Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Scooter Survival

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    A reasonable number of scooterists are people who require independent transport, and an easy way to get this is to pass a car learners theory test, buy the cheapest scooter you can find and away you go.

The fact that there is no requirement to demonstrate any motorcycling ability, there is no WOF requirement for scooters, and there is a general perception that it's ok to ride a scooter in a cycle lane is just scary.

The fact that it's born from necessity or convenience is the reason why there is no will to seek improvement.
    dont agree as many of us probably bought our first bike cos they were cheaper than a car

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    dont agree as many of us probably bought our first bike cos they were cheaper than a car
    Which century was that?

The buy in to a bike is expensive for what you get, maintenance is expensive, fuel consumption is excessive for the most part given engine capacity and the weight it's moving around, tyres are horrendously expensive, and the ongoing costs of replacing gear are nuts too.

If a first time buyer buys an $8k bike, it's actually a $9.5k bike by the time they've bought some decent riding gear and some minimal luggage. They've probably already been through a bunch of courses to get their license, and then there's the expensive insurance and rego. $9.5k gets you a bloody good car these days that costs a quarter of a bike in rego and insurance.

You can buy a scooter for the same amount of money as it costs to kit up and spend two years killing it. Without basic training or anything other than a helmet, blouse, very short skirt and some pantyhose in an attractive shade. Apparently.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You're colourblind Jim and I think you'd suit more of a burnt orange to browny red in pantyhose.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Come on guys, we all know why scooter riders don't do these courses, it's because they don't give a f***. They see scooters as a cheap way to get around - THAT'S IT.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    You can buy a scooter for the same amount of money as it costs to kit up and spend two years killing it. Without basic training or anything other than a helmet, blouse, very short skirt and some pantyhose in an attractive shade. Apparently.
    Yes. You only have to travel to central akl and watch the scooter brigade go past. They look fantastic. But do they realise the damage to their pretty powdered noses and legs/hands if someone makes a mistake

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1978 Puch Maxi Sport Mk II

Blah Don't dis the scooter riders!

I was riding behind one in town a while back. There was a light drizzle and the roads were a bit wet. The guy on the scooter was nesting a small cooler and grocery bag between his legs on the floorboard. Followed him for a block or two and noticed that he preferred to ride on the oil lane. Remember thinking he'll soon become a statistic. As we came up to a red light, bam, he washed out his front end and slammed to the ground, unstrapped helmet flying off and groceries being sprawled all over the road. I rode on when light turned green just shakin' my head.

That being said, I have a pal that rides well on his big 650 suzuki scooter, but still can't understand why he doesn't get a 'real' bike?

Bike
    CB1300
    You have so little compassion for your fellow man as to not stop and help when he has fallen yet you look down on him?

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnet View Post
    I was riding behind one in town a while back. There was a light drizzle and the roads were a bit wet. The guy on the scooter was nesting a small cooler and grocery bag between his legs on the floorboard. Followed him for a block or two and noticed that he preferred to ride on the oil lane. Remember thinking he'll soon become a statistic. As we came up to a red light, bam, he washed out his front end and slammed to the ground, unstrapped helmet flying off and groceries being sprawled all over the road. I rode on when light turned green just shakin' my head.

That being said, I have a pal that rides well on his big 650 suzuki scooter, but still can't understand why he doesn't get a 'real' bike?
    You sound like a real fuckin wanker.....

karma is a bitch......
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnet View Post

auu. Wot a dikk, au.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Running an Urban Commuter course in Dunedin today.

Three people enrolled, two have cancelled.

Guy 3 has lucked out. $20 for 4 hours of one-on-one instruction.

He's on a Ninja, looking forward to it.

Transiting back home later today. Looking forward to that too.

Thread Information