Page 250 of 638 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260300350 ... LastLast
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 9559

Thread: The American (USA) 2016 presidential elections thread?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    More ultra left fake news right here in New Zealand - even on KB would you believe!
    What you saying? Nothing fake at all. Conservative Republicans don't think the option presented went far enough so they are refusing to support it. Trumps blaming them in his tweets and moaning he couldn't get any Dems to vote for it (as if) but he supposedly has a majority so could pass anything right? Um - nope... The conservative Republicans don't think hes gone far enough hence they wont support it yet he knows if he goes that far - the more liberal Republicans wont support that... The great deal maker?? LOL

Read here - http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...-on-healthcare

Freedom Caucus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Caucus

Club For Growth and Heritage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_for_Growth

This is all for real John... The Republicans have major issues with the ultra right and are no closer to solving the rift.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I just posted on Twitter about so much suffering in the US being caused for purely idealogical reasons. My iPad is currently going crazy because of the numbers liking the message.

I absolutely agree with Pauls comments but there was also a Republican faction worried that if their constituents lost their insurance that would come back and bite them on the arse. Trump talked about the bill likely losing by a very narrow margin. The figure I saw was nearer 40. Not narrow, not close.

The heroin epidemic in the States is huge and it's caused initially by doctors handing out opiate pain killers in bulk because they know that the patient will not be able to afford to get treatment, and they know they won't be back for another script.

The highest death toll from heroin overdoses is in West Virginia where they voted for Trump. Talk about turkeys voting for Christmas.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    The Republicans have major issues with the ultra right and are no closer to solving the rift.
    Maybe there's a lesson to be taken here, in how ineffective a govt can be where it's comprised of such a huge number of single issue entities able to cheerfully block any legislation not aligning perfectly with their ideology.

Give me a single FPP elected entity every time.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Maybe there's a lesson to be taken here, in how ineffective a govt can be where it's comprised of such a huge number of single issue entities able to cheerfully block any legislation not aligning perfectly with their ideology.

Yeah .. that figures .. you want an authoritarian regime
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Looks like Trump wants to set up a dynasty like north Korea - daughter Ivanka and son in lay Kushner being moved into political roles http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/...cid=spartanntp
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Yeah .. that figures .. you want an authoritarian regime
    I want a government capable of the job they were elected to do, rather than one nobody voted for, constrained by compromises demanded by a minority.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

Nah fuck that. Wasn't even close to democratic. It was OK if say you lived in Fendalton, Karori, or on a farm and wanted to vote National. Or say Sydenham if you wanted to vote Labour.

We get the odd idiot now it's true, but that's a small price to pay for democracy.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    I want a government capable of the job they were elected to do, rather than one nobody voted for, constrained by compromises demanded by a minority.
    Agreed
    But what is this job they were elected to do?
    Surely the free market is a better option?

sent for a divine source
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Sold

American wannabe leaders addressing the real world leaders in order to gain approval

Apparently whoever sucks hardest and longest wins the required approval - make it this way or it's the highway! America first - just after Israel.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    It's an interesting Dilema.

One which I don't think either system solves adequately.

If only we could have benevolent dictators....
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Nah fuck that. Wasn't even close to democratic. It was OK if say you lived in Fendalton, Karori, or on a farm and wanted to vote National. Or say Sydenham if you wanted to vote Labour.

We get the odd idiot now it's true, but that's a small price to pay for democracy.
    It was as close as it's possible to get to true representative government. As I said, MMP usually gives you a government nobody voted for.

True democracy might be got by having every citizen vote on every broad policy objective. But you know damned well how that works: everyone wants everything, now, and they want someone else to pay for it.

So like I said, a vote on an internally cohesive policy set is as close to a workable democracy you'll get.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    It's an interesting Dilema.

One which I don't think either system solves adequately.

If only we could have benevolent dictators....
    Aye. But not too benevolent, you have to keep all the whining ingrates in line.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    Apparently whoever sucks hardest and longest wins the required approval - make it this way or it's the highway! America first - just after Israel.
    That motherfucker is scarier than Donald Trump.

Bike
    bandit
    It was as close as it's possible to get to true representative government. As I said, MMP usually gives you a government nobody voted for.
    Have you looked at voting history over the last say 30 years? How often did any Government in this country gain more than 50% of the total vote?

in 1972 Labour got 48.4% of the total
    In 1975 national got 47.6%
    In 1978 national got 39.8% Labour got 40.04 - National Governed
    In 1981 National got 38.8% Labour got 39% (The Nats Governed - Muldoon)
    In 1984 Labour got 42.98%
    1987 Labour got 47.9%
    In 1990 National got 47.82
    1993 National got 35.05%
    In 1997 National got 33.87% - Bolger got to run the place - this was the first election under MMP.

Given that there is low turn out - never 100% of voters, you cannot claim in any shape or form, that from 1972 to 1993 ANY Government had majority support of the voters.

So tell me again about how we had a representative democracy under FFP.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Are those figures the percentage of the total of eligible voters or the percentage of people who actually voted?
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Thread Information