Thread: Help with Shoei Neotech

Bike
    R1200GSA

Help with Shoei Neotech

I picked up a SENA 10U for my wife's Neotech helmet online, it appears the NZ distributor doesn't bring them in. She found the jog dial of the SMH10 a bit hit and miss and liked the idea of the stealth fitting of the 10U.
    Problem.....the unit does not fit. The battery, antenna and microphone components are a "clip-over" type design. The idea is they slide over the EPS foam shell, however the unit seems to be made for a helmet with a thinner inner shell.
    Here are a few pictures to illustrate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1083.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	416.7 KB 
ID:	320949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1090.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	511.5 KB 
ID:	320950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1093.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	519.7 KB 
ID:	320951

I wondered if anyone with a Neotech would mind measuring the thickness of their inner shell at these points? I am wondering if there are variations in the internals of the model helmet. The helmet is an XS and I suspect relatively few of these sell so this helmet could be from old stock and there has been a modification to the design along the road somewhere which SENA used for their design.

Appreciate any assistance.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    A
    For pic 3 which shows the buttons, the EPS liner on my Neotec (XL) measures around 22-23 mm.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    For pic 3 which shows the buttons, the EPS liner on my Neotec (XL) measures around 22-23 mm.
    cheers for that.

On my wife's it measures 30mm, quite a difference. The microphone clip has an internal width of 19mm, I wonder if it would fit on yours.....
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    My Neotec is an "L" and the width at that point is 27mm.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    thank you. Interesting that there is such a variation.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    cheers for that.

On my wife's it measures 30mm, quite a difference. The microphone clip has an internal width of 19mm, I wonder if it would fit on yours.....
    I'm guessing it would require a MacGyver type of modification. Have you considered making an incision in the EPS to slide the mic clip in to?

My comms setup is SENA 20S, which was fiddly enough for my liking, even that required a small permanent modification...

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Fair suggestion and I would consider it if it were that simple. I would have to modify the shell for the battery pack and the antenna as well. If it were a "one size fits all" kind of deal then fair enough. However I have paid a premium for the promised advantage of an accessory built to fit the specific model of helmet in question. That being the case I am not inclined to start irreversibly modifying a $900 helmet because of a design or marketing flaw. I know it can work, the 10U I got for my GT-Air fits beautifully. Just looking for the same thing for the Neotech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    A
    Fair call and can understand your disappointment/frustration. It would seem Mr SENA didn't grasp that Mr Shoei makes varying shell sizes...

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Fair call and can understand your disappointment/frustration. It would seem Mr SENA didn't grasp that Mr Shoei makes varying shell sizes...
    that would be my take on it. The retailer are trying their best, they have contacted Shoei. SENA dont want to know, which is a tad worrying.

Bike
    Ducati Monster 821
    Hi, I realise this thread is quite old now but any update on the outcome?
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be quoted out of context, then used against you.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by bert_is_evil View Post
    Hi, I realise this thread is quite old now but any update on the outcome?
    actually yes. My wife has an XS Neotech. The "extra" bit is achieved by making the EPS thicker to fit in the same shell as the S and M helmets. So the "custom fit" 10U was never ever going to fit that size of the model.
    Sena now say the 10U will fit the Neotech EXCEPT the XS variety. Bottom line, the supplier took the unit back and refunded me, including shipping costs which was decent. They were unaware of the issue and were going to raise it with Sena. I think I was one of the earliest adopters of the 10U.
    The new Neotech II and its customised 10U may not have the same issue.

Since then we both moved to Cardo PackTalk Slim units. Not quite the custom fit of the 10U series from Sena but they will fit a whole raft of helmets (including the Neotech regardless of shell size), are very slimline, guaranteed waterproof, have MESH technology (SENA want you to buy another piece of gear for $279 to achieve that) and my personal favourite is always on voice control which actually works.
    When I looked at it the Sena 10U is much older technology repackaged in a different form factor and a premium price. Its definitely not bad kit, in fact its good stuff. That said I got a better spec for less money with Cardo so when it came time to replace it was a no brainer.

Thread Information