Thread: Anakee 3 - how do they fare on wet gravel roads & roadworks?

Bike
    2015 Suzuki Wee-Strom

Anakee 3 - how do they fare on wet gravel roads & roadworks?

I need some new tyres to replace the stock ones on the wee-strom. I use the bike for commuting from TGA to AKl and TGA to Hamilton, so mostly tarmac and I want something that's a bit more confident in the wet. However, my route to Hamilton takes me over a windy gravel road as a 20 minute shortcut each way, and so I need something that's not going to be lethal. I don't mind taking the long way if need be when it's hosing it down, but in normal winter damp / wet then I'd still like to be able to go the gravel road and not crap myself at the sight of a roadworks sign if they are resurfacing. So the Anakee's have been recommended. Any thoughts / comments?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    The Anakee 3 is realistically a 90/10 tyre. While it's called a dual purpose tyre, it's about as road biased as you will find. That said, it's not going to get cut to ribbons like a PR4 for example, and has some nifty features like the serated edge of the grooves. The centre of the tyre has a lot of grooves, and the edge has almost nothing (which gives you a clue to the edge being very road biased.

However, if you're doing a lot of tarmac and a little gravel, then yes, it's probably the right tyre. If you're doing more gravel, either you go for something like the TKC70, or move to a block pattern tyre, but they've got definite trade offs for wet weather grip etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki Wee-Strom
    Thanks. probably closer to 99% tarmac of I'm honest, but I want to be sure I don't have certain death first time I try that 1%. Being honest I'm happy to nanna ride the gravel at 30-40 kph, so not going to be leaning over.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Thanks. probably closer to 99% tarmac of I'm honest, but I want to be sure I don't have certain death first time I try that 1%. Being honest I'm happy to nanna ride the gravel at 30-40 kph, so not going to be leaning over.
    Realistically, you can ride any road tyre on gravel, people were doing it for years before they brought out adventure tyres and split the market into a million categories.

Adventure bikes are a compromise and so are tyres. You pick something that suits your needs, but the tyre doesn't magically fail when used for something else. I've ridden gravel on the Pilot Road 4 before, but it's a soft tyre and you're more at risk of damaging the tyre. Equally, I've ridden more agressive tyres on the road, they just don't grip or handle like the PR4...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki Wee-Strom
    Much obliged Gremlin. Although you've failed to hurl abuse, tell me to buy a Harley / 'busa or that it doesn't matter, as long as I'm outrunning the 'po-po, thereby breaking all rules of KB.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    What if you stepped back a generation of tyres? Perhaps look at the PR3 series or something which is a little harder in the compound, to wear a little better on gravel? Or, just go with PR4 and accept that they may wear a bit faster because of the gravel use?
    Just thinking out loud...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I often ride gravel on my T30 shod TDM. Wet clay can cause a little tension, but it does on anything that's not knobblie. I'm not a fan of wet grass either. I had dual purpose tires on it, Pirelli MT90AT and Shinko 705's. Both compromised on the road. The Shinko lacked wet grip and the Pirelli had too shallow a profile, I would run out of rubber.

On gravel I ride to the conditions, get my breaking done early and corner with a bit of gas. Jobs a carrot. Once I forget I'm riding a behemoth it's great fun.

Riding various bikes on gravel I've formed the opinion that tire width matters more than tread pattern. The skinny dual purpose tires on the wee trailies, 705's again, stick like poo to the blanket, cut through the marbles quickly and bite. I prefer them to knobbies which will continue to slide when they get to the hard pack. Fatter tires move a lot more before they can get through the loose stuff.

I've had no issues with gravel damaging the T30's. I should imagine roosting everywhere might change that.

But yeah, na. I wouldn't sweat it to much. Get out your comfort zone and get your bum swinging.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    have a read of this Anakee
    http://2livethedream.com/index.php/a...s/1737?lang=en
    im running them on my f 650 gs, and have about 9000k on them at the moment
    they feel as good as my street tyres when cornering once you get used to the lug gap, perfect for road works on your daily comute

Bike
    Big money wasters
    Anakee3s Na only got 24,000 out of the rear and 26,000 out of the front on the 1200GS ,at 20,000 they were a little flat on the rear, must of been the 2 up South Island trip.
    They also slipped once on a shinny bit that I missed in the wet.
    Any one know a better tyre for dual sports that are used 99 percent on the seal?
    Got a K60 scout on the old PD on the way back from South Island feels ok not as quite as the Anakees on the seal but a good gravel tyre and price was good .

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    . However, my route to Hamilton takes me over a windy gravel road as a 20 minute shortcut each way,
    Where's the shortcut?
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Thread Information