Thread: BMW F800s - good or bad?

Bike
    CB750

BMW F800s - good or bad?

Hi there!

I am thinking about buying a BMW F800S. Toke the bike for a ride today and it is extremely comfortable. I was very excited... but when got home and started to watch youtube reviews I've found so many issues.

Mostly around the rotax engine, rear swing-arm play and cambelt position issues. I am quite undecided now as I want a reliable bike and not a bomb.

Anyone with one F800S to share some good/bad experience?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Problem with the shitty old internet is people tend to only post bad shit. Having said that did that model not have anti skid brake issues .......

They were always overpriced for what they are new - hows the used market for them?

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Wanna be rational....?

buy a toyota corolla....

bike you buy because it ticks your boxes....

fuck rational.

( by the by....nothing wrong with rotax engines.... they stick them in all sorts of things, do quite respectable sort of mileages before they shit themselves)
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    See if you can find out if it was early in the series build... IME any model from very early in the model run is more likely to have issues.

Having said that you'd be very unlucky to have a BMW shit itself; or a Rotax engine! Built by BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) whose products include Lear Jets, Ski Doos, Sea Doos, helicopter engines, microlite engines, Can-Am Spyders... the list goes on.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    When I was looking at a mid size road bike (after a series of dual sports), I considered the F800. The early models certainly had the problems listed in this thread, but I think they were sorted in the latest models. But I found the motor buzzy and soul-less. I got an Aprilia Shiver and couldn't be happier.

Bike
    f800r, hank the postie, tfzr125
    I took an 2013 f800r out for a test ride thanks to some top blokes at TSS, ended up incredibly surprised by it.

Engine is a beaut, great low down torque, and a bit of a whoa hang on when it really kicks in at 5500+.

The ABS is pretty touchy, and I suspect it only rides as well as it does because of an Ohlins rear, and re-done forks. The stock suspension is a bit shit from what I hear. Factory heated grips are tops, and it's pretty comfy for longish rides

Ended up taking it home the same day and trading in my 500EXC 'tard it was so good.

No idea about the R vs S though ! They do have a cheap f800s at TSS Im sure they 'd let you have a spin on, since Im not really helping at all !

Bike
    2008 BMW K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Problem with the shitty old internet is people tend to only post bad shit. Having said that did that model not have anti skid brake issues .......

They were always overpriced for what they are new - hows the used market for them?
    Yes, take it with a grain of salt as most people don't post up good things about their rides, only bad shit that is sometimes there own fault and nothing to do with the model of bike.
    I have only ridden the current model and I found it pretty decent for a 800 twin. the one I tried had the ESA rear shock and all the other extras. I found the front a wee fit soft even though they are USD now, the steering was very light. the seat was a bit hard and with the step up for the pillion it really restricted movement on the seat. The dials where fantastic with heaps of info available and being able to adjust the front light was pretty cool (LED only, halogen only or both). One thing on the display I did not like was the fact that it only shows the top half of the fuel range, when it gets to half it says less than have a tank and gives you a range top empty. Id rather have a full fuel bar read out as I never trust the distance to empty on bikes, including my BMW as its never correct. The motor is pretty good and will last a long time. Remember BMW use this 800 twin in a lot of there bikes in different forms of tune.
    I had the bike for a day and travelled about 600km on it. I found the ergo's to be rather comfy (exept the firm seat - buy an airhawk or gel cover) and the grips where hard (put on a set of grip puppies). I think this model bike is worth looking at.
    On a side note, these bikes are used as stunt bikes throughout Europe.

Thread Information