Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting started with racing?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

Getting started with racing?

Hope I can get some direction from the racing crew on here.

Im looking to get started racing, but not sure where to start.

Ive recently had birthday that has reminded me that Im getting a bit old, and since Ive been hooked on trackdays for the last few years, Ive been frustrated at the lack of regular have a go type events, so Im looking into going racing, and have started looking around for bikes that might make good trackbikes.

Im a competent track rider, but by no means the fastest out there, and I've no illusions of winning championships, I just want to get out there and do it.

What I dont know is, what are the restrictions on various classes, i.e. eligibility of machinery and mods?

where would I go to find that kind of information?

Bike
    '06 vfr 800 81 GS550 postie
    How about Post Classics, cheap way into racing, real friendly bunch, not intimidating, and loads of opportunities to run I bought a GS550, fully ready to race (its for sale actually), and it's been reliable and fun all the way. I was a newbie to racing mid 50's!
    lucky bastard

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by liljegren View Post
    How about Post Classics, cheap way into racing, real friendly bunch, not intimidating, and loads of opportunities to run I bought a GS550, fully ready to race (its for sale actually), and it's been reliable and fun all the way. I was a newbie to racing mid 50's!
    could be an option i guess.i suppose for a start i need to find out what classes are run, and what bikes are eligible to enter each class, as i do have some preferences to the types of bike id prefer to ride

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Get an EX300 and ride in the new Lightweight Production class, Kevin Goddard has a very nice one for sale, or buy a wreck and build one up
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    What are you riding on the track now?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    What are you riding on the track now?
    my every day road bike, '08 R1.

I hold myself back a lot though because its my pide and joy and I have an aversion to destroying my baby.

I want a dedicated tack bike that I won't have a sentimental attachment to

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    I want a dedicated tack bike that I won't have a sentimental attachment to
    Gotta walk before you can run and all that shit. Start out in THE most competitive small class. Go from there.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Sorta two ways to look at it, from my point of view.

You either really want to get into it. Speak to your local club, something around 250cc (light weight production class kinda thing). The machines are very even so it comes down to racecraft. They're also cheap to fix up when you make mistakes, come off etc and the speed isn't as great. You'll learn racecraft which will be handy when you step to a bigger, more powerful class. No need (and often not allowed) to spend heaps on suspension, tuning etc.

Or, you kinda just want to get out there, enjoy the track, the day. More participation than getting on the podium, that kinda thing. Then look for something mid capacity. Auckland has clubmans which is run what you have, with some restrictions to stop people robbing it. It's also seen as a stepping point, so you can dip your toes in the water, see what you want etc. However, racecraft would be better learnt amongst the actual racers. See if your local club has something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2008 Husqvarna 450 motard
    Check out Hamilton MCC winter series coming up at Taupo First round 8th May. They pretty much will have a class for whatever machine you want to race.
    Great way to start racing. If you are keen race your R1 in the clubmans class. I know its your pride and joy, but may save money on forking out for another bike. But otherwise, there is plenty of machinery ready to race out there. Best not to get too hung up on having the latest and greatest on the grid, because no matter what you ride or what class, its a whole heap of fun.
    Sean

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Get an EX300 and ride in the new Lightweight Production class, Kevin Goddard has a very nice one for sale, or buy a wreck and build one up
    If you are indeed in Dunedin, this is the way to go. This class is well supported at all the circuits within easy reach of you. A season or two in this and then you can look at where you want to go. Plus the bike will hold resale value.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    My only advice. Avoid 'clubmans' like the fucken plague it is. Squids with no fucking clue, learning terrible habits from slightly faster squids.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    I started racing a year ago on a 1988 VFR400. Bike was good as it gave me plenty of track time due to being able to cross enter on a given weekend in two classes. Track time is key to learning and it worked well for that. I have now sold it and bought a bucket as the bucket/development/production classes down here are really competitive with lots of racing and overtaking, something that I wasn't getting to do too much on my vfr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    GPR150
    you could man up and race the hard mans class
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr-pvMD0h7s
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    thanks for the advice so far folks.

Seems like the first step is to make contact with the local clubs, I am in Dunedin, is OMCC the only club that goes racing down this way? I looked on their website and couldnt see much about racing, apart from a bethunes gully event coming up.

I wont have a whole lot of coin to spend on a bike, so Im realistic in the sense that Ill be getting out there and seeing how I go, mostly just for fun. If I do ok then I might consider putting more money into later model machinery and getting realy competitive, but right now Im at the "I really want to get out there and have a go' stage.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    thanks for the advice so far folks.

Seems like the first step is to make contact with the local clubs, I am in Dunedin, is OMCC the only club that goes racing down this way? I looked on their website and couldnt see much about racing, apart from a bethunes gully event coming up.

I wont have a whole lot of coin to spend on a bike, so Im realistic in the sense that Ill be getting out there and seeing how I go, mostly just for fun. If I do ok then I might consider putting more money into later model machinery and getting realy competitive, but right now Im at the "I really want to get out there and have a go' stage.
    Well being in Dunedin you a smack tween two tracks. OMCC so far as I know only hold the occasional hill climb and track days at levels. Plenty of racing goes on at Ruapuna, Levels and Teretonga though so it matters not which club you join, just that you are a member of one. I would suggest a reliable pre '89 bike like I ran which can be cross entered into (for want of a better word) 'modern' classes. That way you can do CAMS, MCI, OMCC and the whatever the local invercarrrrrrgil club is events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information