Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridgestone S21 Launch

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Looks like I might have to replace the 4500km old rear S21.

A month or so ago I noticed a slow leak in the back tyre. Had to pump it up before I went out - which was not that often recently due to diseases brought home by grandchildren, shit weather and total laziness on my part. Then it was losing 12psi per day with a bit of use.

So I had it fixed - bit of wire stuck through it - but it kept going down still, albeit more slowly. Took it back for another go (no charge for this one thanks to Boyds ). Better results but there is still some bubbling when tested with spit or soapy water. Very slow this time - no measurable drop per 24 hours so far. But it does leak.

At 4500, the tyre is beginning to lose shape but has plenty of central tread yet. Don't really want the cost of changing it. But I think I will anyway because I am never too happy on a leaky tyre. Who knows when it will leak real fast one day. In a corner. With a truck and trailer coming the other way. On your side of the road. On a narrow wet road with crap surface. And a wild sheep in your path. You know the deal.

Might hafta cough up.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Thinking of chucking one on the front of me 1250 Bandit. Could be good for summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Just put some Goodyear Cargos on the van. Perhaps those would be more suited?

Just jammed a new 21 on rear of 675. Mileage. . . Never recorded. Seemed ok last 2700 was touring SI with panniers.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Running Rosso III's on the Ducati. 1000 kms passed now on the pair.

Previous rears (Rosso Corsa and Rosso II) had died at 5k each - stock front Corsa did 9k.

It's taken a bit of experimenting with tyre pressures on the front Rosso III to get the right 'feel' but I'm now happy. Only 1k down on the rear so far but given the 'D' logo imprinted in the centre maybe 0.5mm tops has just dissolved last weekend early signs are the rear will outlast the previous pair. Time will tell.

Stick really well, and now I've played with front pressures the feedback is good.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Just put some Goodyear Cargos on the van. Perhaps those would be more suited?

Just jammed a new 21 on rear of 675. Mileage. . . Never recorded. Seemed ok last 2700 was touring SI with panniers.
    Hope they have improved Goodyears, last ones I had were crap. But that was good a few years back...

Ended up fitting a metzeler interact 01.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    I'm back with a set of S21's again. After back to back comparisons the S21, PP3 and Power RS, I much prefer the S21. I got 6k out of each rear, but longevity may just go to the RS as it was in slightly better condition when removed.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'm back with a set of S21's again. After back to back comparisons the S21, PP3 and Power RS, I much prefer the S21. I got 6k out of each rear, but longevity may just go to the RS as it was in slightly better condition when removed.
    Just put PR4s on both ends of the SDR. Wasn't particularly impressed with the S21 rear on tour last year, and there's another trip south pending.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Wasn't particularly impressed with the S21 rear on tour last year, and there's another trip south pending.
    Yeah a friend of mine wasn't overly impressed with the rear (S1000RR) until he fitted a front. Then reckoned it transformed the bike and he's sold on them now.

I wasn't a fan of the PR4, but got 10k out of the rear. That front will last a lifetime if my 16k out of a PP3 is anything to go by.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Yeah a friend of mine wasn't overly impressed with the rear (S1000RR) until he fitted a front. Then reckoned it transformed the bike and he's sold on them now.

I wasn't a fan of the PR4, but got 10k out of the rear. That front will last a lifetime if my 16k out of a PP3 is anything to go by.
    Had a matching pair. No problems with the front, and to be fair touring on very aggressive roads in the wet isn't what they're designed for. My reasoning in buying sprots tyres for mixed riding duties was that they would perform better "at need" across the board at some costs in terms of longevity, but the back let go dramatically several times in straight line in the wet. Not immediately or hugely dangerous but not confidence inspiring.

So with more touring planned I went the more sensible way. I loved both PP2s and PR2s, didn't like the soft squirmy carcasses in the PR3 but the 4 feels a lot better. If not for the tour I'd still go for the original OE Dunlops.

Having said all that I'm convinced that most perceptions of performance is down to the few wee niggles you get with any given tyre that are mostly unrelated to the tyre itself. But it's hard to have confidence in a tyre you've had some bad results with, no matter the cause.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    New S21 on the back on Saturday.

Old one leaks, albeit slowly, and is losing shape anyway. Just checked the distance that one has gone - 6400km.

Be nice to have a new hoop.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Yeah I think I'll be ordering another rear next week. Only fitted the last one on the 30/11 and already clocked up 4500km.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Ok just fitted a new rear this morning. Best yet from the old one with 6500km on it and still just road legal with minimum tread at 1.5mm.

Need a new wheel nut though as this one has broken teeth where the locking wire fits. Already replaced the axle nut on the other end when a bearing failed, damaging the nut. Think they might be shit metal?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I'd replaced my rear but its wearing well sitting in the garage whilst the X30 is taking one for the team.
    On the dirt. . .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Im on new Power3s on da sevenfiddy. Will try S21s next I think.
    Did you?

Need to replace the OE BT16s on my 750 and have three options, Power 3's, S21's and T31's. Was heading for the Michelin but can get a deal on the Bridgestones. No track days but all weather road riding which includes a few wet days (it's not Auckland) quite a lot of cold days and a few too many sub zero days. Would like to just swap with BT16's as I have been happy with them but not available in NZ apparently. Never gone past Metzeler on previous bikes due to wet weather confidence which is a biggie for me. After reading this thread I am not as sure about the S21's so wondering how you got on, and how were the Power 3's?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Did you?

Need to replace the OE BT16s on my 750 and have three options, Power 3's, S21's and T31's. Was heading for the Michelin but can get a deal on the Bridgestones. No track days but all weather road riding which includes a few wet days (it's not Auckland) quite a lot of cold days and a few too many sub zero days. Would like to just swap with BT16's as I have been happy with them but not available in NZ apparently. Never gone past Metzeler on previous bikes due to wet weather confidence which is a biggie for me. After reading this thread I am not as sure about the S21's so wondering how you got on, and how were the Power 3's?
    I can highly recommend the M7RR. In the last year or so, they have handled everything from Coromandel on a hot summers day to Northland during a storm without even a hint of drama. A rear lasts about 7000 km on the R1.

They aren't cheap though, about $550 for a 190/55 set is the best I have found.

Thread Information