Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

2017 KTM Super Duke GT

The new KTM looks to be a fun bike.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...gt-first-ride/
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    For me if I were going the KTM way and looking to pay the $30k asking price for the 1290R I'd probably plump the extra couple of grand for the 1290GT as it looks like there's not a lot lost in translation between the two by way of riding thrills but easily more than a couple of grands worth of added value in spec which would make it possibly a better road bike with a broader General capability

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Take a mint bike - add more crap to it. Meh.

I'm not sure what it is trying to be now. If you told me it was their new adventure bike I'd say finally a good looking one. But if it is a touring bike it's like taking a bikini model and covering her in a fur coat.

Still - they will no doubt sell heaps so good on them. I admire the way KTM is fighting through the global recession (is it over yet?) and not hiding back like some other makers.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    Love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't into the 1290r wide ratio gearbox with a 1st gear to low to use and seemed to labour in 5th and 6th at road legal speeds. Wonder if it has the same gearbox. Surely if its touring option bike it would have usable 5th and 6th gears.
    I wonder if the shop sent me out on rain limp mode because it didn't seem to make a lot of hp either.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Wasn't into the 1290r wide ratio gearbox with a 1st gear to low to use and seemed to labour in 5th and 6th at road legal speeds. Wonder if it has the same gearbox. Surely if its touring option bike it would have usable 5th and 6th gears.
    I wonder if the shop sent me out on rain limp mode because it didn't seem to make a lot of hp either.
    Have been seeing a few failures on them on the forums. One GT with a broken lug off the frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Euro V-twins ...... geared to cruise at 180 .........

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Euro V-twins ...... geared to cruise at 180 .........
    That's nice but it left me thinking it had a 3 speed gearbox 2nd/3rd/4th.
    My euro line4 will do 100 in 6th but struggles in town unless in 2nd lol.
    It just seemed like the gearbox is set to give a max speed rather than usable bike. Problem being gearing it down wouldn't help much as it had wide ratio gearbox with a very low 1st gear.
    It could be they sent me out in rain mode which would have been silly as I bought a different bike due to lack excitement in the test ride.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Take a mint bike - add more crap to it. Meh.
    Yeah, pretty much that.

Don't like screens, don't need extra gas, the ergo's I have are perfect, dito suspension. The luggage is about the only thing I'd like among the additions, and that costs extra anyway. Which is maybe understandable for a naked, for a tourier it's a fucking insult.

I rarely mess with the modes I've got let alone add extra adjustable farkles. Maybe with electric suspension I would, dunno, not going to pay the extra to find out. Especially when you apparently can't test ride one.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    That's nice but it left me thinking it had a 3 speed gearbox 2nd/3rd/4th.
    My euro line4 will do 100 in 6th but struggles in town unless in 2nd lol.
    It just seemed like the gearbox is set to give a max speed rather than usable bike. Problem being gearing it down wouldn't help much as it had wide ratio gearbox with a very low 1st gear.
    It could be they sent me out in rain mode which would have been silly as I bought a different bike due to lack excitement in the test ride.
    Maybe so, it's supposedly got the best roll-on 3rd gear time Bike has ever tested. I don't have any problems with 100k in 6th either.

Come take mine for a wee blat up the road.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Maybe so, it's supposedly got the best roll-on 3rd gear time Bike has ever tested. I don't have any problems with 100k in 6th either.

Come take mine for a wee blat up the road.
    I just got out of buy a new bike every year mode its likely best I don't ride more bikes lol.
    The one I rode didn't even like 5th let alone 6th at 100. They must have sent me out in limp. I think it had a needs service warning on screen also wonder if that does anything(was 14months ago and my memory could be incorrect). Would a tank of 91 give it issues lower in the revs perhaps? Didn't even look like wanting to lift the front either which I expected to happen with throttle on in 2nd.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    I just got out of buy a new bike every year mode its likely best I don't ride more bikes lol.
    The one I rode didn't even like 5th let alone 6th at 100. They must have sent me out in limp. I think it had a needs service warning on screen also wonder if that does anything(was 14months ago and my memory could be incorrect). Would a tank of 91 give it issues lower in the revs perhaps? Didn't even look like wanting to lift the front either which I expected to happen with throttle on in 2nd.
    Sounds dodgy for sure, even in rain mode I wouldn't usually bother kicking mine down to 4th to pass a truck at open road speeds, that level of torque is the main reason I've got one. In either road or sports mode they should lift the front at anything over 5k in 5th. Not very much, 'cause computer says NO! but you get the idea.

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Still running mine in but definitely no shortage of hp, yes 6th gear only comes into play north of 140 but hey it's there right... 1st is slightly high for town but I'm happy with it and it's so light handling nipping to the shops is all good.
    the larger tank is great as fuel stops piss me off and I don't feel the weight of it at all. Spent the first day riding in the rain with no wet weathers and the screen and wide tank meant I only got wet arm pits and shins, everything else was toasty and dry, pretty good I think considering I'm somewhere around 6.4.
    Alright it's not the lairy fucking monster some might want but it's so easy to ride and I can do 300ks on a tank in the back roads and get off feeling fresh....even with a fucked back.
    The seat is a bit on the hard side, ass bone is happy for a refuel after 3hrs but I ride in jeans so leathers would ease this maybe..could have a softer seat though.
    Yes bloody expensive and I thought long and hard but don't regret it, as for paying for the panniers, nothing is free only hidden, the other side of the coin would be that at least you get the option not to have them.....if that even matters when you wax 30k
    From a very average middle aged rider coming from a list of sports over 20+ years I'd say it's a VERY sporty tourer and I'm well happy with the package so far.....

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by v twin View Post
    and I can do 300ks on a tank
    That'll get better as km's rise. I''ve managed 359km from the SDR's 19ltr tank and not often I don't make 300km between fills.

Glad your enjoying your GT.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Thread Information