Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons learned the hard way

Bike
    2/'79 XR500s, 04 KLX400, 1953CycleMotor

Lessons learned the hard way

>> Dont assume that because the manual says the'Reserve' is 2 litres,, that there is 2 litres left when main is empty......Pushed home

>> Dont assume that just because you can stretch an 18inch tube onto a 21inch rim, thats it'll also go on a 23inch rim. Another long walk.

>>Dont try to figure out parts of your bike when miles from anywhere. (Like seeing if the steering lock on the headset works.
    It may lock the steering just fine,, but will it unlock?) Hour and a half frantic key wriggling.

>>Weetbix travel well,, untill the going gets bumpy. Sludge for breakfast.

>> Dont forget to put a new master-link in your spares when you change chain/sproks. Luckily Mrs close enough to perform a rescue.No walk!

Please add your 'DOH!' moments so I dont feel quite so stupid....

Bike
    CB1300
    Just because the tap is turned to the markings that say reserve doesn't mean it is on reserve.
    Nearly an hours kicking later out of desperation I tried off and sure enough away it went. Kind of fits with your don't try parts on your bike a long way from home, that was the first time using reserve.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Sounds like the long weekend didn't go to plan then ?
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Adjusted my chain, again, before a 1500k ride, should replace that when I get home.....

It's a bloody long walk across the waitaki bridge when it gets off.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Just because the tap is turned to the markings that say reserve doesn't mean it is on reserve.
    Nearly an hours kicking later out of desperation I tried off and sure enough away it went. Kind of fits with your don't try parts on your bike a long way from home, that was the first time using reserve.

Sent via tapatalk.
    had the same sort of thing on my fzr750 trying to start it and had gas in the tank but low so put on reserve only to almost wind the battery flat before trying the main mark on tap ( should have realised earlier as the pump was clicking loudly). started straight away. some muppet had put the hoses on the tap the wrong way around.
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    CB1300
    For me the Ring with the marks on it was installed upside down.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    BMW R850RT
    Put your gloves back on before attempting to pull the bike back out of a Hawthorn hedge . . .

Bike
    Predator
    Don't trust an HD fuel guage

If you have to fix one perished fuel hose, best replace them all

A 40 year old chain is a 40 year old chain, even if it's been sitting in your shed for 25 years.

In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    If your having a vigorous trail ride with gorse and bushes hemming the trail and your bike starts to run rough, won't idle etc. Check your handle bar mounted choke lever before you get the spanners out.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2/'79 XR500s, 04 KLX400, 1953CycleMotor

HaHa,

Classic! Wish this forum had 'like' button.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    A 40 year old chain is a 40 year old chain, even if it's been sitting in your shed for 25 years.
    Bikes in them days were built of proper steel, not this modern lightweight stuff...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    When adding oil, make sure you know how to set the bike up (side/centre stand option)before filling it.
    Then make sure you can see the OIL in the sight glass, not some mystery line, which is actually sticking to the outside.

Mystery lines wipe off, even if they look like an oil level in certain light conditions.

Luckily I had already drained the oil and was adding fresh stuff, nothing like doing something twice to get the hang of it.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    You know that convention where you put your left food down when stopping, supposedly 'cause you might need the brake but probably not the gear lever?

Actually dates back to the age of Aquarius, stubbies, Fred Dagg, fondue parties, Blerta, and 32" flared Levis...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Sold
    Don't assume that new liners will be properly installed in a Tiger 100 by so-called professionals .

I was a student in the UK at the time and the Tiger 100 was my only form of transport. Had the engine rebuilt and the new liners rotated. The cut-outs for the con-rods did a good job of shaving alloy off the con rods and filling the oilways. You can guess what happened next.

Got no redress from the dealer but was able to buy a second hand motor for a tenner which was a great option as it was totally reliable (apart from the inevitable oil leaks)! The other photo shows the bike in its entirety (when I was slim and had hair)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Damaged Tiger 100 engine.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	320786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55 Tiger 100.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	320787  

Thread Information