Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Getting started with racing?

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    THREAD DREDGE.

Im now within spitting distance of buying a bike to race. Money is there, and Im fizzing to get something.

Having re-read everything on here several times, I have decided a few things, and have a couple of questions.

Ive decided I dont want to go into buckets.
    Ive also decided that going onto a litre bike is not likely to be the best benefit to me.

So, I have a low budget (very low, Im not buying anything late model here!)

Im thinking about options like ex250, cbr / vfr / zxr 400's, of which there are a few floating around - I see that several are 1989 models, which made me wonder, is it worthwhile getting something like a 1989 inline 4 400, and racing in pre '89 and another class as well? - my thinking here is that if I have a bike thats rideable in two classes, Ill get more race time = more learning time = more improvement.

or maybe a 600. I dont get real turned on by the 650 twins though - but a compelling argument might sway me.

SO my questions are: what bikes might be able to be cross entered in different classes? -

I dont have the money for an ex300, but could go for a 250 - are those classes fairly supported in my area?

Im interested in mostly racing at levels and teretonga, and the odd ruapuna when I can get that far away.

FWIW - im 6 feet, and fluctuate between 70kg, and 90 kg, depending on whether im in camp or not, if that influences suggestions for a good bike.

Ive got about 20 bikes on various watchlists and I need to make a choice!
    The real money is spent after buying your bike.

Bike
    Goose
    Deano's selling his pro-twin.....
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1217338559
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    well I bought an '89 cbr400.

Now to piss around sorting a club to join, and a licence etc etc etc.

thanks for the input from you all, it was helpful in coming to a decision.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    another dredge. in the off chance anyone gives a fuck.

I bought the cbr400 for CAMS. did a test day on it, and was great fun untill halfway own the straight at Teretonga it made a sound similar to a cupfull of bolts tossed in a food blender

a New sparkplug had destroyed itself inside the cylinder, then caused additional untold calamities inside the bore. Yay.
    I rebuilt it after finding a new head and new bores, and did another test day and had a blast. Then the wife wanted another house so out it went.

2018 rolls around and I see a '14 R6 for sale and Ive always liked them, and thought it would be fun to have a little sister to the big boy road bike so I bought it, spent a bunch of money on race fairings and all that crap, then tucked it in the shed late 2018 thinking, Ill wait till theres a race meeting nearby.

Fast forward to about two months ago, and after recovering from a broken ankle of the dirt bike, I decided Time to give this thing an actual nudge. In those two months its been out to 3 meetings so far, and shit, what a blast!
    I said from the start im not out to win championships, but Im having a good time and making noticeable improvements everytime I take it out which is nice. Ive set some goals in terms of laptimes, and am just enjoying the process and the exhilaration of being out there.

Im glad for the 600, its fast enough down the straights to be fun, without being scary fast, and Im just working on finding a small thing to work on every time I go out for a race, grow confidence in the tyres and grip at lean etc, and Im looking into some coaching to develop a bit.

Im now thinking about acquiring some tyre warmers, even just to remove the doubt around grip levels on cold tyres in the first few laps out each time.

Wish I had pulled the trigger and done this sooner, its a blast, and the pits so far seem to be full of pretty good buggers who all enjoy a yarn between races.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Im now thinking about acquiring some tyre warmers, even just to remove the doubt around grip levels on cold tyres in the first few laps out each time.

Wish I had pulled the trigger and done this sooner, its a blast, and the pits so far seem to be full of pretty good buggers who all enjoy a yarn between races.
    tyre warmers increase the life of the tyres too, good investment

Thread Information