Thread: Thumpstar - Forza : so what's the thoughts after long-term ownership?

Bike
    Aprilia RS250, RS125

Thumpstar - Forza : so what's the thoughts after long-term ownership?

Hi there,
    So my kids are finally at the age of being able to ride bikes around the paddock. I've been waiting for this moment to provide the excuse to get soemthing with knobblies and learn how to ride off-road properly, been a road rider for 25 yrs but never had the chance on dirt before. We're keen to get a few bikes so the family can ride together but on a budget and so have been looking at the offerings from Forza and Thumpstar. Reading the threads, there doesn't seem to be much long-term owner feedback on them. Are they all dead after a season or two? Do they cost more to keep alive than just buying the usual jap brand bikes? Are they up to regular trail riding??

I'm also keen to know if something like the FMX140 BF or TSX125 BW would be large and powerful enough to keep an 80kg novice rider like me happy for a few yrs? I'm a dirt virgin but always keen to go hard.

Cheers!

Bike
    A fast one
    Saw a Forza bike on a west coast beach over the weekend - the owner had the chain and sprockets clogged with sand and the bike wouldn't move. After suggesting they get some water to wash off the sand, they eventually got it moving again, although no doubt it's now rusty as heck!

From the brief amount of time I saw it, they looked alright for the price however didn't appear to be super reliable. It took the guy plenty of kicks to get it started and continue running and the overall quality of the build didn't look like up to a Honda/Suzuki standard by comparison.

For $800 though? Looked pretty fun.

Like any bike, if you keep it in good condition I'm sure it'll last and keep going well.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    get a thumpstar since their head office in NZ is in Dunedin... if you were in auckland i'd say go for the forza --- both the same, both OK for what you pay, both will need the chassis re-assembled to be as good as it can be, motors last forever being licoln/zongshen/lifan honda clones

Bike
    Between bikes
    Relevant to my interests here. Considering getting a mini for the 6yo to have a go on. But don't want to drop $2-3k on something if she won't take interest in it.

Oddly I don't ever recall seeing a second hand Forza/Thumpster for sale?

Anyone recommend a type of bike to start em out on - I am guessing semi-auto, 50 or 70cc or so? She's tall for her age.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Aprilia RS250, RS125
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    get a thumpstar since their head office in NZ is in Dunedin... if you were in auckland i'd say go for the forza --- both the same, both OK for what you pay, both will need the chassis re-assembled to be as good as it can be, motors last forever being licoln/zongshen/lifan honda clones
    Thanks for the feedback. When you say chassis reassembled do you mean that the swingarm linkages and head set need rebuilding/bearing replacement/greasing?

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    mostly need shims installed as the tolerance is so poor in the frame builds --- regrease and torque while you're there as almost all my locknuts weren't even tightened to have the lock-lips touching the threads--- quick once over though and it'll keep going and going -- I have a TSR88-PRo from thumpstar which has taken me up some gnarly stuff and i'm 90KG

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    What I will say is NZ Motor Factory back their product (Forza) very well and are committed to providing parts for them. For example, I was EXTREMELY ruthless on my 155 at an event over Easter weekend to the point of abusing the poor thing into submission, dropping a valve and buggering the head. Frank at NZ Motor Factory came through with a full replacement head, valves and everything installed ready to fit. Took a day to get here. When the Thumpstar boys (and the product's very similar) were up here pitching at us to become a dealer, I asked about the parts supply and they said they stocked no engine parts (pistons, rings etc) as they just sold customers complete motors as replacement. Bit like chucking the baby out with the bath water in my eyes, not that that's necessarily a bad thing if you'd met my a-hole kids..........
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Thread Information