Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gob-smacked at following too close

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    WTF, if im traveling at 85km/hr in the fast lane then i am doing my duty to society by slowing people down, we all know that speed kills.
    and it is my right to travel at 85km/hr in a 100km/hr zone if that is what i feel safe doing
    Funny. Here's my take on the speed limits in NZ.

You can go as fast as you want as long as you don't go faster than the number on the sign. Simple.

And you can go as slow as you want as long as you don't hold people up. Equally simple.

Donuts.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Funny. Here's my take on the speed limits in NZ.

You can go as fast as you want as long as you don't go faster than the number on the sign. Simple.

And you can go as slow as you want as long as you don't hold people up. Equally simple.

Donuts.
    like thats worked ever.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    yeah but they not all trannies so i am told, and whats that got to do with following distances. ohh
    That's Manchester Street for the trannies, underage pros and sloppy, barn door gals ........ shudder. Best avoided.

Hmm the Council has just dropped the speed limit in town to 30 .... I guess it gives the councilors more time to shop along Manchester Street.

Following distances? Probably a few rear enders on Manchester St.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I was on SH75 around midday'ish last Sunday and saw large amounts of riders in groups and most of them had big distance between them, the odd sprotty being a wank and smashing through a group of cruisers like he was MM...In 60 ks I saw a lot of good behaviour from bikes and cars...fucking amazing at that time of day on my driveway...

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    as long as you don't hold people up. Equally simple.Donuts.
    and herein lays the problem, have been stuck in traffic being held up for long distances when there has been ample opportunity for the slow vehicle to pull to the left and allow traffic to flow past, but then i have also been in traffic where the slow vehicle has pulled to the left and the shopping trolly immediately behind won't pass.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Moorhouse Ave is a race track (drag strip?) has been as long as I can recall.
    I stayed last night on the corner of Riccarton Road and Deans Ave. Could not believe the number of people coming off the roundabout at stupid speeds heading down to Moorhouse Ave. Saw some mean drifting and a few very dodgy overtakes.

Pre EQ I used to stay in Cathedral Square. Same same. Flat old Christchurch eh? It will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    That's Manchester Street for the trannies, underage pros and sloppy, barn door gals ........ shudder.
    Fuck. I was up for a rear end on Manchester Street last night but I thought they had all moved on?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I stayed last night on the corner of Riccarton Road and Deans Ave. Could not believe the number of people coming off the roundabout at stupid speeds heading down to Moorhouse Ave. Saw some mean drifting and a few very dodgy overtakes.

Pre EQ I used to stay in Cathedral Square. Same same. Flat old Christchurch eh? It will never change.

Fuck. I was up for a rear end on Manchester Street last night but I thought they had all moved on?
    Dude, just South of that roundabout theres a street called Brockworth Place. Pre EQ we used to sit there in a plain car, radaring the cars exiting the roundabout. The slow learners in the Boy Racer crowd used to floor it out of that roundabout. Anything up to 100, gained very quickly.

Happy hunting back then. I don't wear the blue suit any more, but I have fond memories of most of the little things we did over my time.

Bike
    A
    Interesting topic, but in reality those who choose to tailgate simply lack proper driver/rider training. Nothing to do with ethnic group or social standing, although anecdotal evidence suggests a pattern...

As for speed, within the law of the land of course, if I'm truckin along on 90 clicks and there's plenty of opportunity for anyone catching up to overtake...what's the problem? Seems the group of drivers capable of overtaking on a two lane road keeps shrinking though, so in order to stay safe I gotta pull over occasionally or prompt the lemming behind me there's now an opportunity to overtake...unless they're happy to sit 5 feet behind me for another few clicks...

Personally I'll admit to having belonged to the "must keep the gap shut" kind of tailgater support network, but age and exposure to training has mellowed me out. Much safer anyway. So when someone starts with the "gotta keep the gap shut or I'll go backwards" crap I just grin and think to myself they'll learn in due course.

Had a chat with a fellow trucker recently, he'd been involved in a handful of fender benders in recent times. Let him talk thru the incidents and he didn't like my summation when I suggested his own situational awareness could do with some improving......and doesn't that sound like how bikers talk too when apportioning blame for any incident they're involved in?

Anyway, not tailgating keeps me chilled out. And guess what? I arrive at my destination about the same time as the tailgating fraternity...

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Had a chat with a fellow trucker recently, he'd been involved in a handful of fender benders in recent times. Let him talk thru the incidents and he didn't like my summation when I suggested his own situational awareness could do with some improving......and doesn't that sound like how bikers talk too when apportioning blame for any incident they're involved in?

Anyway, not tailgating keeps me chilled out. And guess what? I arrive at my destination about the same time as the tailgating fraternity...
    happened to have upset a few people on this topic not to long ago, unfortunately it was a young guy died while overtaking a vehicle, as i understand the situation a woman (happened to be asian) driving along and a group of four bikes come up behind, she finds spot to pull left and allow bikes through, first two get through then she pulls out and clips back wheel of third bike.

now my comment was why was he passing so close that her just pulling out could clip his rear wheel. yes she shouldn't have pulled out before checking but had the rider been riding in a defensive manner i believe he would still be riding today.

but of course it is all the asian tourists who are causing all our accidents

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    The two second rule is a rare sight on most Hawkes Bay roads.A Panelbeater mate would stand outside his shop on wet raining days rubbing his hands together muttering under his breath"works picking up I see".....If you want to get tailgated or just plain pushed off the road on your bike chuck a L plate on and go for a cruise around Napier or Hastings sometime....Its like a Target to most drivers here.I know a couple of learner riders who simply took them off and found they got left alone a lot more.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    The two second rule is a rare sight on most Hawkes Bay roads.A Panelbeater mate would stand outside his shop on wet raining days rubbing his hands together muttering under his breath"works picking up I see".....If you want to get tailgated or just plain pushed off the road on your bike chuck a L plate on and go for a cruise around Napier or Hastings sometime....Its like a Target to most drivers here.I know a couple of learner riders who simply took them off and found they got left alone a lot more.
    There's a can of fish bait.

I've had just as many clients tell me they feel safer using the L plate as I've had telling me they feel safer without.

I suspect people who don't want to use them find reasons to support their position. It's human to do so.

Possibly people think it's naff using an L plate, so they suddenly start telling everyone it's safer not to use one, instead of just being honest and revealing they don't want to use one because it's embarrassing.

Or maybe it is safer without. But I doubt it. I'll pop one on my 1200RT and see if it's less safe. I really doubt that I'll notice a difference.

I don't get victimized on the road because I don't behave like a victim. Ditto for following too close. I just do it. Those thinking I'm sitting too far back need to suck it up. I keep the legal distance.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I keep the legal distance.
    yes. But if they legalised tailgaiting, would you?

Or do you do it because it's sensible?

Bike
    CB1300

I've had just as many clients tell me they feel safer using the L plate as I've had telling me they feel safer without.

I suspect people who don't want to use them find reasons to support their position. It's human to do so.

Possibly people think it's naff using an L plate, so they suddenly start telling everyone it's safer not to use one, instead of just being honest and revealing they don't want to use one because it's embarrassing.

Or maybe it is safer without. But I doubt it. I'll pop one on my 1200RT and see if it's less safe. I really doubt that I'll notice a difference.

I don't get victimized on the road because I don't behave like a victim. Ditto for following too close. I just do it. Those thinking I'm sitting too far back need to suck it up. I keep the legal distance.
    On the rt you probably get a bit of additional space from those who can't tell you from a part troll bike.

Try gn250. Riding add normally add you can manage.
    Try again pretending to be a noob.
    Chuck an L on and repeat.

I'd be keen to hear your results. Here are mine.

Did that on my wife's bike because I was curious about the claims of some newer riders.

With an L in auckland on a gn250: I got more patience when I made obvious mistakes but tailgated way more. More importantly people took bigger risks to get past, even where they where not being held up and were only going to hold me up once past.

Tried the same on the Hayabusa and the DR. Made no difference... except for a licence check at a gas station.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    2009 KTM990

Your last paragraph rings true Rastuscat.....Im on my L plate have been for years due to licence expiry right before the new L changes and being a born again.This plus a range of other riding exp like Trail mx farm onroad road racing sees me far from the wobbly slow fear stricken victim you sight above.This however is a good description of the people I see and know getting pushed around with the yellow card fitted cars and bikes....I ride with my L plate fitted and see people assume im going to be wobbly and slow thus try and bully past me most of the time.Usually at sets of lights and intersections.When I ride off assertively up to the posted speed ect ect most back off some don't!.
    Buying a highvis vest seemed to have more impact on drivers behavior around me.

Their a different breed of tintop operator in the Bay I tell yah and Im P endorsed drive cabs partime.Between that and riding I see some crazy shit for two such small towns with rush minute traffic.
    Bring your best gear and check your insurance if you pop over you may need it and message us up.I can show you some of our best hot spots.

Bike

Or not having it is not a safety thing at all and is just to avoid getting pulled up after 10pm/before whatever am

Thread Information