Thread: Honda GB400 NC20 Help Please

Bike
    GB400

Honda GB400 NC20 Help Please

Hi all
    I live in the South West of West Australia and I have purchased a 1988 GB400 which I am fixing up as a project with my son. It is missing a few important parts and I am struggling to find anyone over here that knows much about them. Do any members have knowledge of these bikes and where I could buy some parts?
    The hard to get bits I need:

Carby
    CDI unit
    Coil pack
    Side Covers
    Speedo
    lenses for the tail light and indicators

I also need speedo cable, clutch cable, decompressor cable, throttle assembly, starter motor and cover, service manual

I was also wondering if other model parts are interchangeable. eg XR400

Great forum. Hope someone can help.

Cheers Brian

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ravenscroft View Post
    Hi all
    I live in the South West of West Australia and I have purchased a 1988 GB400 which I am fixing up as a project with my son. It is missing a few important parts and I am struggling to find anyone over here that knows much about them. Do any members have knowledge of these bikes and where I could buy some parts?
    The hard to get bits I need:

Carby
    CDI unit
    Coil pack
    Side Covers
    Speedo
    lenses for the tail light and indicators

I also need speedo cable, clutch cable, decompressor cable, throttle assembly, starter motor and cover, service manual

I was also wondering if other model parts are interchangeable. eg XR400

Great forum. Hope someone can help.

Cheers Brian
    the carb is a one off only made for the gb400/500 go mikuni as this is a much better option see link http://www.mikuni-topham.de/ENGLISHS...40-6_main.html

gb's run a 12v ignition system xr's are proper cdi, second hand for the ignition module & coil is your best option

side covers are no longer made and haven't been for at least 10 years, same with the speedo, indicator lenses, tail light. once again all one off items go aftermarket or second hand. try the New Zealand wreckers or trade me as lots of gb's where sold here and plenty have been wrecked or turned into bobbers.

quite a few engine parts are interchangeable with the xr's and I have seen xr600 pistons and barrels grafted on to gb's. quite a bit of machining and mix and match is required to get this to work. the other option is 650 dominator engine transplant.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    for the cables, if you can figure out measuring the required length, you can get new ones made up easily, any local motorcycle shop should be able to arrange for you for only a few beer tokens.

even easier if you still have the outer, but that should be easy to sort.

Bike
    suzuki
    try econohonda in te aroha that's there specialty

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    call malcolm at econohonda in te aroha (search in google) he was very helpful for parts with me and very knowledgable regarding the bike

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    2016 Yamaha MT-07

GB400 help

I had a GB400 and rode to work for nine years. I sold it recently and still got a good price for it. I am trying to help a friend who cant get one to run but I passed the copy of the manual I had with mine. He seems to have fuel, compression and spark but I think he may have, at some time connected the battery the wrong way round. I suspect that some damage has been done to the ignition trigger device that is now giving it the wrong timing? As you will know the right battery is hard to come by. So could someone confirm or correct if it is Earth/negative is to the left end of the battery?

Steven42.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Thread Information