Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scooter Survival

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    If you have to have a class 6 licence then it is a scooter. If you can ride it on a class 1 licence then it is a moped. That is based on NZTA's classification.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So you want scooters in the cycle lanes now. Retard.
    It is common practice in many European cities for mopeds to use cycle lanes, but not for scooters and bikes. It is interesting to see pedal cycles going faster than a moped...

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So you want scooters in the cycle lanes now. Retard.
    As they should be, but not for safety reasons, that would be retarded.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Y

Scooters innocuous? - as in 50cc mopeds or 250cc European style scooters - include the bigger engined Asian ones as well...

True being cheap and cheerful for the 50cc, however talk to someone who has had a serious off on a bicycle or seen the results of a serious off...

I don't understand what point you're trying to make, other than willfully misunderstanding what I said.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    The big challenge is in the licence system.

A spotty faced kid who has never driven a vehicle, ridden a motorcycle or moped, or even ridden a bicycle, can go into the AA and sit his Class 1 theory. If he passes, he can then go hop on a moped, and ride around in traffic.

Silly system, that.

When he/she is knocked off we all pay for the silly system that let it happen.

I understand the idea of allowing a car driver to ride a moped, but how about it being a full Class 1? At least then the rider has done some driving, and passed a driving test. It doesn't make you a great bike rider, but it's better than today's system.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Mopeds are slow. Very slow. No faster than a fit bastard hammering his pushbike. So the powers that be most likely presume if you can ride a pushbike you'll be fine on a moped.

I had a Puch moped when I was a teenager - fatted around helmet free until the lid laws came into play. I had hotted it up - home made expansion chamber - skimmed head, jetted carb. Bloody thing fair flew along on the boil - I was flying past cars doing 50 on the inside ..... I was young.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Non è economico e allegro, ma costoso e misterioso ...
    Vero. Tuttavia, se si ha curve o di pneumatici e si deve chiedere il prezzo non si può permettere.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Mopeds are slow. Very slow. No faster than a fit bastard hammering his pushbike. So the powers that be most likely presume if you can ride a pushbike you'll be fine on a moped.

I had a Puch moped when I was a teenager - fatted around helmet free until the lid laws came into play. I had hotted it up - home made expansion chamber - skimmed head, jetted carb. Bloody thing fair flew along on the boil - I was flying past cars doing 50 on the inside ..... I was young.
    Many kids these days have never ridden a bicycle as transport.

I can think of a few who have ridden lots of road and you would regard a proficient rider... bit their only experience with traffic is using a crossing.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

A spotty faced kid who has never driven a vehicle, ridden a motorcycle or moped, or even ridden a bicycle, can go into the AA and sit his Class 1 theory. If he passes, he can then go hop on a moped, and ride around in traffic.

Silly system, that.

I understand the idea of allowing a car driver to ride a moped, but how about it being a full Class 1? At least then the rider has done some driving, and passed a driving test. It doesn't make you a great bike rider, but it's better than today's system.

Yes.....would make perfect sense....

also maybe some school based traffic sense lessons.....?

especially now with battery assisted push bikes, petrol engines on pushbikes,

multi thousand $ pushies, $2 scooters, etc.etc

plenty of things on road going fast enough to do damage
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Silly system, that.
    -or-
    fuck cagers, and everyone without a 6 license has to sit their new "axulated" proficiency licensing tomorow, or have their cars crushed and be flogged with a hosepipe.

Step one: you ride a scooter for 6 months.
    Two: you go and pass a test, both of ability and knowledge.
    Three: you can now have a car for 6 months.
    In that six months you now have to find a horse, a forkhoist, a combine harvester, and a B train, and learn to use them.
    Four: you go and demonstrate your competency on the above. Pass= you're allowed on the road.
    fail= you get beaten with a hosepipe, have a penis tatooed on your forearm (more penises, the more you fail, this would identify bad drivers at a glance) and are back on a scooter for 6 months.

No age limits.

Also, it's all free, because thats in the interests of everyone.
    And the road police get shotguns. And theres no speed limit.
    And failing to keep left or give way is punishible by a month in "the hole" (we'll actually dig a hole, i dont just mean hamilton)
    and anyone involved in a crach has the hounds set on them, before and after medical treatment.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    In that six months you now have to find a horse, a forkhoist, a combine harvester, and a B train, and learn to use them.
    Pretty sure I don't want someone not competent to operate a pushbike or cross the road without lights to try and operate a b train with only 6 months moped time and and another 0-6 months time in a tin top, and I haven't seen a combine harvester on the road in NZ in my 30 + years of enjoying the view from the right wheel track.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down

Silly system, that.

It's only silly when you think about it. If a motorbike is shaped like a scooter it's easier and safer to ride. Let's look at the SR motard 125 scooter, see it looks like a scooter so it's safe and easy and fun http://www.euroscooter.co.nz/aprilia/SR-motard125.html

But what's this? a motorbike? the ETX 150 http://www.aprilia.net.nz/ETX150.html that's soooo freakin dangerous guys, you need to do a handling course and and and do lots of Competency based training if you're going to go on the road with that ya hooligan!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Pretty sure I don't want someone not competent to operate a pushbike or cross the road without lights to try and operate a b train with only 6 months moped time and and another 0-6 months time in a tin top, and I haven't seen a combine harvester on the road in NZ in my 30 + years of enjoying the view from the right wheel track.
    o ye of little faith.

If theyre shit at road, theyll probably die on a scooter, nullifying the requirement.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver Fox.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	779.1 KB 
ID:	321222

I have the most fun on the scooter.

Basically it teaches me great lessons in preserving momentum a.k.a. riding smoothly. If you lose momentum, it takes a while to get it back, so you learn to maintain lines that allow for preservation of momentum. It also teaches you not to brake too often, another waste of momentum. I now ride in a manner (have done for years) where I smoothe out the ride and just don't need to brake as much as I did as an impetuous youngster.

All that said, I own my lane, and I don't hold people up. It gets up to 50-mumble quite well.

Bring on the derision. I love my Adly Silver Fox.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver Fox.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	779.1 KB 
ID:	321222

I have the most fun on the scooter.

Basically it teaches me great lessons in preserving momentum a.k.a. riding smoothly. If you lose momentum, it takes a while to get it back,
    Easiest way to improve scooters acceleration?

Lose weight......

true.

Fwiw....i got taught how to drive/ride by an extremely uncompromising militairy instructor.....
    Do Not use your brakes......if you did you didn't plan/look ahead and got a terrible bollocking.
    still serves me well today
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Thread Information