Thread: Northland Min Tour

Bike
    Fazer FZS1000 2004

Northland Min Tour

Hi All,

Newbie so hello from the UK. I'm out to NZ at the end of the year and have a very short 4 day hire from Auckland to go off and have some "me time" away from the family visiting duties

I've been extensively around the South Island on various motorcycling trips and cycled Auckland to Wellington, but never been north of Auckland.

Any suggested routes that could fill up my 4 days of fun?

Thanks in advance

Phil

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Paparoa to mangapai, dargaville north through the waipoua forest(stop to look at the big tree) then north to hokianga harbour. SH1 over the mangamuka ranges is a fantastic piece of road when it is in good nick and dry. Depending on your bike and inclinations, up the ninety mile beach from waipapakauri to te paki stream which you ride through then up to north cape. The old russell rd from russell to whakapara is a good ride too in either direction and it is worth doing whangarei heads just for the scenery. Mt tiger rd while you are in that area.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_jones View Post

Any suggested routes that could fill up my 4 days of fun?

Thanks in advance

Phil
    just plan it around a long weekend and you'll spend the four days trying to get out of the city limits..

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    just plan it around a long weekend and you'll spend the four days trying to get out of the city limits..
    Haha, sadly you are about right!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    Leave Auckland on Highway 16 to Wellsford, then up Highway 1 to Brynderwin where you turn left onto Highway 12. Turn right at Paparoa and take the diversion road back to Highway 1 at Oakleigh. Rurn left onto Highway 1 and continue north for a short distance, then turn left onto Otaika Valley Road and head for Maungatapere. Cross Highway 14 and take Mangakahia Road north to Opouteke Road which becomes Murray Road and then Tangowahine Valley Road. When you get back to Highway 14 turn right and go to Dargaville. 14 stops at Dargaville and becomes 12 again so head north through the Waipoua Forest (and yes, stop and look at the big tree!) before spending the night at Omapere.

Next day contine on Highway 12 for a few km, then left to Rawene and onto the vehicular ferry to Kohukohu. Then on to Kaitaia via Mangamuka and Highway 1 OR via the sealed back road through Broadwood and Herekino. Continue north from Kaitaia up Highway to Cape Reinga via the road or the beach. Having seen Cape Reinga head south and stop somewhere for the night in the Far North - Houhora/Pukenui.

Continue south on Highway 1, then left onto Highway 10. Call into my place for a coffee and then continue on 10 towards Kaeo. Just before Kaeo turn left and do the coastal road to Matauri Bay and then complete the loop to return to Highway 10. Continue south and turn left onto Highway 11. Find a nice place to stay in Paihia and do an afternoon trip through the Bay of Islands and the Hole in the Rock. Give the bike the afternoon off!

On your last morning go to Opua and catch the ferry towards Russell, turning right to take the Old Russell Road down the Coast eventually ending up back on Highway 1. Turn left onto Highway 1 and head south. If time permits turn left at Hikurangi and ride through Matapouri and Tutukaka to get to Whangarei. Back onto Highway 1 heading south. Turn left to go through Waipu and Mangawhai, Te Arai, Waiteitei and back onto Highway 1. Then join the crawl back to Auckland City from just south of Wellsford.
    Last edited by MarkW; 6th April 2016 at 13:11. Reason: typo's

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post

On your last morning go to Opua and catch the ferry towards Russell, turning right to take the Old Russell Road down the Coast eventually ending up back on Highway 1. Turn left onto Highway 1 and head south. If time permits turn left at Hikurangi and ride through Matapouri and Tutukaka to get to Whangarei. Back onto Highway 1 heading south. Turn left to go through Waipu and Mangawhai, Te Arai, Waiteitei and back onto Highway 1. Then join the crawl back to Auckland City from just south of Wellsford.
    Depending on when you do it, you can skip a lot of that final crawl and have a much better ride by taking the old free route south of Wellsford rather than the toll road.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    I think MarkW has pretty well nailed it for sealed road riding,except a little side trip to the visit the village of Russell would be nice.For one of the best beach rides ever,from Dargaville head to Bayleys Beach and the entrance to Ripiro Beach.A truly amazing 80K ride down the beach to Poutu lighthouse at the head of the Kaipara harbour,you need to pick your tide,about 2 hours each side of low.From Poutu you come back up the road to Dargaville,tiny bit of gravel then seal.Miles better than 90 mile beach (which isn't 90 miles) but by all means do both beaches.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I hope you like corners OP. MarkW has just killed the edges of your tires.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    if you're not scared of gravel puhoi and matakana valleys put out. also, obviously, there's shit loads of gravel up here. pouto point is long and tedious, but spectacular, as is the pointy bit at the top. there's some well signposted dunes west-a the road to reinga, can ride out to the beach. south along it, if you like.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Leave Auckland on Highway 16 to Wellsford, then up Highway 1 to Brynderwin where you turn left onto Highway 12. Turn right at Paparoa and take the diversion road back to Highway 1 at Oakleigh. Rurn left onto Highway 1 and continue north for a short distance, then turn left onto Otaika Valley Road and head for Maungatapere. Cross Highway 14 and take Mangakahia Road north to Opouteke Road which becomes Murray Road and then Tangowahine Valley Road. When you get back to Highway 14 turn right and go to Dargaville. 14 stops at Dargaville and becomes 12 again so head north through the Waipoua Forest (and yes, stop and look at the big tree!) before spending the night at Omapere.

Next day contine on Highway 12 for a few km, then left to Rawene and onto the vehicular ferry to Kohukohu. Then on to Kaitaia via Mangamuka and Highway 1 OR via the sealed back road through Broadwood and Herekino. Continue north from Kaitaia up Highway to Cape Reinga via the road or the beach. Having seen Cape Reinga head south and stop somewhere for the night in the Far North - Houhora/Pukenui.

Continue south on Highway 1, then left onto Highway 10. Call into my place for a coffee and then continue on 10 towards Kaeo. Just before Kaeo turn left and do the coastal road to Matauri Bay and then complete the loop to return to Highway 10. Continue south and turn left onto Highway 11. Find a nice place to stay in Paihia and do an afternoon trip through the Bay of Islands and the Hole in the Rock. Give the bike the afternoon off!

This....your trip is planned!

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    if you're not scared of gravel puhoi and matakana valleys put out. also, obviously, there's shit loads of gravel up here. pouto point is long and tedious, but spectacular, as is the pointy bit at the top. there's some well signposted dunes west-a the road to reinga, can ride out to the beach. south along it, if you like.
    Is the hill on Matakana Valley road meant to be sealed now? Last time I was through there (Auckland anniversary) they were doing work. In the week before they had been laying down lime.

If it wasn't for all the gravel it would have been a lovely ride

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    The roads used by the Whangarei rally, international status no less, are off the hook. Went through a few stages last year after Ken Block and co had scrubbed them clean. Outrageous fun.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post

If it wasn't for all the gravel it would have been a lovely ride
    fuken townie woofter.

(havent been through in a whiley. it wouldnt surprise me though. Aucklanders have ruined matakana, and you cant have damned dusty roads scratching up your "4wd" at all of 20km/h)

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    fuken townie woofter.

(havent been through in a whiley. it wouldnt surprise me though. Aucklanders have ruined matakana, and you cant have damned dusty roads scratching up your "4wd" at all of 20km/h)
    meh, it was more because I am still a bit of a nub and it was my first time on gravel.

Bike
    Fazer FZS1000 2004

Belated thank you

Thanks to all, sorry been AWOL and didn't get any notifications about the additional posts on my mini tour. I'll do the Marc suggestion and pop in for a coffee ;-)

Thread Information