Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scooter Survival

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    I remember someone saying to me scooters are wayyy safer because they are not fast like sports bikes (which obviously crashes all the time!), light and nimble to handle

Ideally yes but after having ridden a few mopeds, I'd rather ride my 190+ hp bike which has awesome brakes and sticky road/ sport tyres, also with ABS.
    yeah... but i gather your a azn...

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Its possibly safer for them to ride in the cycle lane because the 50cc ones barelyhavetheabilitytokeepupwiththetrafficflow
    When I owned one I bought an 80cc one as I felt it was safer tobeabletokeepupwiththetrafficflow.
    Rising inflections added to reflect ambiguity. You're welcome.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Update

Both my dudes turned up. Twins, as it happens. Great 4 hours out, I think they benefitted.

For the record, I get most of the things folk have said. The attraction of scooters is what defeats their users coming on courses. People get a scooter coz they are cheap, easy and convenient. Hardly a recipe for a safety mentality.

I am outside the standard user, I guess. I live in a flat town, and I have an Adly Silver Fox as a run around scooter. I love riding it. In terms of fun., it's great. When I ride it, I don't suit up like I do on the "real" bike, but I go with a No-Skin-Under-The-Chin policy.

Cheers for the thoughts, I like debate. And donuts. Still.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Great that your class were all there.

When you say "scooter" - do you mean moped as described in LA and LB or do you mean scooter as described as motorcycle in classes LC, LD and LE? [see here for details]?

Perhaps a rethink is required about the licence required to ride a moped. May be this might raise people's awareness of the skills required to ride any sort of PTW.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Scooters are viewed as innocuous. Cheap, and cheerful, and not much different to bicycle. The reality is a bit different.
    Agree %. i see way too many ladies cruising around on them with no protection gear other then the helmet. Indeed over the years I have helped pick up three riders and scooters when they all lost the front end braking on a white line and had no idea how they had ruined their expensive tights and heels.

Having said the above. Is there anything sexier on two wheels?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vespa.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	321184  

Bike
    Economico e allegro...

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    From my extensive anecdotal experience in the Dominion Rd bus lane (from about a third of the way down), dudes on scooters wear normal clothes and will pull every kind of dodgy manoeuvre they can so that they never have to stop - if they do have to stop they'll do the same just to get to the front of the queue, whether that queue consists of buses, motorcyclists, cyclists, or other scooters. The ladies at least might run to wearing a long sleeve jacket, and usually look like they at least think for a moment or two before pulling a dodgy manoeuvre.

In my awesome opinion, if either had to suit up and ride responsibly, they'd be catching the bus. Or you know, if it was raining.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    CB1300
    Its possibly safer for them to ride in the cycle lane because the 50cc ones barely have the ability to keep up with the traffic flow. When I owned one I bought an 80cc one as I felt it was safer to be able to keep up with the traffic flow.
    So you felt the pressure to keep up was so warranted as to buy another vehicle?

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Economico e allegro...

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    So you felt the pressure to keep up was so warranted as to buy another vehicle?

Bike
    Kawasaki
    This must be trolling. No one can be this stupid...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Non è economico e allegro, ma costoso e misterioso ...

Bike
    67 Vespa SS90

Not all scooters are built the same

Problem that I see is as long as there people buying cheap Chinese scooters from lawn mower stores and knowing dick about preflight checks i.e. Tired tyres and broken indicators you will never get people along to survival courses.

I have 8 Vespas and it gives me nightmares when you see some of these bikes and the kids riding them wearing skateboarding helmets.

So how do you get them along? Make it compulsory if you want to buy a scooter or a bike

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Its possibly safer for them to ride in the cycle lane because the 50cc ones barely have the ability to keep up with the traffic flow. When I owned one I bought an 80cc one as I felt it was safer to be able to keep up with the traffic flow.
    So you want scooters in the cycle lanes now. Retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So you want scooters in the cycle lanes now. Retard.
    Retarded perhaps, but they're in them already. As are some motorcycles.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information