Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What I see as a motorcyclist eight years on - A tribute to Kiwi Biker

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    If the chances of being hit do not increase with the number of kms travelled why then does insurance on commercial vehicles cost more than private? Maybe insurance companies are just fuckin thick to think that way too sport.
    Lemme get this straight. You ride in the knowledge that you are definitely going to be crashed into at some point?

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. Luckily what you think you know is in fact wrong. But what sort of dumb fuck would get on a bike, pretty much completely vulnerable, and go out knowing they would be hit?

I've done a lot of cool shit where I knew I MIGHT get hurt, but hoped for the best. I've never done something cool knowing for a fact I was gonna get fucked up. That would be bordering on suicidal tendencies.

You should seek help.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    If the chances of being hit do not increase with the number of kms travelled why then does insurance on commercial vehicles cost more than private? Maybe insurance companies are just fuckin thick to think that way too sport.
    Google it. Start with public liability.

Any hoo. This time on the road equals death or makes you a better rider before death thing. I'm not convinced.

The majority of road users spend a lot of time traveling and a lot of them are crap drivers / riders. They are not interested in becoming safer or better. And they always have an excuse for being crap. A life time of excuses.

The OP posted about his learning curve and that's exactly what riding a bike should be, an endless, fun, learning curve.

I used to ride 30-40'000 miles a year in all conditions. The only vehicles I contacted were my fault, I was looking at titties or maybe peachy buttocks. And the only thing that got killed was the odd bit of plastic on the bike. I was a knob head, hoon then, too. It's only in my dotage that I realised how much more can be learned.

So yeah, na. Walking out the front door is a lottery. I will continue to do my best at making my own luck.

Nice to see this cuddly thread getting a sprinkling of KB's special spice mix, I must say.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Support Listening to you argue is embarrassing

Right, the more you're on the road, the more you're encounter other vehicles or road hazards, so yes, all else being equal your chance of having an accident increases.

BUTT!

Your experience increases the more you're on the road as well, you get better at spotting bad drivers and identifying hazards, so yes, experience reduces your chances of having an accident.

So don't ride like an idiot and pay attention to your surroundings. Ride safe.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post

So don't ride like an idiot and pay attention to your surroundings. Ride safe.
    Yeah and na. It was always the surroundings that were my undoing.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    It is more a certainty the more you ride though you fucken idiot yourself.

Well you do have a point there.

Statistically yes, the more you ride, the greater your chances of being involved in an accident become.

Of course statically, I am also an alcoholic, a victim or bullying and family abuse, morbidly obese, homo sexual, fag smoking, tax evading cager........

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Guys, guys, for God's sake stop encouraging the stupid bitch!
    Is there anyone out there who hasn't read what she says and thinks OMG where did this come from?
    Most of the motorcycle Police I know enjoy their job immensely and they even ride motorcycles when they are not at work.
    Drew, I'm certain she really believes it's going to happen to her again, hell why wouldn't it, already been taken out by three dogs, in the same manner each time, icy roads oh and going too fast into a downhill corner, and those are just the ones I can remember.
    I'd be absolutely over the moon for her if she'd just go and get some lessons from real instructors who would tell her to get off a motorcycle right fucking now, you are a danger to yourself and every other motorist out there!
    BUTT, hay what would I know!
    anyhow guys, please, stop feeding the troll.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Mine
    What you think is in conflict with what a cop told me last year that most police today consider it too dangerous to become bike cops?
    Then they're better off without the modern bunch of pansies that let fear rule their lives.

Maybe you just got lucky.
    No luck involved. I just kept my mind open and found the balance between over-cautious fear mongering and recklessness.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    My thinking is that while the chance of us having an accident through our own fault diminishes the more we ride, having an accident due to someone elses fault increases.
    You're thinking far too mathematically. Yes, if you ride with your eyes and ears closed then your chances of being taken out do increase the more you ride. BUT, one of the skills that any normal rider will pick up by riding more is how to look after oneself. This includes how to deal with other people's fuckups.

The other poster did give me the impression it was all about kms travelled with their post rather than as you say road and weather variation.
    The more you ride, the greater variety of road and weather conditions you'll encounter. This is basic common sense. Something you seem to be lacking.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    This time on the road equals death or makes you a better rider before death thing. I'm not convinced.

The majority of road users spend a lot of time traveling and a lot of them are crap drivers / riders. They are not interested in becoming safer or better.
    The last bit is of course the caveat. Perhaps I should've said "the more you ride with all sences on and wanting to learn, the better you'll get".

Bike
    Its a Boat
    100% of all posters are 100% correct up until the moment the click submit reply, then that percentage free falls dramatically in most cases.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    The last bit is of course the caveat. Perhaps I should've said "the more you ride with all sences on and wanting to learn, the better you'll get".
    LOL, I appreciate that, we are posting in an enlightened and forward thinking environment.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information