Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skylake and Win7

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Skylake and Win7

Something I didn't see coming... So it appears Microsoft and Intel have been playing clever games (as much as they deny).

Support for the likes of EHCI has been dropped from the Skylake hardware, using xHCI instead... except Win7 needs EHCI. Long story short, has anyone tried installing Win7 on Skylake motherboards?

Tried using USB based isos, DVDs with slipstreamed drivers (either I couldn't finish the slipstream or anything that did complete didn't work or have enough drivers), alternative disks to hold the Win7 files for install... essentially it seems I'd have more successful results bashing my head into a concrete wall I even tried taking an OS built from VM, migrating to the hardware, but I need the Intel RST functional, and that ended up in another round of games (Win7 needs iastor.sys which stopped in RST v11)...

Might have to consider Win10 and then use some tools to remove the unwanted stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    why has loading additional drivers at install failed?

Wiki also tells me skylake bins vga support. Boo. Hiss.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Might have to consider Win10
    i know a better os

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Is it just the installation process, or does win7 need it for day to day stuff?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Have you tried turning it on and off?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Is it just the installation process, or does win7 need it for day to day stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    why has loading additional drivers at install failed?

Wiki also tells me skylake bins vga support. Boo. Hiss.
    Win7 doesn't have USB3 drivers so does it's best WTF impression on install. Once you get the OS installed then you should be able to add drivers, but you need the OS before installing drivers, and the drivers before installing the OS.

i know a better os
    Stop the press... I'm stunned. Does it run MS Office, and other Microsoft packages? It's a requirement...

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Have you tried turning it on and off?
    Too many times to count... I need someone technical don't I?
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Does it run MS Office, and other Microsoft packages? It's a requirement...
    https://products.office.com/en-nz/ma...office-for-mac

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    That has to be one of the most irritating pieces of software. Ever tried migrating office mac outlook files to Windows? haha... good luck Soooo MS.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    That has to be one of the most irritating pieces of software. Ever tried migrating office mac outlook files to Windows? haha... good luck Soooo MS.
    Not the case since docx format arrived. I regularly move docs between Office 2010 on PC and Office 2011 for Mac. No problems at all. 2016 versions would be even better than the old crud I use.

The only fly in the ointment is a lack of Visio for Mac so I run a Win7 VM with Parallels.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Win7 doesn't have USB3 drivers so does it's best WTF impression on install. Once you get the OS installed then you should be able to add drivers, but you need the OS before installing drivers, and the drivers before installing the OS.

Stop the press... I'm stunned. Does it run MS Office, and other Microsoft packages? It's a requirement...
    disable in bios? Enable legacy? Ignore at the install? (i can almost guarantee deept in the depths of ms kb1011101!1derp there will be a prompt switch to ignore it. Nt60.exe /fuckthisshitisgay /whybother -end-it-all. Probably with all the slashes around the wrong way, too.)

fuck msoffice.
    i know a better productivity suite.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Tbh, I still install using CD/DVDs. PITA to do but at least there is a workaround to get it installed.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    Not the case since docx format arrived.
    i doubt that applies for .pst or .ost files though.
    On account of mac doesnt generate one, being unix, it doesnt treat you like a mormon. (nor is it likely to corrupt for files once they exceed a certain size)

also, a quick googluh, tells me the archive files on mac cant be imported into windows.
    Yay for platform agnosticism!
    You can, however, bounce it through an exchange server to get .pst output.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    disable in bios? Enable legacy? Ignore at the install?
    Yup, enabled those options in BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Tbh, I still install using CD/DVDs. PITA to do but at least there is a workaround to get it installed.
    Yep, felt weird, but still needed to introduce drivers during install... and that's when you get stuck. Tried building custom disks with NTLite, but the only successful one I finished didn't work and the rest ended with a myriad of errors (either missing boot files - no idea why, or failure on an included driver)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Yup, enabled those options in BIOS.

Yep, felt weird, but still needed to introduce drivers during install... and that's when you get stuck. Tried building custom disks with NTLite, but the only successful one I finished didn't work and the rest ended with a myriad of errors (either missing boot files - no idea why, or failure on an included driver)
    just put the drivers on a seperate floppy disk

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    just put the drivers on a seperate floppy disk
    Actually, have you noticed how large BIOS files are? I remember them being 1024 ish KB. Last one I updated a day or two ago was 16MB. I only have a USB floppy drive

Thread Information