Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New boots for the ST?

Bike
    So old you won't care

New boots for the ST?

The poor old ST sits unused in the shed while the TR6C gets all the use... The main reason for this oddness is Vicki really does not like the ST very much, or more to the point she really loves the TR6C...

Anyway - after the Polished Rockers do - it was such a nice evening I decided to take the ST 1050 for a ride. I had to (literally) brush the cobwebs off the old girl and top off the tyres. It felt a bit harsh so I stopped and backed off the rear shock which was still in 'pillion' mode (d'oh) but it still felt a little odd. Once I remembered that this is a modern bike and needs to be ridden aggressively and actively the plot started to work a bit better.

Looking at the tyres - well - they are past their best to be honest. They would likely get a wof but they have been on there 3 years and 10K (told you we hardly use it) and they were well used when the bike came to us.

So - as a last gasp to get some enjoyment out of this bike I will give it another flogging with the credit card and get a set of tyres.

It uses 120/70 front and 180/55 rear - its bloody heavy and its main use it 2 up and touring so decent rain performance is a must as it takes it grey colour very seriously... While I'm at it - recommended pressures are 36 / 42 which methinks is why it feels so damn harsh...

Since I'm not that familiar with these fat wheeled monsters I foolishly though I'd ask here - I mean what could go wrong??

So - suggestions of suitable tyres and pressures please?

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    I have a Daytona 955i with similar tyre sizes and i tour a lot.
    Like you the rain is important as i travel in all weathers.
    Currently I'm running the Pilot Road 2 Michellens and I'm on my 3rd set with 1/4 wear left after 48k.
    I find them really good to be honest and they do wear fairly well. Wet riding is not an issue.
    Pressures....i run front at 34-36 ish and the rear at 38-40.
    Seems to work for me, hope its of some help.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I have always used (except just one time) Michelin PR2's and 3's Paul. Tyre pressure was 42 rear and 36 front. I opted for the PR3B Rear which is designed for sports touring or two up riding.

PR2's on my Trimuph ST/CB1300 and 3's on my FZ8 and 1250 FA.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Since you're 2up, you'd want a stiffer carcass in the tyre. PR3 and PR4 standard would likely be too soft, so either the PR3B or PR4 GT for Michelin.

Also consider the Metzeler Z8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Since you're 2up, you'd want a stiffer carcass in the tyre. PR3 and PR4 standard would likely be too soft, so either the PR3B or PR4 GT for Michelin.

Good point re the stiffer carcass. I have been offered Conti road attacks, $500 the pair, fitting extra... Seems a pretty good deal to me BUT like I said, I know nothing about it BUT I'm certain whatever we get will be better than whats fitted...

Looking on the hinternet - Z8's seem to polarise people into lovers and haters...

Cheers

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Oh - thanks for the inputs guys... Really appreciate it...

Bike
    So old you won't care
    So Conti Road attacks OK???

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Road Attack or Road Attack 2 ? The 2's are better than the earlier RA. Pretty sure they offer a heavier duty one now as well for two up heavy bikes. The Contis are on the sporty side of sport touring and wore quicker compared to the Pilot Road 2's I'd had one earlier. Stuck better though :-)

I enjoyed the Brigstone T30's on my Hornet - appear to be hit and miss on KB, love or hate relationship.

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    I personally believe that 36/42 is too much. That is the maximum recommended. I have done about 20,000k on an ST955 and 30,000k on a GT1050..now have a Tiger Explorer. I always squirted 33/34 up front and 36 in back. With a pillion i went up to 34F and 40R..and with pillion and luggage - 36/42. Always had Michelin Pilot Roads, PR2, PR3 and finally when I sold the GT - it had a pr4-GT on front. Best of that lot were the PR2..getting around 16k k's on a rear. The PR3 did not last so well. The front PR3 did about 12k. I only did 5k on the PR4-GT..but it was a nice ride...and showed zero irregular wear at time I sold the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New PR4-GT front.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	490.6 KB 
ID:	320432  

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Road Attack or Road Attack 2 ? The 2's are better than the earlier RA. Pretty sure they offer a heavier duty one now as well for two up heavy bikes. The Contis are on the sporty side of sport touring and wore quicker compared to the Pilot Road 2's I'd had one earlier. Stuck better though :-)

I enjoyed the Brigstone T30's on my Hornet - appear to be hit and miss on KB, love or hate relationship.
    Dunno - I'll find out - normal road attacks I think? For $500 the pair plus fitting I think its a deal..

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Good point re the stiffer carcass. I have been offered Conti road attacks, $500 the pair, fitting extra... Seems a pretty good deal to me BUT like I said, I know nothing about it BUT I'm certain whatever we get will be better than whats fitted...

Looking on the hinternet - Z8's seem to polarise people into lovers and haters...

Cheers
    Had Z8s on my VTR and they felt dead and hard to turn but had just come off BT016s. Pulled them off and put them on my Bandit 1200 and they are fine. No sliding just slow to turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Tyres are very subjective. I've run the same tyres as someone else with the same model bike. I hated the tyres, he loved them.

We can give you our advice and experience, but ultimately you have to ride on them. I've run Contis once on my GSA and they were terrible (the TrailAttack was a curious tyre for the GS/GSA, some loved it, others hated it and had constant shimmys and I was one).

I generally cast around (used over 10 sets of tyres on the GSA now) until I find something I love, and then I stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    bandit

Yeah - I'd got for the PR4s .. I love them on the big bandit. But go for the stiffer GTs for two up touring on a heavy bike

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

I love the Conti Road Attacks on my smaller bandit - very grippy - awesome fun - don't last ... but not a tyre I'd put ona heavy two up tourer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    I personally believe that 36/42 is too much. That is the maximum recommended. I have done about 20,000k on an ST955 and 30,000k on a GT1050..now have a Tiger Explorer. I always squirted 33/34 up front and 36 in back. With a pillion i went up to 34F and 40R..and with pillion and luggage - 36/42. Always had Michelin Pilot Roads, PR2, PR3 and finally when I sold the GT - it had a pr4-GT on front. Best of that lot were the PR2..getting around 16k k's on a rear. The PR3 did not last so well. The front PR3 did about 12k. I only did 5k on the PR4-GT..but it was a nice ride...and showed zero irregular wear at time I sold the bike.
    Depends on the bike and the bike and tyre manufacturers recommendations. I run the big bandit 36/42 - as recommended by the bike manufacturer. I can tell when they are five psi out - feels strange.

Same on the small bandit - tyre manufatucveer recommendation. Suzuki recommends 34/40, but that doesn't seem to suit the conti road attacks.

My PR3s did not as long as the PR2s or the PR4s ... I have no experience of the GTs ...

Tyres are very subjective. I've run the same tyres as someone else with the same model bike. I hated the tyres, he loved them.

We can give you our advice and experience, but ultimately you have to ride on them. I've run Contis once on my GSA and they were terrible (the TrailAttack was a curious tyre for the GS/GSA, some loved it, others hated it and had constant shimmys and I was one).
    Yeah - I had road attacks for a while on the big bandit ... I was forever lifting it up in a corner because it made the bike turn a lot faster than the Pilot Roads ... great on the smaller bandit which I chuck around. Not so good on the big bandit.

Tyres are totally subjective - find one that suits the bike and the wasy you ride it ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I love the Conti Road Attacks on my smaller bandit - very grippy - awesome fun - don't last ... but not a tyre I'd put ona heavy two up tourer.

Tyres are totally subjective - find one that suits the bike and the wasy you ride it ...
    This is what does my head in - they were specifically recommended for good mileage for a heavy sports tourer due to the dual compound curing process... Shit for $500 I'll give em a lash....

Bike
    Its a Boat
    This is what does my head in - they were specifically recommended for good mileage for a heavy sports tourer due to the dual compound curing process... Shit for $500 I'll give em a lash....
    I found the Bridgestone T30 tyre crap Paul, didn't like them. Took them off/sold them and went back to tried and trusted (for me) Michelin.

Thread Information