my other half was freaking out as "what are we going to do" and I must admit i was concerned as well in the current market. I put ads in the local paper, went to the local agents and in the current market not much turned up. Nearly every house for sale has 5 people chasing it immediately.
    Then I had a thought about a trademe deal i did with a guy a couple of months back and remembered he said they were thinking of selling their place. At the time it wasn't in my search area, but hey now i'm in the crap... I couldn't even remember how good or bad the place was. long story short I approached them again and they said come and have a look and it turned out it really is quite a cool house just further from our workplace. We offered a fair price, they considered it and then counter offered at a very reasonable price. we now have a deal done and somewhere to go.
    Moral of the story, Don't give up even when you think your on a hiding to nothing. When one door closes another one opens and phew thank goodness for that as at the current time its not a nice place to be dispossesed in our current market that has alienated many kiwis from housing opportunities. Good on ya national.... the opposition won't be any better probably but by jeez I wouldnt vote for you at the next election whatever you bribe us with now. Slow down the immigration and let the damn country catch up...
    Glad you managed to pull that one off.
    Consider though, before you don't vote National this year.
    Who in the fuck you are going to vote for.
    Any other party or cobbled together dodgy alliance is only going to plunge us all into oblivion.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Any other party or cobbled together dodgy alliance is only going to plunge us all into oblivion.
    vote akzle

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Caseye do National party United Future, Act party and Maori party ring any bells.
    Or do i need to go back further?
    The National-New Zealand First Coalition 1996? Jenny Shipley one year later staged a caucus room coup and overthrew Bolger as prime minister. Later Shipley sacked Peters. Some New Zealand First MPs, led by Tau Henare formed another new party called Mauri Pacific, then along with Alliance MP, Alamein Kopu formed a another new coalition with National.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    R100GSPD
    You left out the most important peice.How big and what is the garage?Well done mate!

Bike
    Softail Deuce

Stage 2..... THE SHED

Hey guys, thanks for all the input on my journey back into debt.
    Now since the bank is comfortable that all things being equal I can pay back my loan, they might give me a bit more to fund a shed, I have a basic double garage workshop on the place, but like my namesake a bigger shed must be on the menu.
    I have quotes from Durabilt sheds Azteck and waiting on a fair dunkum quote. Does any one have a shed preference among this lot, They all look good two are all steel sheds and the Aztek is pole design. Hoping to get a 12-14m x9m by approx 3m knee height gable give or take, Interestingly the pole shed is a bit more expensive. The shed is in a "high " wind zone
    Akzle give up no ones going to vote for you lol.

Bike
    husaberg
    Hey guys, thanks for all the input on my journey back into debt.
    Now since the bank is comfortable that all things being equal I can pay back my loan, they might give me a bit more to fund a shed, I have a basic double garage workshop on the place, but like my namesake a bigger shed must be on the menu.
    I have quotes from Durabilt sheds Azteck and waiting on a fair dunkum quote. Does any one have a shed preference among this lot, They all look good two are all steel sheds and the Aztek is pole design. Hoping to get a 12-14m x9m by approx 3m knee height gable give or take, Interestingly the pole shed is a bit more expensive. The shed is in a "high " wind zone
    Akzle give up no ones going to vote for you lol.
    Try these fellas
    http://shedboss.co.nz/free-online-quote/
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I can usually build a pole construction shed finished for approximately the same as a steel shed kitset price. To qualify that a bit better, I am talking about a farm style shed with bays of approx 4.5m and 9m wide. The length doesn't matter, but multiples of 4.2-4.5m. That does not include permit costs. I would look at Greenwood farm buildings for kitset for pole construction
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information