Thread: Mount to carry MTB

Bike
    SR 50

Mount to carry MTB

Hi Guys,

Not sure where best to post this. Has anyone made a mount to carry a MTB on their motorcycle? not sure if it is even legal or not.

Wouldnt mind getting back into a bit of mountain biking but the wife would kill me if I left her at home with the motorbike while I took the car and had it parked up for awhile.

May not even be possible.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Google it, more common than you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    SR 50
    Yeah I did have a bit of a look but nothing really points out to if its legal in NZ or not.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    I think you'll find the legality of it rests on whether the it exceeds the load requirements (1m in front of front axle or 1m behind rear, iirc).

pretty sure you'd have trouble getting away with this:
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    oooh.. this however, would be fine I think
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I was seriously considering this. Law wise, yes, you've got issues if you try to hang the whole thing out the back of the bike, not to mention how many numptys would simply hit you while gawking.

Realistically, you'd need to use the pillion area as well, either mounting it from there back, or perpendicular to the bike across the pillion area (this was my plan and I have 2 fork mount brackets). To get under the width laws, it's 500mm from centre line for permanent attachments, note permanent. I figured removing both wheels and mounting either side in a triangle support of the frame, the frame length would only be around 1.2m, which is about 100mm each side of my panniers, no major.

Other option is mounting down the side of the bike, seen this done with surfboards for example. I ruled this out as I didn't like the idea of the mtb bike being on the side of the motorbike.

Beyond that, you have to think logistics. You're going to wear mc gear to and from, have to carry mtb gear, hydrabak or bottles etc. When you get there, you need to switch and have space to store the mc gear. I also didn't fancy the idea of pulling on mc gear when hot and sweaty from mtb'ing (same basic reason I drive to and from Paeroa as I'm a flag marshal).

In reality, with the extra gear I take mtb'ing (workstand, toolbox, spare bits and bobs) the odds of using the motorbike looks kinda slim...

Did a trip in January to the South Island, where I went the opposite way. I loaded the van with motorbike, mtb bike, all the gear for both plus work gear...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i have seen a solution where the bike is like a trailer

otherwise i would like to keep the forks at about pillion pegs place rather than hanging completely out behind,just for ccommon sense rather than any legality requirements

Bike
    So old you won't care
    You can buy an old Caldina cheaper than the rack.......

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I was seriously considering this. Law wise, yes, you've got issues if you try to hang the whole thing out the back of the bike, not to mention how many numptys would simply hit you while gawking.

Realistically, you'd need to use the pillion area as well, either mounting it from there back, or perpendicular to the bike across the pillion area (this was my plan and I have 2 fork mount brackets). To get under the width laws, it's 500mm from centre line for permanent attachments, note permanent. I figured removing both wheels and mounting either side in a triangle support of the frame, the frame length would only be around 1.2m, which is about 100mm each side of my panniers, no major.

Other option is mounting down the side of the bike, seen this done with surfboards for example. I ruled this out as I didn't like the idea of the mtb bike being on the side of the motorbike.

Beyond that, you have to think logistics. You're going to wear mc gear to and from, have to carry mtb gear, hydrabak or bottles etc. When you get there, you need to switch and have space to store the mc gear. I also didn't fancy the idea of pulling on mc gear when hot and sweaty from mtb'ing (same basic reason I drive to and from Paeroa as I'm a flag marshal).

In reality, with the extra gear I take mtb'ing (workstand, toolbox, spare bits and bobs) the odds of using the motorbike looks kinda slim...

Did a trip in January to the South Island, where I went the opposite way. I loaded the van with motorbike, mtb bike, all the gear for both plus work gear...
    My concern is more to the motorbike and riding gear while you are on the MTB. Places like Rotorua would be fine, even have showers. But others I would not leave the motorbike sitting there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information