Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Scooter Survival

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Attachment 321222

I have the most fun on the scooter.

Basically it teaches me great lessons in preserving momentum a.k.a. riding smoothly. If you lose momentum, it takes a while to get it back, so you learn to maintain lines that allow for preservation of momentum. It also teaches you not to brake too often, another waste of momentum. I now ride in a manner (have done for years) where I smoothe out the ride and just don't need to brake as much as I did as an impetuous youngster.

All that said, I own my lane, and I don't hold people up. It gets up to 50-mumble quite well.

Bring on the derision. I love my Adly Silver Fox.
    chuck some pit bike tyres on it and they are a shit load of fun off road as well, tho the plastic doesn't last long but that just reduces weight.
    they do not work well as submarines tho

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    I have a 1988 Vespa 50S and a Chihuahua ... but I do not let on to my biker mates about either of them.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    To be fair I sometimes worry about my manliness.

I have that scooter, and two Maltese.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbyhorse View Post
    I have a 1988 Vespa 50S and a Chihuahua ... but I do not let on to my biker mates about either of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    To be fair I sometimes worry about my manliness.

I have that scooter, and two Maltese.
    Greg didn't seem to mind...

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbyhorse View Post
    An you just know we will! Mercilessly. Nothing wrong with scooters that a bigger engine and wheels doesn't fix!
    A Chi wa wa, NoOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    I'll ride with you anywhere anytime me ol mate.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Nothing wrong with scooters that a bigger engine and wheels doesn't fix!...
    What's wrong with 10" wheels and 200cc of unbridled 2T power?

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    What's wrong with 10" wheels and 200cc of unbridled 2T power?
    Are you for reel?
    LOL, sorry mate , couldn't resist, I've ridden em and not fallen off and love riding them around Raro, so hardly a critic, really.
    Un Bridled, wots dat mean??? No bra?
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    ... Un Bridled, wots dat mean??? No bra?

I think not!

Bike
    '08 Wee
    I assume usual road worthy-ness tests apply to scooters? Plenty I see around here where you are lucky to see a mirror let alone two. And the riders certainly wouldn't be using them if they had em.

My wife did one of the Auckland Transport four hour courses a few years ago, I think they developed into the Scooter Survival things. Sounds like she got a bit out of it.

Bike
    My understanding is that a moped [has an engine cylinder capacity not exceeding 50ml and a maximum speed not exceeding 50km/h - NZTA website ] doesn't need a WoF.

However, a scooter [has an engine cylinder capacity exceeding 50ml, or has a maximum speed exceeding 50km/h - NZTA website] does need a WoF and you need a motorcycle licence to ride it.

I stand to be corrected...

Bike
    '08 Wee
    My understanding is that a moped [has an engine cylinder capacity not exceeding 50ml and a maximum speed not exceeding 50km/h - NZTA website ] doesn't need a WoF.

However, a scooter [has an engine cylinder capacity exceeding 50ml, or has a maximum speed exceeding 50km/h - NZTA website] does need a WoF and you need a motorcycle licence to ride it.

I stand to be corrected...
    Yeah, they don't need a WoF but pretty sure they can't be an un-safe shit heap and still be on the road. Or they can be, they just never get checked.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Yeah, they don't need a WoF but pretty sure they can't be an un-safe shit heap and still be on the road. Or they can be, they just never get checked.
    Have a look at this... the NZTA requirements for a moped...

Guess your second comment was answered by Rastuscat when he said many police don't know the ins-and-outs of the road regulations.

Number of years ago a moped rider was knocked off their moped by a vehicle turning right. The moped was in the bus lane on Dominion Rd in the morning and the vehicle did the usual vehicle thing - there's a gap, I can go - and hit the moped. At the time there was comment in the local media that both the driver and the moped rider were charged - the driver for failing to give way and the rider for riding in a lane they were not permitted to be in. Never did hear what happened to it all - as usual the media never follows up and finding out what does happen becomes almost impossible.

The bus lane allows for cycles and motorcycles: so, technically, a moped may not be allowed to use a bus lane. The other one that would be interesting to test would be if a Yamaha Tricity can use a bus lane - they are registered as a motorcar.

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Have a look at this... the NZTA requirements for a moped...

Guess your second comment was answered by Rastuscat when he said many police don't know the ins-and-outs of the road regulations.

Number of years ago a moped rider was knocked off their moped by a vehicle turning right. The moped was in the bus lane on Dominion Rd in the morning and the vehicle did the usual vehicle thing - there's a gap, I can go - and hit the moped. At the time there was comment in the local media that both the driver and the moped rider were charged - the driver for failing to give way and the rider for riding in a lane they were not permitted to be in. Never did hear what happened to it all - as usual the media never follows up and finding out what does happen becomes almost impossible.

The bus lane allows for cycles and motorcycles: so, technically, a moped may not be allowed to use a bus lane. The other one that would be interesting to test would be if a Yamaha Tricity can use a bus lane - they are registered as a motorcar.
    Thanks for the link, surprised to mirrors are only a requirement if it was manufactured on or after 1 Jan 2000.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Just to clarify.

A moped isn't required to have a WoF, but it must be up to WoF standard. In the same way that a bike with a current WoF can still get ticketed for not being up to WoF standard if it's not.

Have a look at this if you are looking for sleep.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/veh...hicle-classes/

Bike
    2003 suzuki gsxr1000
    scooters rule in suburbia,you can treat the streets as your own personal racetrack.such fun....being not taken seriously means fewer tickets and the chance of a trophy ride far more achieveable

Thread Information