Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridgestone S21 Launch

Bike
    that one in my sig

Bridgestone S21 Launch

http://www.mcnews.com.au/bridgestone...1-tyre-launch/

I put on a set of these for the two dayer MotoTT at Taupo. Very impressed compared to the Pilot Power 3 I was on before. Haven't tried the S20 so can't compare.

These would be the most precise tyres I've ridden. I'd think where I wanted to be and they'd turn and track perfectly.

Grip is great too. Easily better than the PP3. In places the PP3 would normally start to spin the S21 was planted. In the end I didn't find the limit despite taking the piss on the gas few times.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff. Looking at the tyres those fine sipes appear to be only a mm or less deep - just pretty graphics then as they will wear off in no time leaving the real tread. They may as well imprint images of naked women on the rubber.

Bike
    A Red German one.
    Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    http://www.mcnews.com.au/bridgestone...1-tyre-launch/

I put on a set of these for the two dayer MotoTT at Taupo. Very impressed compared to the Pilot Power 3 I was on before. Haven't tried the S20 so can't compare.

These would be the most precise tyres I've ridden. I'd think where I wanted to be and they'd turn and track perfectly.

Grip is great too. Easily better than the PP3. In places the PP3 would normally start to spin the S21 was planted. In the end I didn't find the limit despite taking the piss on the gas few times.
    I have been running Michelin Pilot Powers and Pilot pures on my bikes for a number of years. My new bike came with Bridgestone S20 tyres. They would be the best tyre I have ridden on. Plenty of grip both wet and dry. If the S21 are an improvement, then I cannot wait to run a set.

"No matter what bike you ride. It's all the same wind in your face"

Bike
    that one in my sig

Bridgestone S21 Launch

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Good stuff. Looking at the tyres those fine sipes appear to be only a mm or less deep - just pretty graphics then as they will wear off in no time leaving the real tread. They may as well imprint images of naked women on the rubber.
    What pretty graphics?

Bike
    What pretty graphics?

Bike
    S1000RR
    What pretty graphics?

Beauty!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    That's from the last session of the day. Probably could go +1 PSI but I don't faff about with my pressures unless I'm obviously overheating or not building enough heat.

The fat part of the tyre is wearing perfectly and it's only the super-soft edge compound that is shedding. It's not a full blown hot tear or anything.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    What pretty graphics?

Killed them! Nice work.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Killed them! Nice work.
    Yep they were gone pretty quick. They're purely cosmetic.

Just measured and I have taken 0.5mm off that side of the tyre over the two days. Not bad but definitely faster wear on track vs PP3's. I'm a bit scared to see what Hampton Downs does to them.

On the other hand, commuting is on the hard compound so may still last ok. If I get >5000km of commuting on top of 4-6 trackdays I'll be happy with the life vs grip.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I always loved the S20. Smooth as silk, very easy ride. Best tyre ever. Apart from wearing out too quickly. Even I could only coax about 7k out of a rear and the last of those k's were probably (definitely) illegal.

So financial constraints meant I needed a more durable option. Like Pilot Power III. Oh yes, they wear real well. (I just got the last front PP3 replaced today after travelling 16k on it.) But they always made the gixxer feel heavy in the back and nowhere near as nimble. Not at all like the S20.

So last week that front PP3 failed the warrant and was replaced today. With, of course, the S21. (I have to recoup finances before changing the rear to match). Which of course means I had the onerous task of "scrubbing it in" - whatever that means. The man in the shop reckoned "Raglan and back" would do it. So did I.

OK so the old front was triangulated and any properly round tyre would feel better but I thought it just instantly felt like the S20. Such an easy roll over, feeling really planted. Just as I had remembered. Even with the PP3 still on the back. Needless to say, the taking it easy bit didn't last long. (I wonder how I could recoup those finances real quick...)

Now to see how far these will go.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    I'm loving them too. Rear lasted 5k on the 1290, but the extra grip/feel makes them worth every penny.

My last front was also a PP3 which lasted just short of 16k, but I'll know by the end of Summer how well the S21 front does. If I get 10k out of it, I'll be happy.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'm loving them too. Rear lasted 5k on the 1290, but the extra grip/feel makes them worth every penny.

My last front was also a PP3 which lasted just short of 16k, but I'll know by the end of Summer how well the S21 front does. If I get 10k out of it, I'll be happy.
    I found my S21 front went off really quickly towards the end of its life. When I changed the rear it looked about 2/3 gone. It only lasted another 3-4 hundred k's.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Well the rear PP3 was replaced with the S21 on Wednesday last.

Today was the first chance I have had to take the now completed set for a wee run. Being as how it is Sunday, all the usual roads are full of traffic so I went through Rotowaro Rd to Waingaro Road (or whatever it is called). Some good corners and little traffic. Perfect tyre testing ground.

I forgot the tyre was new (and required "careful riding for a bit") after about five naonseconds - that riding on a rail feeling was there straight away. Bugger the careful bit. Somehow, they inspire total confidence.

I don't know how they go on other bike models, but as far as my GSX-R600 goes, these are the best tyres I have had on it. Along with the original S20 of course. If you got a gixxer 6, you owe it to yourself to ride on these tyres at least once. Stick it on your bucket list.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    Tempted to get a new set on my fz6r, im currently running pirelli angel gt's which are a good tyre, but are wearing a big square spot on the rear so will need replacing soon

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Thanks for the write-up. Those roads would be a good place to test new tyres. It will be interesting to hear how they wear.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Thread Information