Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridgestone S21 Launch

Bike
    A
    PP3s on my Busa, no problem as long as you keep decent pressures in them. Ditto for the S20s I've had on previously. Might try S21s at some point, just for research purposes haha!

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Took the 2000km old S21's through the lower Coro loop today (Paeroa, Waihi, Whangamata, over Kopu to Thames.) Last few times have been on PP3's.

That sort of road really shows up the benefits of the S21 (well, on my particular bike anyway) - I've said it before but it's like riding on a rail. Through those tight corners they just tip over and over and keep going as long and as deep as you want. Even on the wet* I didn't feel anything go wandering at any time. Certainly a nice experience.

Anyway I love those tyres and am pleased to see few signs of wear as yet.

* If you head north from Whangamata, there is a hill just before SH25a goes left off SH25. An excellent hill to ride, 'cept that every time I fucking ride it, there's a lone shower cloud hanging over it pissing rain. What the hell?
    Never rains when I ride it, must be you!

It's a great section of road, isn't it. I can't decide whether I prefer uphill or down.

The M7RR feel the same as you describe. So much fun trail braking into those corners and then leaning the bike way over.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    Honda Hornet
    Have a set of S21's on my hornet and love them. Done around 2000kms and look barely worn.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Had a flat on my rear S21 yesterday - had to ride Castlepoint to Masterton on 20-ish psi.

These are brilliant tyres but I've just gone out and bought a CO2 + hand pump for the emergency kit... the tyre went from 5/6th's new to just barely WOF legal in that one stretch of road. Very, very rapid wear, gobs of rubber coming off. A crying shame but there wasn't any alternative.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Had a flat on my rear S21 yesterday - had to ride Castlepoint to Masterton on 20-ish psi.

These are brilliant tyres but I've just gone out and bought a CO2 + hand pump for the emergency kit... the tyre went from 5/6th's new to just barely WOF legal in that one stretch of road. Very, very rapid wear, gobs of rubber coming off. A crying shame but there wasn't any alternative.
    I did a few k's on a flat rear T30. What a mess, the ultimate track day refugee. Big balls of rubber hanging off everywhere. Mind you, it's still going strong 7000km's later. Tough tires.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post

I have a SCA "thunder" compressor - runs on 12v, compact and does a great job on tyres. I carry it around in a tail bag. Use it for all pressure adjustments. Had it a while now and it is yet to explode.

Funny thing though - haven't had a flat since I bought it...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    So my front RS10 is toast on the CBR, should I go S21 front and near new RS10 rear?

Not thinking its a great idea.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    As long as you're aware, what's the problem?

I've just fitted a new Power RS to the rear of mine and still running a PP3 up front. Not dumping a tyre with 10k of life left.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So my front RS10 is toast on the CBR, should I go S21 front and near new RS10 rear?

Piece of string question-for the road sure-for the track, no. Also-getting colder now and these tyres are not the best without a bit of heat in them, if road riding is your intention. Your rear would be more of a liability on the road this time of year.

The set on my GSXR are coming to the end of their life and have not put a foot wrong. Kms-about 5500kms-perhaps another500kms still left. Both ends have maintained a great profile and i still have the confidence to push, in good conditions. I am commuting on them atm in the wet and slime; they seem fine. In saying that, I am a slow and cautious rider in the wet. Frankly, I love them and a new set will be on this bike ready for next summer.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Piece of string question-for the road sure-for the track, no. Also-getting colder now and these tyres are not the best without a bit of heat in them, if road riding is your intention. Your rear would be more of a liability on the road this time of year.

The set on my GSXR are coming to the end of their life and have not put a foot wrong. Kms-about 5500kms-perhaps another500kms still left. Both ends have maintained a great profile and i still have the confidence to push, in good conditions. I am commuting on them atm in the wet and slime; they seem fine. In saying that, I am a slow and cautious rider in the wet. Frankly, I love them and a new set will be on this bike ready for next summer.
    I live in Auckland. Dont get that cold up here.

S21 is on the front now, commuted across town just fine.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    That sounds about what I got from S20's when I ran them. Tried to push that out a bit once and ended up riding on steel mesh...

Current set of S21's have done 5k front and 4k rear. Shapes are still pretty good but the rear profile is bending a little about now. Front still pretty good. Still reckon they were made for gixxers - best tyre ever on mine. But then I ride like a doddering grampa anyway these days so what the fuck?
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    If my $0.02 is worth anything...

I'm working on the principle of finding a front tyre I love, and putting something round and black on the rear.

My 2005 RSV Tuono R is running an S21 front/T30 Evo combination. The Tuono tends to rip up the rears a bit, but I can get about 12,000kms out of a T30 - well I did on the last one. In that time I went through 2 Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs, and had my share of front end slides in the wet.

I've not had any slides in the front since moving to the S21 front, and the only slides I've had in the T30, apart from a couple of wiggles on diesel spots on wet roads, have been totally intentional.

If you're doing a few lazy kms and are interested in tyre longevity it's worth a look.

TSS Red Baron were happy to break a couple of sets to do a set for my bike.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Just threw on another set of S20s, (mainly cos the price was good) but they're good and warm up is too. I know I can get 5-6000 out of them as well.(but the rear is really fucked by then).
    Winter now,so won't be doing much till Oct.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    2012 VFR800
    Had a set of S21's and had no problems. Right now, I have the Dunlop Q3's that I got at 4WO|Truck Parts & Motorcycle. To me, S21 is better for street use and Q3 is better for trackdays.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    S21s on the CBR now. 200k ride today and they are scrubbed in nice. Predictable, seem good. Minimal chicken strip must mean they feel ok for the first ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information