Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS advice needed

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I've used smartphones with GPS maps, open source maps and Garmin Zumo 550 (100k), Zumo 660 (50k), Zumo 590 (<10k, just fitted a short while ago) since circa 2008. All the Zumos still work, I just couldn't pass up the good prices I got each subsequent one at

It really depends on what you need. Motorcycle specific GPS are better and do cost more. They should be waterproof, reasonably rugged and wired into the bike (so no batteries going flat, struggling for power etc). Zumo is the Garmin motorcycle GPS range, usually with a lower model and a premium model (more bluetooth connections, more functionality like music player etc). You can wire communications to it (3.5 / 2.5 mm jacks) or wireless via bluetooth, plus connect a mobile to it for handling calls also via bluetooth. Adventure riders will go for a different range more suited to their track needs (as opposed to just road routing).

I don't use the Garmin maps, rather http://www.nzopengps.org/ but it is a little more technical. You'll lose speed advisory (Garmin weren't very accurate anyway) and junction view (NZ really isn't big enough to need that) but gain much more accurate maps. That open source project is only Garmin compatible (hence I've used so many Garmins).

If the current setup works for you, keep using it until it breaks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

So I'll say this - sorry, but you are incorrect on every point.
    Using a cellphone for GPS navigation may not be perfect and there may be some things that a dedicated GPS does better, but none of what you mention are valid things.

schoolteacher....?

most of my points valid for me and my phones....

appreciate the fact that there are map apps that work on gps only.....

i didnt know that.

Gremlins contribution i found less condescending, and therefor far more helpfull.

may keep cellphone thing in mind if i my work and play circumstances change enough for me to be able to keep a phone in working order for more then a couple of weeks....

cheers
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    schoolteacher....?

most of my points valid for me and my phones....

appreciate the fact that there are map apps that work on gps only.....

i didnt know that.

Gremlins contribution i found less condescending, and therefor far more helpfull.

may keep cellphone thing in mind if i my work and play circumstances change enough for me to be able to keep a phone in working order for more then a couple of weeks....

cheers
    I'm no school teacher.
    I wasn't aiming to be condescending, just having a friendly debate in which I disagreed with the points you raised.
    If anything I posted was unclear or incorrect then please feel free to question it, I don't mind being challenged and if someone can show where I'm wrong on any point then I get an opportunity to learn something - to me that is always worthwhile!

I don't really get how anyone can claim a cellphone is dearer unless they purchase a cellphone specifically for using GPS apps, but I really wasn't suggesting such a thing - I was suggesting using the cellphone you already own because there is zero cost.
    I'm not really sure how any of your points mentioned in the post that I had quoted are valid for anyone, but I'm happy for clarification on any point you are sure is valid.

I also found Gremlin's post helpful, he mentioned some features of the Garmin GPSs that I've never seen on cellphones.
    To me the cellphone is good in that I already have one and can use it for free, a dedicated GPS is good in other ways but would cost money to buy.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    To me the cellphone is good in that I already have one and can use it for free, a dedicated GPS is good in other ways but would cost money to buy.
    Horses for courses. I do a few km on the bike, I like exploring, finding errors in the maps and reporting it back etc. I continue to use the GPS during thunderstorms, across rivers, bouncing down gravel roads etc. Basically there is no reason I stop using the GPS and it handles all conditions. I also use it as a hub, controlling music stored on it, and controlling my mobile if I want that (not all the time, but sometimes necessary).

Some put a smartphone in the top of a tank bag. Often not really waterproof plus you struggle to use with gloves through plastic etc. I hate a tank bag on the bike unless I have to use one. I can use any combo of panniers, top box, tail pack and tank bag as I require. Your other option is getting a cradle for the phone that mounts on the handle bar. I'm unsure just how waterproof it is, plus how it will handle vibrations. I've got a company mobile, they're not cheap, I'm not testing it Either way, you've got to then keep the phone charged as using the GPS and maps plus screen on all the time chews power. Is that connector waterproof?

Again... horses for courses. I do use tracking on mobile when mountain biking (I can map the trails and supply to include in the mapset) but daily use is purely get me from wherever I am to somewhere. GPS routes can be 5-10 waypoints (and I've had 20+ as well) to make a specific route and can be many hours long...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Horses for courses.
    Exactly!
    It sounds like you get enough use out of the GPS to justify the expenditure on the dedicated unit, in your case you spent the money because it made sense to do so!

I have a waterproof case for my cellphone that attaches to a RAM mount, but it is pretty horrible in bright light, need a really bright screen on the phone to see it through the plastic cover. It works sweet at night or in low light, just really bad in full daylight.
    This is the case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

What I'd like to do is go with a waterproof phone next time and then I could use a case that doesn't put some cheap plastic in front of the screen, should be easier to see then.
    I'm considering buying a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, but I might wait a few months for pricing to get a bit better.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I used my cellphone GPS system on a recent trip (not a bike trip this time, wagon trip) to Whitianga. Just to see how good it was.

Actually, it was pretty good at the guidance part of it. Clear instructions, voice not too hard to listen to. Good volume. Only thing I missed was the name of the next street to turn into. Just "turn right in 400 metres."

I did notice that it gobbled power. And the phone ran pretty hot. Three hours of use and the battery was down to about 40%. Would take most of a week to use that much with what I normally do. The Zumo has always done a lot better than that.

But, yeah, for biking I like the Zumo. Worry free and free maps weekly if you want.

Incidentally, I never use the voice prompts on the bike. I did for a start but got sick of it.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Thread Information