Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gob-smacked at following too close

Bike
    2008 R6
    Well when it comes to motorways with 2 or more lanes going in the same direction, I find the gap is smaller on the "fast aka passing lane". The reason seems pretty obvious. Some folks don't understand lane discipline..... so others try to "push" them out of the way.... so they can simply get by. Sometimes it works, other times the slower drivers in the "passing lane" are either ignorant or don't care about sharing the road.

IMO - this leads to a very dangerous situation. You have a driver who is trying to pass, but can't.... which can lead to a lack of patience. Plus, you have a small gap.... often between various cars, all of whom are trying to pass the slower vehicle. You've all seen it in bigger cities. The slow car with no one in front and 15 cars behind.... going the same speed as the person next to them?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    Heres an idea

...MAYBE, if they stopped just "testing" people then HANDING OUT ANOTHER LICENSE!, maybe!, if we introduced a new system that actually TRAINED people to drive safely...........
    Hey Wheelie.

In the motorcycle world there are two licensing systems. The one you describe, and CBTA.

CBTA covers that sort of thing. It's just a pity it's not compulsory. I understand why though. There are places with no CBTA assessor, so the old system prevails.

Even in the Basic Handling Skills Test we train people to have good habits, not just pass a test.

How are you finding the Pegasus Roundabout Wheelie? You must have friends in high places to have your wishes come true like that.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Hey Rastus you summed it up perfectly for me: "It's primarily about awareness, visibility, conspicuity and control".

Those four words helped to illustrate why I like to have a decent gap between myself and the vehicle in front of me. For me it's about seeing what is happening up ahead. And hopefully, being seen by other drivers/riders, minimise if not eliminate those "Oh! Shit!" moments.

Unfortunately, leave a gap for your safety and you're bound to have some muppet hop into it or some bully tailgate you. I just ease off the accelerator and let the gap size increase and make the gap a bit bigger when tailgated.

Thanks for putting into words what I have been doing and not thinking about how I'd explain it other than to say: Means I have a bit more time to react if I need to. Also, that idea of where will you be in 10 to 15 seconds and what is happening up there?

Thanks for making me think about my driving/riding in a positive way.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    So after reading this thread and thinking of donuts I jumped in my car this morning and evening to and from work and I deliberately set the recommended travelling distances. I live about 12 kms out of Christchurch so enjoy a bit of open road at the start and finish of the round trip with a similar 12 km or so in built up zones (50k).

Outwards is the usual collection of impatient running late to work drivers - I was passed twice (I was on cruise control at 100) the second time dangerously - lucky for the last one there was a good gap for him to pull into. 4WD ....... nuff said, they drive like they are immune to injury.

In the CBD sub 50 - I was tooted at twice by following drivers annoyed at the 'gap' in front I presume as both were gesturing at me in a forward indicating manner with their hands. I politely waved back as I was adopting the Ratsus Buddha one with the world mantra.

The return trip was better as I was working late and missed the rush. I even got to pass someone. Which in itself was kind of interesting as I was using the approx 20 m gap, decided to pass (open road) and even in the XR6 precious seconds were gobbled up swallowing up the 20 m before passing.

I intend to adopt the same on the Ducati this weekend and see if it alters my normal riding style.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    You know me so well....sung to the accompaniment of a no 8 barrel organ...

Actually, living out to the far west and having to pass in the neighbourhood of 'puna coming amd going, I've seen someone on a BM leading a group of assorted bikes on what is either a donut run into town or some sort of real world training...
    i'm tempted to follow just to see what the leader would do....

less than five metres behind, so you can see EXACTLY what he's up to, one trusts.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    less than five metres behind, so you can see EXACTLY what he's up to, one trusts.
    Of course - I'm old and shortsighted...But i'll have the lights on too, just to present a challenge, you understand.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Felt the pain yesterday. But it gave me cause for yet further reflection. Moorhouse Ave is the fill-the-space-hot-spot of Christchurch. So many people dicing for a better position to suit their movements.

But it's still a good idea to leave a good gap, especially given the heightened risk. It smoothes the ride.

Leaving a good distance on a multi lane road is where folk fill the gap most. It's also the place for advanced awareness.

So what's the excuse for following too close on a single lane road?

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

So what's the excuse for following too close on a single lane road?
    Slip streamin?? (its a nascar thingy...so Im told)

Ya welcome!

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    Slip streamin?? (its a nascar thingy...so Im told)

Ya welcome!
    Harrumph

10 Guitars

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    If only cunts would keep left unless overtaking
    WTF, if im traveling at 85km/hr in the fast lane then i am doing my duty to society by slowing people down, we all know that speed kills.
    and it is my right to travel at 85km/hr in a 100km/hr zone if that is what i feel safe doing

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    and it is my right to travel at 85km/hr in a 100km/hr zone if that is what i feel safe doing
    Still means you're a cunt though
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    yeah but, yeah but, naaaaa fuck it. even down here where there is fuckall traffic we get assholes travelling 70 or 80km on the open road

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    orrrrrrr im a lesbian trapped in a mans body so i do find cunts rather useful

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Moorhouse Ave is a race track (drag strip?) has been as long as I can recall.

I believe the closeness one follows is subconsciously driven by the vehicle you drive. If you drive a large 4WD or twin cab truck you can follow really really close.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Moorhouse Ave is a (drag strip?) has been as long as I can recall.
    yeah but they not all trannies so i am told, and whats that got to do with following distances. ohh

Thread Information