Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY dyno

Bike
    KR-1S, KR1-SV, KXR500, ZXR 4/600

DIY dyno

Found some free software to make a DIY dyno, so off course I had to give it a try
    thought this was a proper section for it, as it's like building a "buckett" dyno

software is here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2017678

had it's first run today :

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/jan...2.mp4.html?o=0

not finished yet. I am using a small electric motor as inertia mass which off course isn't enough , as I do not have the space to store a large dyno
    but it's from a forklift and I have the hydraulic pump attached to it (free from work ) . still need to make some oil tubing, fit an adjustable preasure valve into the system and a small oil tank. I'm hoping I can adjust the preasure in the system in such a way, that the resitance/inertia of the motor is so that it takes about 10 seconds to get to max rpm. I don't care about the HP numbers that come out , all I want is something that can pretty accurate give me a power graph, and that I can see if my "tuning" makes it better or not.

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    Quote Originally Posted by JanBros View Post
    Found some free software to make a DIY dyno, so off course I had to give it a try
    thought this was a proper section for it, as it's like building a "buckett" dyno

software is here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2017678

had it's first run today :

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/jan...2.mp4.html?o=0

not finished yet. I am using a small electric motor as inertia mass which off course isn't enough , as I do not have the space to store a large dyno
    but it's from a forklift and I have the hydraulic pump attached to it (free from work ) . still need to make some oil tubing, fit an adjustable preasure valve into the system and a small oil tank. I'm hoping I can adjust the preasure in the system in such a way, that the resitance/inertia of the motor is so that it takes about 10 seconds to get to max rpm. I don't care about the HP numbers that come out , all I want is something that can pretty accurate give me a power graph, and that I can see if my "tuning" makes it better or not.
    We use simple dyno for ours. Works great, with an arduino and a pick up coil.
    We manage to get exactly the same readings for multiple pulls after the engine is warmed up.

Better Link
    https://sites.google.com/site/simpledyno/file-cabinet

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C

Bike
    GPR150
    will post some pictures later of mine, built 3 so far , 1 motorcycle and 2 kart engine ones
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Very cool.

However

Mine is the best. No doubt.

The Seat of Pants Dyno.

Every time I spend lots on things like mufflers or carbon or fancy levers the SoPD tells me it was money well invested with measurable gains .......

Bike
    GPR150
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0221.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	320712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0466.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	320713 what kind are you planning on building
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    GPR150
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0469.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	320714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0473.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	320715some more
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    GPR150
    Kart on my bike dyno��Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160309_161648.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	439.2 KB 
ID:	320716we are on the bottom of the world lol
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    MT-10
    String, skateboard, bungee cord and a pencil is what i use seems pretty accurate though ymmv

Bike
    got it working and started playing with preasures, and it worked - ish :-s

raising the preasure slowed down the rise of rev's, but once over 20bar, the engine wouldn't reach it's max rpm any longer. maybe the output line was too slow and limited the flow of the oil ? don't know, but it was enough to ditch the thing

So came up with another idea
    it needed to be pure inertia so there are no limits, but small and not too heavy so I can put it in a corner out of my way. So I tried a complete electric motor/reduction/drivetrain from a pallet truck or a stacker (don't know, it was lying on the shelf at work with broken mountings).
    thought was : drive the traction wheel with the rear wheel of the moped, and as there are 2 reductions in the unit, the lightweight motor has some serious inertia due to it's high rev's when used in reverse. And it works like a charm

http://nl.tinypic.com/r/2zf1kbk/9

in the middle when the rev's drop a bit, that's when the vario opens.

So now I need to have a vario in a fixed position so I can see engine improvements, and than find the best vario setup, all without having to leave my shed
    at the end of the video, you se the other side of the electric motor, and a magnetic brake normaly goes on there, so in case of emergency, I know even have a brake 8)

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    And it works like a charm http://nl.tinypic.com/r/2zf1kbk/9
    So now I need to have a vario in a fixed position so I can see engine improvements, and than find the best vario setup, all without having to leave my shed
    Great work, I love it.

Bike
    spent the whole day on the dyno, getting to know it, find out how to wotk with it, and get the settings right.

first I measured the MOI (cord arround the wheel, pulley, bucket of water, ...). got a MOI of 9.78kg/mē. so changed dimensions for the roller in the program to get the same MOI.
    did some runs, put couldn't get any usable power figures (only like 0.00xx BHP).
    so started changing dimensions/weight of the roller and finaly got a figure of about 2.5/3 BHP (moi was than about 2kg/mē).

next up : excluding the vario. blocked it in the short gearing position, but than a run lastet hardly 2 seconds
    so blocked in in the longest gearing position. Only to face a new problem : because the clutch comes after the vario, it now spinned at a much higher rpm, making it come on at very low engine rev's. too low for the engine. Putted the stiffest clutch-springs I had in it and the engine just managed it

http://nl.tinypic.com/r/11r3qr8/9

very pleased with the result, now the real work can begin

Bike
    Norton Manx
    http://nl.tinypic.com/r/11r3qr8/9 spent the whole day on the dyno, getting to know it, find out how to wotk with it, and get the settings right.

very pleased with the result, now the real work can begin

Good work ...
    Factual Facts are based on real Fact and Universal Truths. Alternative Facts by definition are not based on Truth.

Bike
    been playing for 2 days, me happy with the result
    full line is result, stripes is what it was. only thing that changed : other cylinderhead and programable ignition.

about 20% more power (graphs are with vario working) and on average over 5km/h faster after x seconds 8)

Bike
    Norton Manx
    CVT, very interesting. The dyno curves are different to what I am used to seeing with geared bikes. Can you tell me what to look for in a CVT dyno curve.
    Factual Facts are based on real Fact and Universal Truths. Alternative Facts by definition are not based on Truth.

Thread Information