Thread: Gl1000

Bike
    Honda

Gl1000

What sort of money would buy this? $5-7K? I have been looking at big naked bikes in recent times, primarily the GSX1400 and CB1300 but this is some bike for around the same money...I assume?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1045473692.htm

Bike
    Predator
    Have you tried asking the seller?

Bike
    Honda
    Previous experience of asking the question is generally answered with ''make a bid''. Don't you watch Dickinson Real Deal?

The auction has a week to run, I will watch and see what the bidders say, I normally wouldn't place a bid bid until the last hour so.

Bike
    motocompo
    Prior to even seeing this thread, I was chatting with an authority on these bikes this morning, as I find them quite interesting technically, & a bike suitable to the kind of riding I'm into.
    He said that hardly anybody wants them at the mo & not to get too carried away as they're not worth very much due to the lack of demand.
    An early wire wheel one would be more valuable, or at least more interesting.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I reckon mine with all the Vetter gear would not get me much more than 3 to 3.5k...it's too cool, rideable, flickable, fast, to even consider giving it away for what I could get...

Bike
    raptor 1000
    there is a guy in dunedin rides one to work every day

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflebutter View Post
    What sort of money would buy this? $5-7K?
    Given there is a reserve on that particular GL only knowing what it is will reveal if the asking price is realistic.
    It comes down to how much the seller wants to make a sale and how much a potential buyer is willing to pay and where the two numbers cross, at the end of the day even if it was brand new you would want to go back to the 1970's because that is what it represents.

I would think a 'Comstar GL like that might make $4000/$4400 if it was New Zealand new.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    It is a particularly nice example of a particularly cool machine...until the Kwaka Z came along a few months after the GL was introduced, the Honda was the quickest bike off the floor on the market, and was construed as a sport bike. Honda had to play catch up after Craig Vetter designed some touring boxes and the Windjammer for some friends who saw something else in the machine. It was never ever envisaged by the H company as being what it turned out to be.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Search for Cafe GL1000 - some nice examples out there.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    It is a particularly nice example of a particularly cool machine...until the Kwaka Z came along a few months after the GL was introduced, the Honda was the quickest bike off the floor on the market, and was construed as a sport bike. Honda had to play catch up after Craig Vetter designed some touring boxes and the Windjammer for some friends who saw something else in the machine. It was never ever envisaged by the H company as being what it turned out to be.
    Funny coz Bob Greene's 75' road test said it was:
    "a far out extension of Honda, the massive, sohisticated grand tourer of the twentieth century"
    That was his closing sentence for the test and prior to that in the 2nd paragraph of the test states
    "it soon let us know its straight line preference; the wing resists being put on the mat in either direction. Even in straight line the wing does not sit as rock steady as kawasaki Z or suzuki rotary. As a touring mount the Wing is ideal"

Initially the gold wing was meant as it came to be in the late 80s a 1500 6cyl but was deemed to complicated

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...don't know Bob Greene but he must have seen what other people saw, but the GL history books I've read tell of Honda not being onto the cruising bit 'til others were already doing it...

Bike
    Honda
    The reserve was $5500 and the bike was sold as a fixed offer. I wouldn't have wanted to pay that much.

Thread Information