Thread: I don't know what to do but may as well go to drag wars this Friday

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa

I don't know what to do but may as well go to drag wars this Friday

Ok - friend hit me up. "Jon - it is drag wars on Friday, last of the season and you've just bought a 'Busa which, let's be honest, isn't slow".

I've never been drag racing, watched drag racing or showed any real interest in it. But hey, I'll try anything once and it should be good fun.

I have my new, completely stock Hayabusa.
    At drag wars, the rules are helmet, license, WOF, REG, road tyres.
    I've done 2000miles on it but not consciously practised very quick pulls ways.

Some questions.

Is drag racing just green light then go? I should be able to manage that?

If I can pull away fairly sharp from traffic lights I'll be OK?

I'm not gonna drop the bike, get hit, damage anything unless I pull an insane wheelie and drop it am I?

It is 'dial your own time'. What time do I pick for a novice on a bike that theoretically does 9.7sec 1/4 mile?

Do I need to do a burnout? I've never done one (not seen the point of wasting rubber). If I do, will the ABS freak out?

Am I being silly or will I take it fairly easy, practise on some empty straights this week and have a good time, albeit miles away from 9.7sec!?

If there is high risk of breaking my new pride and joy, I don't want to know. If the risk is the same(ish) as driving down the road then I'm happy with that...

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    You get practice runs before you dial your time I think.

Yes, it is entirely possible to crash without the front wheel leaving the ground.

The lights are hard to explain? You'll get a feel for them as the day goes on. Just when you think you've sussed them...you'll red light.

Is 9.5 on a real quarter, or 400 meters like they use now?

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Id ring the insurance company and get yourself covered for the day usually a higher excess.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Leave on the last orange, set dial-in time after practice runs. Burn out just to clean the tyres, don't heat them up too much. I don't bother with a burnout, there is so much traction on the track-bite stuff you really don't need anymore. You're likelihood of falling off is low unless you tip over backwards. I go quite regularly and it is a lot of fun. Consistency is the key to winning.

Cheers

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Id ring the insurance company and get yourself covered for the day usually a higher excess.
    This would be main priority I'd say...unless you own it outright and are feeling brave...

Clutches love drag starts of course

Bike

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Just thinking bout that

Bike
    11' CBR600RR
    I've been pretty impressed with the number of bikes at the night wars the few times i've been this year. A good mix between sports bikes and cruisers, there was even a chick ripping up the strip last night wars, good for her!
    Everybody seemed real chill and friendly too.

To the OP, just go out and have some fun being able to break the speed limit legally. Personally i wouldn't bother with the burn out either. Also, that insurance thing could be a good idea too.
    Smoke Cigrits!

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    theres a chance of dropping it anytime you ride it. ring your insurance co. beforehand and get covered for the day just in case. Youll have no trouble finding someone to talk you through any questions you have, and when I went and gave it a go, I started off with very gentle starts, then warmed into harder launches as the day progressed. no pressure on yourself, just try to have fun, and there'll be less chance of a breakage.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Warm the motor up fully, and warm your clutch up by slipping it a bit when staging. You shouldn't have any troubles then.

Looping it is not the most common drag bike crash. Getting off line is. Get pointers in person from someone who has some experience. Nothing surer than 50/50 mix of good and fucken terrible advice on this site.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Line up in the center wheel track from the cars. Watch a few races first and learn how the lights work. You have to move forwards to make your stage lights light up, it's not on a timer, it's a laser that sets the light on when you get into position. So many people fuck that up. It's funny to watch though

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Yeah - AMI offer no ability to get cover. NAC would cover track days but won't cover drags. Anyone know anyone that does one off cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Speed Triple
    So did you end up going? Results?

Thread Information