Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bar-end mirrors?

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Ive had them on 3 bikes , ive found alot of wind noise and turbulance/buffeting has gone
    Interesting point of view, rather than stating the obvious 'visual enhancement' which I pointed out in the first post as being the most generally accepted argument for bar ends.

Bike
    CB1300
    I have never owned any but I have used a few.
    For my current steed I wouldn't waste the money unless I already had a broken mirror. The standard ones I have work great.

On the clip ons type bikes I have ridden with them the stock mirrors would have had me looking at the keg rather than the road but the bar end mirrors were less prone to vibes and less obstructed.

On the more upright and wide bars bikes I have ridden they would be more an affectation than benefit but I do think they are less prone to buffeting and wind noise.

I have also ridden an in between upright er6 but with standard narrow bars within an hour of a stock one... they were a real revelation in lack of visibility, Tbh at my size I'd buy wider bars to resolve the problem rather than the mirrors then see how it was.

It really comes back to pros and cons for your installation.

Cons:
    Some models make your bike wider.
    Some models will clash with a fairing.
    Some people almost automatically assume your bike had been dropped when trying to buy it unless you have the stock mirrors handy. Some people will also assume you have been cheap with your maintenance if you were cheap with your farkles.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I wouldnt mind some on the VTR as the stock ones you cant see much out of.

But want ones that last, stay in the position they are put in and fit my Renthal bars. This I have not found yet. But not looked hard either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I wouldnt mind some on the VTR as the stock ones you cant see much out of.

But want ones that last, stay in the position they are put in and fit my Renthal bars. This I have not found yet. But not looked hard either.
    Hmmm I had bar ends on Renthals on my Hornet - got them from Fast Bike Gear. The ones on my Ducati (ordered before I collected the bike!) came from FBG too and they came with two collars to fit steel 22 mm internal bars and alloy (smaller internal hole) bars.

One tip for these is the pivot point is a small plastic type of sphere - i have found that stock the mirrors tend to fold back with wind pressure at high (illegal) speeds. disassemble the mirror and rough up the plastic sphere with some 80 grit sand paper cures this tenancy.

Also if you have a bike with significant factory bar weights (Hornet) the lighter bar end mirror) may induce extra vibration compared to stock. I cured this on the Hornet with some customer stainless steel bar end weights. No issue on the Ducati as it only had plastic plugs in the end of the bars.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Hmmm I had bar ends on Renthals on my Hornet - got them from Fast Bike Gear. The ones on my Ducati (ordered before I collected the bike!) came from FBG too and they came with two collars to fit steel 22 mm internal bars and alloy (smaller internal hole) bars.

One tip for these is the pivot point is a small plastic type of sphere - i have found that stock the mirrors tend to fold back with wind pressure at high (illegal) speeds. disassemble the mirror and rough up the plastic sphere with some 80 grit sand paper cures this tenancy.

Also if you have a bike with significant factory bar weights (Hornet) the lighter bar end mirror) may induce extra vibration compared to stock. I cured this on the Hornet with some customer stainless steel bar end weights. No issue on the Ducati as it only had plastic plugs in the end of the bars.
    I wouldnt buy from him for a start, but even worse if you have to mod the mirrors to make them work.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Ive had them on 3 bikes , ive found alot of wind noise and turbulance/buffeting has gone
    Did a longer ride today. I get a bit of buffeting at speed. Worked out its coming from the mirrors so will look at some bar end ones.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I had some bar end mirrors on the GB400. Aesthetically they really changed the profile of the bike, got rid of the rabbit ears look. Functionally there were some problems with them coming loose. The collet (for inside the handlebars) was a separate piece from the bit that sat outside the bars and clamped the mirror's arm. The two bits were anodised and had a low-friction interface surface. It was also machined with a very generous fitting tolerance, so it never tightened up properly. It had a nasty habit of coming unscrewed while riding. I fixed it by doing some custom machining and making up my own collet components, but then again if you're dropping coin then you shouldn't have to.

Oberon do some high-quality bar end mirrors with the collet integral with the bar end, if you're going to buy then look for that sort of design.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I wouldnt buy from him for a start, but even worse if you have to mod the mirrors to make them work.
    He's a good bugger to purchase from. Knows what he is selling and quick delivery. Purchased a few goodies over the years.

Folding is more a personal thing - I've had the same with very expensive CRG mirrors FBG ones are just as good in quality. I don't fold them back and forth so one set I like them to stay there.

Ebay is full of them - bit of hit and miss for quality though.

Thread Information