Thread: Rotating video files

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Rotating video files

I have videos that are wrongly orientated on screen. They need to be rotated. I need to be able to rotate the files, save them and then send them to someone else - probably via memory stick.

Trolling the internet brought mixed results - none of which was either easy and/or free.

Can anyone suggest a piece of free software that will just tip the thing around 90 degrees without three hours of farting about? Ta.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    VLC.

even available for windows victims. not sure of the efficacy on windows, but the science is good.

-edit-
    its free as hell, and really, not hard if you RTFM.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    VLC.

even available for windows victims. not sure of the efficacy on windows, but the science is good.

-edit-
    its free as hell, and really, not hard if you RTFM.

I have VLC and tried it yesterday. But it will only rotate the files when played on VLC. Not sure if it would work on VLC on another computer either.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    I have VLC and tried it yesterday. But it will only rotate the files when played on VLC. Not sure if it would work on VLC on another computer either.
    options - enable video flter transcode stdout

file > convert/save

or....

LMGTFY

Bike
    Bikes!
    Virtualdub will do it. You can batch them up and it'll just chug away doing all of them. It'll also resize to optimise to whatever you're wanting to display on. It'll also re-encode your files into another format, should your player be picky about that too. The interface is old school, so WYSIWYG here, so you'll need to pay attention at first. It's free, and not full of bullshit.

/edit: tutorials

http://ccm.net/faq/19724-virtualdub-...rotate-a-video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEENXWxwImM

If you're doing dance comp videos, post them up on youtube so we can ooh and ahh

Bike
    CB1300
    I have had some sucess with handbrake.
    I like it cos it's free and puts it into just about any format and allows you to batch it to run when not using your pc.
    Speed and quality of any transcode will be bottlenecked at the lesser of RAM, GPU and CPU in that order so it pays to accept your machine will not be running on all cylinders while processing if you are doing anything more difficult that trimming and re encoding. In most cases ot will be quicker to do each thing seperately than to try and do all at once if you don't have a gaming spec machine.
    E.g do the rotate first then make a copy in the formats you want.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    If the files are flipped 180o, just send them to someone in the northern hemisphere. They'll be fine.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Slo, did you find a solution? I came home from a ride this evening and found that I had four clips all up side down. I had forgotten to re-set the orientation setting after using the camera in the car.

I have a free downloaded editor called 'Free Video Editor'. I usually use this to cut segments from the camera files.
    It has a rotation button which allows the clip to be flipped then I click on 'save' and it saves in the correct view. I have done this with one file tonight and now I don't have to balance on my head on the table to view the video.

If you can't find this programme and still need to fix your problem, bring the video clips out here, and we can sort it.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Slo, did you find a solution? I came home from a ride this evening and found that I had four clips all up side down. I had forgotten to re-set the orientation setting after using the camera in the car.

I have a free downloaded editor called 'Free Video Editor'. I usually use this to cut segments from the camera files.
    It has a rotation button which allows the clip to be flipped then I click on 'save' and it saves in the correct view. I have done this with one file tonight and now I don't have to balance on my head on the table to view the video.

If you can't find this programme and still need to fix your problem, bring the video clips out here, and we can sort it.
    Thanks awa. Will check it out.

Thread Information