Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycletreads Tyre Guys are the best.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Smile Cycletreads Tyre Guys are the best.

4 weeks ago I took my bandit to them on a Saturday morning, with two very tired old Michelin PR2's that had done over 20,000K's still on the rims, very dodgy riding in the rain that morning, my mate who I had gone to see and go for a ride with took one look at em and said we're going to cycletreads. 3 hours later ( no ride, sorry Andy) I rolled out on two brand new Pirelli GT Angels.Yes I too have to wait in the service lane que, no worries it works the same for everyone..
    Thanks guys they work bloody well. Your Service was excellent and I've put a few K's on those tyres now and they work every bit as well as you said they would Mike.
    A week later I arranged for two nice new shoes for wifeys boulevard ( just the littley, M50).
    Once I got there on a cool Saturday morning, nice an early, first in line even, the bike went on a hoist and the rear went straight on.OK, where's the front?
    Oh no, not here, no major, current front is ok for now.
    Ride down into the rear concrete car park and do a lap or 2 to be sure everything is OK, just because Dave said I should. It is, I ride up the drive, toot and wave to the lads and go home.
    47 K's later, I stop literally meters from my place. The bike has just started to feel tight and is pulling up hard. I put the side stand ( they don't have a main one) down and got off, the rear hub was smoking! I kid you not it was very hot and had discoloured the centre of the rim. Smoke was brown and I'm sure if I'd attempted the last 30 or 40 meters to home I'd have had a brake fire.
    Well, I got out my trusty cell device and called the shop, guys there's something wrong with wifeys bike.
    Pauly immediately jumped in the van and inside 3/4's of an hour the bike was in the back of the van and back off to the shop.
    Exactly what went wrong is still not clear, I was standing beside the bike and talking with the guys as they changed the rear tyre, I saw nothing that alarmed me and I'm sure it was done properly, however the rear brake shoes had jammed on, probably the last time I used the brake, about 200 m's from home.
    I arranged with Pauly to service the bike while it was at the shop and to make sure the new front tyre was put on and I'd come get it on Thursday.
    I rang ahead on the Thursday, yep bikes all go, been serviced, brake shoes replaced (not particularly worn but showing their 20 thousand K's) tyre will be going on soon, should be on before you get here. I got a mate to drive me across the bridge on a Thursday afternoon at 5 pm, we got there in less than an hour, Heaven.
    the bike was serviced, I was charged an agreeable sum for that, the rear rim and tyre had parted company the wheel bearings were checked, the 1 week old, got quite hot tyre was checked over, the rim was sorted, the new brake shoes were installed.Everything was thoroughly looked at. The shop did not charge me for the brake shoes or the fitting of.
    I was happy.
    but that front tyre was still not on the bike, nor even in the shop!
    Naturally I asked why it wasn't already fitted to the bike.
    I was told that there simply wasn't one available, the guys had gone in two different directions after my phone call to check ahead earlier that day, looking for a front Metz 888, even to the supplier, no one had one.
    My story today is about the tremendous service my wife and I were accorded by the guys in the tyre bay and workshop.
    Naturally the front metz 888 tyre turned up the next day, last Friday. I got the wifes bike from her work and took it over, got there in 40 minutes on a Friday afternoon, Unheard of. Got the front tyre on AT LAST, paid for it and then hit the motorway heading for home, South, on a Friday arvo. Not one stop or hold up. Great ride considering it was on the southern motorway amongst a lot of traffic.
    In summary,the guys work long and hard, they dropped everything, came out picked up the bike.
    They took her rear end off and checked everything over, they deglazed the inner hub and scuffed up the new shoes, they asked Suzuki why this might have happened and were told it actually does happen from time to time and even Suzuki don't know exactly why.
    There was never a question as to what I might have done nor was I made to feel I might have.
    There was never a question about being asked to pay for the brake shoes, the time it took to check everything thoroughly and make good the hub, having the bike picked up on a busy Saturday from halfway across the city.
    I want you all to know that these men did their utmost for my wife and I and we will support them as much as we can.
    That's all, for a change and quite honestly,happily, no gripes.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    That's all, for a change and quite honestly,happily, no gripes.
    Good for you.
    We tend to be quick to complain about below par service but much less rapid to applaud an extra effort.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    Repsol CBR250RR Trackbike
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear!
    1990 CBR250RR - fully rebuilt and awesome!
    1999 CBR900RR - a work in progress...

Bike
    OK, so a week or two has passed and it appears that only two, maybe three, people on KB can read more than one sentence at a time!
    You guys suck!
    You want to know where to go, you come onto KB and ask where to go.
    You get a page long recommend and you, don't even bother to comment, good bad or indifferent it wouldn't matter, the point is, I'm not actually easily pleased, I don't usually recommend anyone without damn good cause and here I am pouring it out with big spoons and you lot can't be arsed to come have a read or even make or cast an opinion!
    Fuck you all! from now on I'll keep my well rounded arse, well grounded and won't tell a soul where I get good service from.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Had 376 views.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Had 376 views.
    I'm not feeling the love! Not that "I" want or need to.
    Nor is a shop that has not necessarily had a good rep for a while. I have no connection with it except that the guys who work there, work hard and deserve some recognition, are we all that bloody precious that we'll read a page long reccomend and say nothing.
    Go there for you tyres, if nothing else, talk to the guys, see how hard they work, understand that they look after you as best they can, then decide, is all I'm trying to get you lot to think about.
    Cheers Woody.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    I read your post a day or two after you posted. I didn't comment because I didn't see I had anything to add, you had said it all. It was obvious you were very pleased with the service and that is probably some of the best advertising they could have.

For what it's worth: I, too, have had very good service from Cycletreads as far as tyres are concerned.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    What Moi said.

If you want more responses on KB you need to complain about a bike shop. Something like 'fucking dick bike shop, I blew a piston due to running out of oil last week and fucking XXXX told me it will cost $heaps to repair my bike!!! WTF. I checked the bloody oil two years ago when they sold it to me and they said it was full synthetic - everybody knows this lasts ages.'

Or ask about those new fangled batteries .......

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    I'm not feeling the love! Not that "I" want or need to.
    Nor is a shop that has not necessarily had a good rep for a while. I have no connection with it except that the guys who work there, work hard and deserve some recognition, are we all that bloody precious that we'll read a page long reccomend and say nothing.
    Go there for you tyres, if nothing else, talk to the guys, see how hard they work, understand that they look after you as best they can, then decide, is all I'm trying to get you lot to think about.
    Cheers Woody.
    I am not that precious although my mother may think so.....

yep I read it and thought may give them a go, if they sell the tyres I decide on, when the budget is ready.

waiting to see what you think about the tyres you fitted when you rock up to SATNR after you have done more trips to Hamilton for lunch

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    I am not that precious although my mother may think so.....

yep I read it and thought may give them a go, if they sell the tyres I decide on, when the budget is ready.

waiting to see what you think about the tyres you fitted when you rock up to SATNR after you have done more trips to Hamilton for lunch
    LOL, good for you, been to hamilton, Whangarei, Rotorua and home again in last 2 weeks.
    The Pirelli GT Angels are bloody brilliant.
    Be seeing you on Thursday.

Bike
    TF125
    TL;DR.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    TL;DR.
    They took 3 hours to fit tyres to one bike, fitted a tyre to the rear of another and stuffed up the brakes, they couldnt get a front tyre for the same bike. But did in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    No it didn't, said bike may have been there for three hours... because you can't book in a tyre change/WOF... you turn up and wait your turn just like everyone else.

What it comes down to is that some people are just harder to please than others.
    Cycletreads will give you an estimated time of job completion, at that point you are perfectly within your rights to fuck off elsewhere if it does it suit.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO

Harder to please????

I had a not so good experience with them. Three booked visits to get a chain fitted,........ booked a week ahead but chain not in stock, nor the second booked appointment a week later, but it was in stock on the third time I booked in and arrived (a week later). Returned a week later to get the masterlink properly cold riveted remembering to put the o-ring on this time please. Four weeks to get a chain fitted correctly.

First fellow booked and supposedly ordered in the correct chain but was on leave when I turned up. Happens, but no chain ordered. An argumentative pompous parts guy on second visit. Third attempt the tech was pulled off the job to complete a job urgently they had overlooked for another pissed off customer while I waited, and the learner finished it off, hence two attempts at the masterlink. Price point for the chain (incl free fitting) can't be complained about, which makes me think therein lies the problem with the business model. I had decided I had started this with them so it was going to be completed to my satisfaction by them. I could have abandoned them after the first fail and buy myself a riveting tool but I am away from my own tools and work area in a boarding situation up here in AK working away from home.

That said, I will go back to Cycletreads Barrys Point for tyres when needed. I won't accept being talked into or out of my choice/brand based upon their agency/commission level. I want what I want, my bike, my choice. I was a customer right from the opening of the Barry's point original shop up the other end, until moving out of town years ago. Service back then was great as they were a hungry start up business. As a courier I could get in and out with two new hoops inside an hour.

Could I be described as hard to please??? You bet ya. And that is because having dealt with many many businesses, mechanics, parts guys, suppliers and various tech guys over the years what I have discovered is that the safety and condition of the bike is only ONE persons responsibility. MINE. I get to have the final say, and if I didn't do the work due to lack of time or specific tools, I will double check anyone's work no matter who or what their reputation/reviews.

But overall; despite an apology and rectification by the tech at the final visit, it was not a confidence inspiring experience. Ii didn't post any of this as there seemed to be enough bad press flying around at the time, no need for me to chime in, but since the OP was looking for responses I thought I would share.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    No it didn't, said bike may have been there for three hours... because you can't book in a tyre change/WOF... you turn up and wait your turn just like everyone else.

That's interesting Mark...... because I have to ride about 130 km for my tyre change with the Drury Performance Centre, I tell them the approximate time I'm arriving and I never have to wait more than 10 minutes for them to start the job and I'm on my way in under an hour. I've been going to them for several years and have deliberately built up a good working relationship with them.

Thread Information