Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got a mc17 Hurricane & need more HP

Bike
    mc17

Just got a mc17 Hurricane & need more HP

Hi, my Honda cbr250r is quite a solid bike I seem to think its better than the newer cbr250rr mc22? Any info about these or other 4 cylinder bikes of the same era? Appreciate your input in advance cheers

Bike
    mc17

Just gotta mc17 hurricane need more HP ...

Hi, my Honda cbr250r is a solid bike which I seem to think is the best(fastest) bike of its time? Anyone know how to get extra HP out of it?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    These guys are probably the go-to source:

http://cbr250.com/forums/forum.php

How old is the bike, and what's the service history?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    If you need more horsepower (which is doubtful) get a bigger bike. Mucking about with an old bike usually ends in tears.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    New air filter (aliexpress) clean rebuild and balance the carbs, and thats about all thats worth doing. All the power is up the top end, there is next to nothing below 8k

Bike
    mc17

18000 redline

Yes been in nz since '06 regularly serviced clean as engine for age, previous owner had it for 5 years and installed alarm so its a goer but want more out if it before I upgrade, had it for over month now, could probably hit 180 in 4th-5th....

Bike
    mc17

18000 redline

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    If you need more horsepower (which is doubtful) get a bigger bike. Mucking about with an old bike usually ends in tears.
    Why doubtful? I have seen some putting out over 70 HP and I weigh 110 kilos so its not as much boost.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 250r-king View Post
    Yes been in nz since '06 regularly serviced clean as engine for age, previous owner had it for 5 years and installed alarm so its a goer but want more out if it before I upgrade, had it for over month now, could probably hit 180 in 4th-5th....
    Comedy fucking gold.

You are hilarious.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    It's a 250. You're not going to get 70hp for more than about 5 minutes until it spectacularly explodes. And it's ancient.

Buy a bigger bike, and remember torque is what makes you move, HP is what makes for pretty numbers in sales brochures.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    Im parting an mc17 if you need bits ;-)

I also have an mc17 im slooooowly rebuilding. Bit rough around the edges but I doubt I could let it go, such a fantasticly fun bike. Not the fastest by any means, but theres just something about how they go, the sound...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi-on-wheels View Post
    New air filter (aliexpress) clean rebuild and balance the carbs, and thats about all thats worth doing. All the power is up the top end, there is next to nothing below 8k
    Absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Comedy fucking gold.

You are hilarious.
    JD speaks wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    It's a 250. You're not going to get 70hp for more than about 5 minutes until it spectacularly explodes. And it's ancient.

Buy a bigger bike, and remember torque is what makes you move, HP is what makes for pretty numbers in sales brochures.
    The brutal honesty stings...

To the OP, by all means service and get (or keep) your hand grenade bike running sweetly, but the old adage "no replacement for displacement" springs to mind

Bike
    Dont have one now
    This is a wind up

Bike
    Between bikes
    Right, take the carbs off and jizz into the intakes. You'll need to do each one so you might want to have some oysters beforehand. Or just get your mates to lend a hand. It'll help valve sealing.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Street Triple R
    please post a GPS track and video of your 20 year old 250 doing 180 in 4th gear.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information