Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tie downs?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Sorry to hear that Paul - I've been using the Aerofasts for years and they've been great. Only issue might be that they can take a few minutes to work out if you're new to them - had to help a couple of mates with theirs on the last ferry crossing.

Recently used mine to lift the Ducati motor, worked a treat.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Hmm - this looks promising... Anyone used these?

http://www.macsequipment.co.nz/shop/...1.83M+6Ft.html
    Don't. Like most web ratchet tie downs the latch jams sooner or later, leaving you with tight tie downs and a knife...

Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Weird one Paul. I've been using Aerofast tie downs for the last 20 plus years and never had a single failure. On the back of utes, in the rain etc etc...best tie downs avail. All the boys here are the same too.
    I've killed a few, but I was abusing them. I gave my last pair away a couple of years ago and ended up buying some of these:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    $20 torpedo7 ones are great.... abused mine, no problems still... and only $20! fark linked the wrong ones-- here- - https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/...e-downs-2-pack
    Which work bloody well. Except they don't pack down very well if you're hauling them all over the south island.

Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Akzualy......bit of decent rope and a wee google on some basic knots will see you right....

cheap, doesn't take up a lot of space,

and very multi functional......
    Which is all I used for fucking years (before cam-locks were invented), long spliced onto a stainless hook one end with one loose one. Although I do approve of the karabiners on the new stuff...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    My favourites were the early Aerofast that had the red soft webbing. The later ones are too hard in the webbing and much harder to pull to the correct tightness and have the steel ends and not the earlier aluminium ones that stayed much straighter on the webbing. That's my only bitch and I have had none fail like you have had in over 35 years.

My one regret is I bought a trailer a few years ago that I didn't realise was too sharp in its galv panel ends and on one trip some of my beautiful old Aerofasts ended up sliced through the webbing where they went across the side panels. Luckily not enough to lose a bike overboard at the time but enough to ruin the tiedowns .
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    I catch the ferry (on average) once a year or so and always one of the damn tie downs has died (spring pops out the side and cam flops open)... They are always cleaned and dried and hung up carefully but they average about 1 trip. Its always 1 of a pair go tits up - admittedly - never while locked on.
    Fuck you're hard on gear

I've got some a decade or so old and still work mint

Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    I use non bike specific ratchet ones, don't trust those cam lock things.
    I got a few of those as well and they work good, haven't ever had a cam lock let go but I always tie the strap ends under the lock so they can't come loose anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Likewise..I've got usable tiedowns older than some who post on here. FWIW I think Aerofast is still Dale Wylie.
    The racer?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Likewise..I've got usable tiedowns older than some who post on here. FWIW I think Aerofast is still Dale Wylie.
    was gunna mention those old ones, Dale made. I found them great thru the seventies.Still prefer them now. (Those ratchet things shit me !)
    Dusty of LEDA fame,(and Pete Stark) had a go at them for a while in the same style, but lost interest for some reason.Probably too busy with the leathers around then?

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    suzuki
    Weird one Paul. I've been using Aerofast tie downs for the last 20 plus years and never had a single failure. On the back of utes, in the rain etc etc...best tie downs avail. All the boys here are the same too.
    probably gone offshore for their suppliers and quality plummeted. Superior springs in taita who used to sponsor the plastic fantastic also made clips for electricla cables, they changed and made them so thin they would rip apart, i took the time to go and see then=m and tell them i'd measured their old aluminium compared with new was 40% down, they said they didn't make them anymnore, the company who they made them for sacked them and even wanted their old unused boxes, they refused. the new supplier still called them superior but were offshore so the feedback would never have got back, the only way they'd find out was the lack of sales which would've taken time, meanwhile another product gone offshore.....

Bike
    A
    As much as I like cam tie downs and such, in reality a length of 1/4 inch utility rope, bowline at the hook end with a basic trucker knot will do the trick every time.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    As much as I like cam tie downs and such, in reality a length of 1/4 inch utility rope, bowline at the hook end with a basic trucker knot will do the trick every time.
    yip, but tying down a bike with suspension and trying to tie knots is not as straight forward as pulling on a tie down, as is undoing same....

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    yip, but tying down a bike with suspension and trying to tie knots is not as straight forward as pulling on a tie down, as is undoing same....
    indeed,hook em up pulled just taut enough so they are even and just starting to compress the suspension,then another couple of goes for luck will never move,if its really rough i do one on the back as well,in gear.I have had the same red aerofasts for years,but the steel hooked hard webbing type

Bike
    A
    Trucker knot is all we used to lash down live ammo when I was a Boy Scout.. Bike suspension is no sweat. But yeah, cam or ratchet tie downs are good for those who struggle with knots haha

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    was gunna mention those old ones, Dale made. I found them great thru the seventies.Still prefer them now. (Those ratchet things shit me !)
    Dusty of LEDA fame,(and Pete Stark) had a go at them for a while in the same style, but lost interest for some reason.Probably too busy with the leathers around then?
    A quick google suggests Dale is still Aerofast. I'd heard he bought back in somewhere around the late 90's. Probably outsourced now though...

From observation there is a difference in quality between stock from the bulk stores - Bunnings, Mitre 10, and ones ordered from source.
    A racer customer has several sets with his name on - won as a prize - and they're at least as good as the old originals. Probably dearer though...

Don't talk to me about rope...when i started I had the use of the spare mainsheet from the family sailing dinghy. Try tying a Manx onto an old standard 6 X 4 trailer with one piece of rope around 45 feet long....

Bike
    Various things
    probably gone offshore for their suppliers and quality plummeted. Superior springs in taita who used to sponsor the plastic fantastic also made clips for electricla cables, they changed and made them so thin they would rip apart, i took the time to go and see then=m and tell them i'd measured their old aluminium compared with new was 40% down, they said they didn't make them anymnore, the company who they made them for sacked them and even wanted their old unused boxes, they refused. the new supplier still called them superior but were offshore so the feedback would never have got back, the only way they'd find out was the lack of sales which would've taken time, meanwhile another product gone offshore.....
    Yep. It's why I don't buy Icebreaker any more. Greedy cunt that Jeremy Moon. Fuck him.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    your doing it wrong

Bike
    Street Triple R
    that is my experience also. All hail the king of tiedowns AEROFAST
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    What I'm talking about is the one on the left in this photo is the old one and so much better to use due to its cam block and the webbing type. Sure the later one on the right added the extra loop to allow you to wrap it around handle bars or whatever, but the webbing was so much stiffer and the cam block is too wide and too coarse in its action to make pulling tight as easy as the old one. Usual problem of progress going backwards.

My old ones date back to around 1980 and are still my preference though neither have failed for me except where my trailer was the problem slicing the webbing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160506_195606.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	779.0 KB 
ID:	321348
    Cheers

Merv

Thread Information