Thread: Accident and claiming insurance

Bike
    SR 50

Accident and claiming insurance

Bike was parked today, when I went out to ride home after work I noticed that it was on a totally different angle. As I was hoping on I noticed a not on the speedo saying "Hey someone hit your bike, I picked it up for you, their rego is ######"

So I thought cool, checked the bike and it only has minor scuff scratching marks to the fairings.

The owner of the car that hit mine was actually still there, turns out they have bad english and that they hit my bike, into another bike which then went into another bike. One of the other bike owners was sorting things out for them with the rental car company etc so I got all the details. Owner was really apologetic and genuine about it.

Called up my insurance company, told them about the situation and was told that to fix the minor scuff marks on the fairing they would need to order a new fairing kit in, but chances are the bike would be written off.
    Part of my was like screw that its only minor would rather keep my bike.
    Then I was also told that because my bike was knocked into someone elses then they would need to claim insurance off me, and the 3rd bike owner would need to claim insurance off them.

Going to be a real pain having to claim insurance just to protect myself from having to pay for damange to another persons bike, lose my no claims bonus etc because someone else hit me.

ARRRGGHHHHHHHHHH

Bike
    vfr400 NC30, SRX600 project
    Go through the insurance process, if they do write it off, offer to buy it off them for an agreed amount. Usually a win :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    vfr400 NC30, SRX600 project
    It's still an accident cause by someone else, the claims eventually go all on the first person (i.e. The car driver)...my wife did this years ago when she crashed the car into another (which hit another). Your bonus should not be affected as you are not at fault in anyway, if they try to say you are, I think you have the option of the insurance ombudsman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    File your claim....!
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    yeah, file it.

make sure you sticck in all the detail, driver admitted fault, their details, car rego, all the bikes damaged etc etc

file it with your insurance company, and let them fight it out....

you arent at fault for any of the damages, its all on the car driver

Bike
    Predator
    Best bet is to weigh up the repair cost and bike's value yourself, then discuss with your insurer about a cash settlement rather than writing it off.

If all of the insurers in that situation are in the knock for knock agreement then it's really just your insurer paying out to you.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    File the claim - you can always withdraw it if you want.

Given the one who caused it all has admitted it insist on no excess payment at your end - your insurer will claim it off them.

Bike
    SR 50
    Thanks guys.

The buying back option sounds like a good idea as the bike is perfectly fine (I replaced the broken indicator myself last night so that I could still ride it as it is my commuter to work. other than the minor scratches to the fairing and the fact it broke off the WOF label there is nothing else wrong with the bike.

I paid $3600 for it 3 months ago (Kawasaki Ninja 2008 250r)

It is insured for $3600 so not sure what to do in terms of negotiating a price if they write it off. In all honesty I am happy to ride it with the minor scratches. I am only 3 months into riding so chances are it will get dropped again at some stage (I hope not)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo_nz View Post
    Thanks guys.

The buying back option sounds like a good idea as the bike is perfectly fine (I replaced the broken indicator myself last night so that I could still ride it as it is my commuter to work. other than the minor scratches to the fairing and the fact it broke off the WOF label there is nothing else wrong with the bike.

I paid $3600 for it 3 months ago (Kawasaki Ninja 2008 250r)

It is insured for $3600 so not sure what to do in terms of negotiating a price if they write it off. In all honesty I am happy to ride it with the minor scratches. I am only 3 months into riding so chances are it will get dropped again at some stage (I hope not)
    Tell them you would be interested in buying it back and let them tell you the price they want and take it from there. They will pay you your 3600, minus excess either way.

Bike
    SR 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Tell them you would be interested in buying it back and let them tell you the price they want and take it from there. They will pay you your 3600, minus excess either way.
    with it being claimed against the responsible driver shouldn't I get the full amount?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo_nz View Post
    with it being claimed against the responsible driver shouldn't I get the full amount?
    Not sure, I think excess is paid regardless as a cost on top of the cost of having insurance because they are good like that, but I could well be wrong.

Bike
    2012 Fireblade
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Not sure, I think excess is paid regardless as a cost on top of the cost of having insurance because they are good like that, but I could well be wrong.
    They take the excess off you when they pay out - but will then refund it to you at a later date - when everthing is settled with all parties involved
    Basically this is because its not unusual for all claimants to blame each other and/or change their stories when they fill out the forms

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    They take the excess off you when they pay out - but will then refund it to you at a later date - when everthing is settled with all parties involved
    Basically this is because its not unusual for all claimants to blame each other and/or change their stories when they fill out the forms

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    There we have it. Cheers for clearing that up

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I am surprised the insurance company does not want to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I did find however that the paint job was not as smooth as the original painted surface though.
    Umm, I'm not....

Thread Information