Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gob-smacked at following too close

Bike
    Mc17
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    On all the Ride Forever courses I deliver I roll out my tape measure and show people what the Road User Rule says about following distance.

After the gasps and sniggers have abated we generally agree that bugger all people, drivers or riders, leave the legally required following distance.

Just considering a cost-benefit analysis of following too close, I'm yet to see a benefit.

A decent following distance gives you more visibility, and makes you more visible. You regain control, and get time to deal with things that arise.

So why do the majority of us follow too close?
    Its better to lead during daylight and follow at night, following closely is alright as long as the vehicle in front of you doesn't slam on their brakes. Whatever you do don't take the bait and pass/overtake, might find your in wrong lane doing 170+km/h.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    What's wrong with that...?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

So why do the majority of us follow too close?
    Trying to keep
    In all seriousness, it is probably ignorance) the lack of knowing the unruly potential of that particular habit.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    What's wrong with that...?
    Nothing...

until something goes wrong - then it's someone else's fault.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mines-fastr View Post
    Its better to lead during daylight and follow at night,.
    nope, better to lead whether it is day or night, that way there is less chance of target fixation and you are not having to play catchup. some of the most memorable trips i have done were in the wee small hours of the morning.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

following distance habits

I remember my instructor telling me that drivers just get into the habit of following closer, because for as many years they've been driving that close behind other people they've never had an accident so they just don't perceive the risk anymore.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    IMO best is to follow at some distance behind so you can ride your own ride, and have reaction time up your sleeve.
    Or as with most, will pass slower traffic to gain my own space, here I will follow close pre- passing while checking ahead before crossing the centre line.
    Traffic sitting behind your arse is annoying especially when plenty of opportunities to pass you safely are there, i'll even pull over at times to allow a pass to give me my riding space back.
    Trucks often do this in courtesy,however they often pull into the gravel berm, spraying you with dust and gravel.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Thread Information