Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tie downs?

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Retraining - the original training was obviously faulty...
    I have only ever used cheapies. I haven't towed many bikes but I have used them a lot for towing other things.

I have only ever broken cams or ratchets when I thought it was tight enough but went a little tighter to satisfy someone else.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    uhhhhh. paracord, nigga.
    I got lots of paracord (a few hundred feet) but it isn't the best stuff to use - try 3/4" mule tape! Gotta be safer with 2,500lbs breaking strain than with 550lbs.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+tape&_sacat=0
    Basically it is polyester webbing 3/4 inches wide with 2,500 pound breaking strain, easily up to the job of tying down a bike.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I got lots of paracord (a few hundred feet) but it isn't the best stuff to use - try 3/4" mule tape! Gotta be safer with 2,500lbs breaking strain than with 550lbs.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+tape&_sacat=0
    Basically it is polyester webbing 3/4 inches wide with 2,500 pound breaking strain, easily up to the job of tying down a bike.
    a) not the 3mm shit. More like 5-9mm single line.
    Paracord was probably a poor choice of phrasing.

B) tying down and pulleying, you can end up with 4+ lengths, 4*550=...

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    a) not the 3mm shit. More like 5-9mm single line.
    Paracord was probably a poor choice of phrasing.

B) tying down and pulleying, you can end up with 4+ lengths, 4*550=...
    Yeah, but I have this 250' length of 3/4" mule tape here - I could just use that.
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    i have an old set of blue camlock tie downs that are over 30yr old (don't think they are aerofast tho) but they still work, then i have another two sets of blue aerofast ones bout twelve yr old, and also have a more modern set of areofast ones with the karabiner, never had any problem with any.
    have used ropes from time to time as well.

it all works

Bike
    2004 SV650S
    Excuse the Spam, I work for Bridon Cookes, we sell quality Motorcycle tie downs for $30.00 a pair. PM me if you want some more info
    102° Rx = + /_\

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Yeah, but I have this 250' length of 3/4" mule tape here - I could just use that.
    So, I'll be heading down to the South Island in a few weeks, got 3 weeks off work soon and going to spend 2 weeks riding in SI with the Magpie Madness rally one weekend and the Burt Monroe on the following weekend.

Last time I took the bike on a ferry I used some straps I got from Repco (2 x Camlock, 2 x Ratchet in a set, I think I ended up using the ratchet ones).
    This time I'm thinking that it would save space to forget the camlock or ratchet hardware and just take some lengths of my mule tape (aka bull line) since it is only 3/4" polyester strapping which is pretty light despite having a 2,500 lbs breaking strain.

I'm thinking about this idea:
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    As much as I like cam tie downs and such, in reality a length of 1/4 inch utility rope, bowline at the hook end with a basic trucker knot will do the trick every time.
    I'm thinking of Pretty much doing it exactly that way - cut the desired lengths (and burn ends to stop fraying) and setup a bowline at one end, on the ferry use bowline to put the mule tape through anchor point on boat, run the other end up and around suitable point on the bike and then use a trucker's hitch. Or bowline bike end, down and around the anchor point on the boat and then trucker's hitch - either way should work fine.

It seems to me that doing it this way means no hardware to fail and less crap to carry riding around the SI for 2 weeks.
    I should probably practise my knot tying before the trip so I know I can quickly and easily get the bike strapped down.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    my little pony
    Markh if you travel back Tues nite or wed morning sailings after the burt that is peak time for bikes returning to the wellywood. In the past the ferry dudes have run out two lines of chain in open deck area to accommodate bikes. Everytime someone hitches on to the chains they tighten and slacken appropriately, and you may have to reapply ties several times till everyone is settled.

Bike
    KTM
    One thing to consider with carrying a set of tie-downs around with you on a longer trip is they can be used for more than the ferry...

Strop up your hard/soft case after a tumble

ratchet your bike out of a ditch (or stop it sliding further)

if you get a flat or some shit you can tiedown to the first trailer / ute that goes past rather than having another thing to try and organize.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    One thing to consider with carrying a set of tie-downs around with you on a longer trip is they can be used for more than the ferry...
    I was considering this idea:
    Use my straps to hold a bag to the back seat.
    Get on to the ferry and remove the bag.
    Use the straps to hold the bike down.
    Take bag with me for the duration of the ferry ride.
    Return to the bike and undo the straps holding it down.
    Use those straps to hold the bag on the back seat.
    Ride off the ferry.

Whether I do this or not, it is still not a bad idea and could be done on a future trip if I have less room.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Thread Information