Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fat Bob makes this old man smile

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by MIXONE View Post
    After nearly 50 years of riding and owning a multitude of makes and models I bought my first harley in Feb and love it.I think you either get it or you don't huh.
    Pics please.

I havnt put my finger on it yet, but man I get a sore gob from smiling every time I ride her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1520cc.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	321957  

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    Cheers...im ok, old bad cunts usually are. Not decided on what i will do yet,trying to learn to walk like a pirateat the moment. Plenty of time to decide, as Akzle said, im not in a pine suit so all good.
    Love your attitude, sounds like you have plenty more years of life, how you live them is in your hands, Best of luck mate.

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Good to see you are enjoying your ride, I like the way those ride..... I found they suited me quite well, If I had the coin I might have got one but my current ride suits me well.

Clock them k's up, yah going to the Cold Kiwi?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    Good to see you are enjoying your ride, I like the way those ride..... I found they suited me quite well, If I had the coin I might have got one but my current ride suits me well.

Clock them k's up, yah going to the Cold Kiwi?

Forgot you were on here, lol. yes really enjoy riding this Bike, I was worried the 307kgs being too much for my ankle, but the low centre of gravity, seat height etc works really well, The handling surprised me after years of flicking the 190kg twin around, I doubt if I could pick this one up up once its tipped.

Nah no Cold kiwi Dave, Missus getting over 2nd hip replacement, as soon as she can be left alone I am going Bush, being house bound is not good for me, besides the jet boat needs a good run.

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    Forgot you were on here, lol. yes really enjoy riding this Bike, I was worried the 307kgs being too much for my ankle, but the low centre of gravity, seat height etc works really well, The handling surprised me after years of flicking the 190kg twin around, I doubt if I could pick this one up up once its tipped.

Nah no Cold kiwi Dave, Missus getting over 2nd hip replacement, as soon as she can be left alone I am going Bush, being house bound is not good for me, besides the jet boat needs a good run.

I don't post a lot on here, Mostly about the evening rides. I will get down your way at some stage for a ride

Next bush trip for me will be the FYM trip... bikes have been used more than the rod and rifle of late

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    That there is a nice looking bike, O'slider. And yeah, that platform handles pretty darn well indeed at road speeds. Enjoy!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    That there is a nice looking bike, O'slider. And yeah, that platform handles pretty darn well indeed at road speeds. Enjoy!

Cheers RDJ, This is first non Japanese bike since my teen age years when progressing from the Bantam to a Beeza 500 single, that hurt me a bit, lol.

I absolutely love the Bike, but that may change after its 32000km service invoice.

Bike
    2012, H-D, FXDF Fat Bob
    On my second fatbob and got to admt the grin hasn't let up yet. Regardless of the Harley knockers there is just something about them that grabs a part of you and doesn't let go. Enjoy your ride!
    David
    HD Fat Bob for Stress Relief

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiam View Post
    On my second fatbob and got to admt the grin hasn't let up yet. Regardless of the Harley knockers there is just something about them that grabs a part of you and doesn't let go. Enjoy your ride!

Cheers Zamiam, overlooking the kaipara is Magic part of NZ, my inlaws had a house in Whakapairau, not far from Maungaturoto, absolutely loved the place, oysters for breakfast or fresh flounder from the net every day.

Do you think there is much difference/improvements in the later models?

Bike
    2012, H-D, FXDF Fat Bob
    I bought an 09 new which I sold 4 years later to fund a horse puchase for out horse stud. Then I bought my current one near enough to a year later in June 2014. Its a 2012 so still old shape but has only 5000kms on it, the new arse end doesn't do it for me to be honest. New one had cams, stage I done and is 103cu and ABS. Most of what I read online suggested not many feel any difference between a 96 and 103. I certainly can, probably cams as my 96 was stage I as well. Both have had numerous mods, a number of which I transferred across. Best mod without hesitation is the 2000 spent on front and rear suspension - much much better bike.

Can't see myself selling it until I can't ride it any more. More likely to add a road glide and a trike (for her) to the garage.
    David
    HD Fat Bob for Stress Relief

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiam View Post
    I bought an 09 new which I sold 4 years later to fund a horse puchase for out horse stud. Then I bought my current one near enough to a year later in June 2014. Its a 2012 so still old shape but has only 5000kms on it, the new arse end doesn't do it for me to be honest. New one had cams, stage I done and is 103cu and ABS. Most of what I read online suggested not many feel any difference between a 96 and 103. I certainly can, probably cams as my 96 was stage I as well. Both have had numerous mods, a number of which I transferred across. Best mod without hesitation is the 2000 spent on front and rear suspension - much much better bike.

Can't see myself selling it until I can't ride it any more. More likely to add a road glide and a trike (for her) to the garage.

Cheers Zamian, I agree on the suspension, probably the only thing annoying me a little bit, mainly the really soft front end. I have to really try and remember to slow down the HD gear shifts, the W650 is so much different with no clutch up shifts in the higher gears.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Re forks being soft...
    You can try heavier oil in forks...
    Definitely improves things a bit.
    I also put about 40mm spacer /bungs in front forks on top of springs to "alter pre load" a bit no 8 wire style...
    That together with trailbraking in the corners makes things quite managable I find....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Re forks being soft...
    You can try heavier oil in forks...
    Definitely improves things a bit.
    I also put about 40mm spacer /bungs in front forks on top of springs to "alter pre load" a bit no 8 wire style...
    That together with trailbraking in the corners makes things quite managable I find....

Cheers, yes have been told about using heavier oil, love the kiwi ingenuity with using spacers.

As for trail braking, I was simply lucky on my first ride going into a lefty way to quick for my long absent riding ability, luckily there was nothing heading my way as I crossed the centre line much to my horror and riding inability.

Quite a few rides later I am relearning such things as the corners slowest point etc , I prefer to enter way slower than necessary, not much harm comes from this, but going in too fast!!! , besides I have less than 32 degrees lean angle on the HD. I have always and still do, lightly touch the front brake going in and ease right off as lean angle increases, not sure if its right, but prefer that rather than trying to scrub off speed once I'm leaning.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    There is something truly good about firing up a motorcycle that makes us happy to ride, regardless of brand, category, speed or slickness. I'm pretty agnostic about the branding of the exact bike that I like; but I know them when I ride them.

Today for example I took one of the V8s up the Parapara Highway, defying the frequently-mistaken weather predictions, and rode up to Raetihi and back, the excuse being a pie at the turnaround point.

On other days I have done exactly the same ride on a H-D V-twin (Dyna or Vrod), with a similar grin brought about by a different but equally fun experience.

It's all good.

Bike
    I suppose asking everyone on the correct braking and cornering techniques is similar to asking what is the best Bike and will get lots of variations, I don't mind!!

I admit to struggling with correct cornering techniques on the heavy two wheeled machine, speedway sidecars are, or were much easier, having no brakes and oval tracks.

I don't think I am having problems counter steering the HD, but it is early days ( and I possibly do tend to ride the W650 a little bit like my old 1973 TS 250).

I do use both front and rear brakes to scrub off speed in a straight line, but mostly use the front, I also use the front on entering a corner (very very lightly), but only until I start to lean the bike, then it comes off before any lean is attained., I understand less rubber and front brakes don't go so well together.

Position on the road I think I am getting right, and I watch for whether its an opening or a closing corner.

I will look for a local rider school that can help me stay safer on the roads. My alertness for other drivers and possible hidden dangers is way higher than when young, but in my 60s the reflexes are definitely slower, hopefully the greater awareness compensates for it, I have done about 2500kms since resuming, mostly in short 1-2 hour rides of mixed town and open road, I am probably best regarded as a Sunday rider even though any day is a ride day if its fine.

Thread Information