Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting started with racing?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Ive seen some fairly cheap gsxr / early R1 and ZX10's, .
    Personally, I think it's a mistake lots of people make, trying to start out racing the big boys. Yes I know you've done lots of time on big bores, but racing 'em is a diff kettle of fish. Honestly, often the slowest bikes can be the most fun. As in the Ninja 300's or whatever they're doing now. Hard out racing with fuck all between the bikes, sorts the men from the boys.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Personally, I think it's a mistake lots of people make, trying to start out racing the big boys. Yes I know you've done lots of time on big bores, but racing 'em is a diff kettle of fish. Honestly, often the slowest bikes can be the most fun. As in the Ninja 300's or whatever they're doing now. Hard out racing with fuck all between the bikes, sorts the men from the boys.
    Case in point was where I finished ahead of a Ducati 1198, with slicks and tyres warmers on my 1988 VFR400 with sport touring tyres on Ruapuna full track in a clubmans race. Better off riding something smaller and getting the most out of it than something faster which you are terrified of.

Only class you will be able to run a 600 or thou in CAMS is in the modern class which usually attracts a few quick riders. For MCI you would most likely have to race clubmans before they let you out with the big boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Part it out. Uncompetitive in any class these days.
    see now, that points up a major difference north v south....At several meetings in a season, CAMS run a pre 89 F3 class - which gets a reasonable and growing entry. It's well contested by some good riders too. And a well ridden NC30 is still capable of doing very well.
    On the other hand, if you've got to run one in an all-in up to pre 89 class race incl thou's, nah, you'd be very tempted to walk away...
    And we've got the short technical circuits to make this racing worthwhile.

Bike
    suzuki
    clearly you haven't been near a post classic race track recently, i'd put money on it that it's the best bike one can buy for racing in pre89 and i think i actually go to more races than you and actually watch them.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    see now, that points up a major difference north v south....At several meetings in a season, CAMS run a pre 89 F3 class - which gets a reasonable and growing entry. It's well contested by some good riders too. And a well ridden NC30 is still capable of doing very well.
    On the other hand, if you've got to run one in an all-in up to pre 89 class race incl thou's, nah, you'd be very tempted to walk away...
    And we've got the short technical circuits to make this racing worthwhile.
    not quite, there's some seriously quick North Island ones too.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    a well ridden NC30 is still capable of doing very well.
    Fuck, that part rules me out! I do remember a certain Phil Muir cleaning up at Methven a few years in a row on a NC30 (sexy bike).
    My NC24 would have done ok if I could have put better tyres and rider on board Engine did ok with my 50 something kgs on board.

With our B track I imagine a 400 could win pre '89 outright vs some of the seven fiddys and thous. Horses for courses.

Back on topic, what classes do they run regularly down at Teretonga? Any post classic go on down there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    can someone tell Jason Hulme that.....whenever I se him up here he's motoring.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    can someone tell Jason Hulme that.....whenever I se him up here he's motoring.
    it's just Drewpy off his meds again and talking shorthand.

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    it's just Drewpy off his meds again and talking shorthand.

Bike
    motocompo
    All the opinions on here are valid & come from people that are doing it or have done it.
    In about '86 I was riding a Katana1100 on the road (still have it) & I was about to buy an ex crashed GPZ500s to go racing on, I mentioned the impending purchase to Robbie Dean, he promptly talked me out of it & for the same price, sold me his retired race bike, the third GSXR1100 ever built, disassembled in boxes.
    He watched me put it back together & then helped me hone my racecraft on it.
    The kickback was that it was similar to, but better than the Katana, as a result, my road riding ended up in a class of its own, even recently, the motor reconditioned that worked at the bottom of the third ave hill back then asked me how it was possible to ride the Katana down the hill sideways, with the front wheel in the air.
    The point I'm making is, that if this chum wants to get better on his road r1, & I think that's a major bonus of racing, then the expierence may not come from riding a bucket, he needs a big ole bucking bronco, not a child's bike.

Bike
    GPR150
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    All the opinions on here are valid & come from people that are doing it or have done it.
    In about '86 I was riding a Katana1100 on the road (still have it) & I was about yo buy an ex crashed GPZ500s to go racing on, I mentioned the impending purchase to Robbie Dean, he promptly talked me out of it & for the same price, sold me his retired race bike, the third GSXR1100 ever built, disassembled in boxes.
    He watched me put it back together & then helped me hone my racecraft on it.
    The kickback was that it was similar to, but better than the Katana, as a result, my road riding ended up in a class of its own, even recently, the motor reconditioned that worked at the bottom of the third ave hill back then asked me how it was possible to ride the Katana down the hill sideways, with the front wheel in the air.
    The point I'm making is, that if this chum wants to get better on his road r1, & I think that's a major bonus of racing, then the expierence may not come from riding a bucket, he needs a big ole bucking bronco, not a child's bike.
    you under underestimate what a bucket can do for you
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by mr bucketracer;1130959222d
    you under underestimate what a bucket can do for you
    Do they have 160hp, do 260kmh & stop like a full wine barrel?
    Can they do tyre smoking drifts on the throttle? I think you underestimate a big banger too.
    Personally I struggle with a small bike, I prefer the largeness of a full sized bike under me, they feel less likely to spit me out at no notice like a small bike does.
    I'm sure tigertim will have a preference & make his own mind up based on what he probably already kind of wants & what he reads.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Do they have 160hp, do 260kmh & stop like a full wine barrel?
    Can they do tyre smoking drifts on the throttle? I think you underestimate a big banger too.
    Next time you see Robbie, ask if he actually enjoyed punting his last GSXR1100 around levels.....

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Is Robbie Dean the guy who used to race a Norton Commando?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    sidecar sv1000s cb600
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Is Robbie Dean the guy who used to race a Norton Commando?
    I have seen that bike somewhere before 😈

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thread Information