Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fat Bob makes this old man smile

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    I suppose asking everyone on the correct braking and cornering techniques is similar to asking what is the best Bike and will get lots of variations, I don't mind!!

I admit to struggling with correct cornering techniques on the heavy two wheeled machine, speedway sidecars are, or were much easier, having no brakes and oval tracks.

I don't think I am having problems counter steering the HD, but it is early days ( and I possibly do tend to ride the W650 a little bit like my old 1973 TS 250).

I do use both front and rear brakes to scrub off speed in a straight line, but mostly use the front, I also use the front on entering a corner (very very lightly), but only until I start to lean the bike, then it comes off before any lean is attained., I understand less rubber and front brakes don't go so well together.

Position on the road I think I am getting right, and I watch for whether its an opening or a closing corner.

I will look for a local rider school that can help me stay safer on the roads. My alertness for other drivers and possible hidden dangers is way higher than when young, but in my 60s the reflexes are definitely slower, hopefully the greater awareness compensates for it, I have done about 2500kms since resuming, mostly in short 1-2 hour rides of mixed town and open road, I am probably best regarded as a Sunday rider even though any day is a ride day if its fine.
    Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.
    be aware of the road and conditions is important, up this way there is a lot of metal washed out into the road from driveways etc.
    Use the throttle-don't button off. Try it on corners you know.
    Dont worry about age, I ride with people your age and older and they make me look like a pedestrian LOL.
    Most riders on Sunday are Hoons so maybe your in the right group?

It takes a while to get used to a new bike, the more often you ride the quicker you will improve, then one day things you were having problems with earlier will just disappear.
    Check tyre pressures at regular intervals and get to know your bike.
    different people progress at different rates so don't worry about that.

have a look at the Waikato and Laxed out ride forum here on KB for inspiration.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    here is the acc subsidized coarse http://www.rideforever.co.nz/training/bronze/

I am told they are worth doing and I have been meaning to do the series myself but I haven't got there, I do OK on the road but you never know what you can learn

Cornering took me a bit to get used to a cruiser, but once I got it sussed its my favorite part of riding, the tighter the better

I do use brakes in the corners at times (not much front, a little more rear) but if you keep the sight line through the corner and hold a bit more weight counter steering my bike holds its lean angle nicely, Look where you want to be and all that but mostly I try not to brake and go in with the intention of rolling on the gas.

If you have the need to be up this way for training you have a place to stay RTR

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    here is the acc subsidized coarse http://www.rideforever.co.nz/training/bronze/

I am told they are worth doing and I have been meaning to do the series myself but I haven't got there, I do OK on the road but you never know what you can learn

Cornering took me a bit to get used to a cruiser, but once I got it sussed its my favorite part of riding, the tighter the better

I do use brakes in the corners at times (not much front, a little more rear) but if you keep the sight line through the corner and hold a bit more weight counter steering my bike holds its lean angle nicely, Look where you want to be and all that but mostly I try not to brake and go in with the intention of rolling on the gas.

If you have the need to be up this way for training you have a place to stay RTR

Thanks for that Mate, sadly just read in this mornings paper a fellow rider in his 60s crossed the centre line for the last time.

I intend to do as much as I can to ensure I don't do the same, I was very lucky on my first "too fast" corner with no show of getting it back on to the right side of the road. Thanks for the kind offer leathel, once mums up and running I need to come for a ride up that way.

edit, "Two bald riders" Stuart Nelson and Ross Gratton do the training in this area so will hook up with them, cheers for the help.

Bike
    Parcel arrived, I am now officially in the Harley Owners Group.

For a reasonable annual subscription they seem to have their game sorted, Membership card, badges, pins etc, the membership benefits appear to be useful and possibly saves HD owners a few dollars if they are utilised.

Just need to see Anza in Palmy to Join the central districts chapter and hopefully will get to meet some like minded individuals

I suppose I will be opening myself up for a bit of stick now having the HD denim vest to wear over my Dri-Rider jacket? May look out of place when riding the Kawasaki hack though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1846.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	322729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1847.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	322728

Bike
    '03 FXD
    Parcel arrived, I am now officially in the Harley Owners Group.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1846.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	322729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1847.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	322728
    No,no,no please just no!
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MIXONE View Post
    No,no,no please just no!

Does this mean I have to follow way, way back on any rides, or am I supposed to get the more commonly seen leather vest. haha.

Bike
    '03 FXD
    Does this mean I have to follow way, way back on our rides.
    No it means just come riding with me and a few mates.We only have one rule."Don't be a dickhead."
    I regularly ride with a goldwing and an old kawasaki and we give each other shit.All in good fun.
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MIXONE View Post
    No it means just come riding with me and a few mates.We only have one rule."Don't be a dickhead."
    I regularly ride with a goldwing and an old kawasaki and we give each other shit.All in good fun.

Good Rule.

Looking forward to it, seems to be a few good buggers on here, Not so sure about Akzle, Madness and some others though,

Bike
    Street Triple
    Thanks for that Mate, sadly just read in this mornings paper a fellow rider in his 60s crossed the centre line for the last time.

I intend to do as much as I can to ensure I don't do the same, I was very lucky on my first "too fast" corner with no show of getting it back on to the right side of the road. Thanks for the kind offer leathel, once mums up and running I need to come for a ride up that way.

edit, "Two bald riders" Stuart Nelson and Ross Gratton do the training in this area so will hook up with them, cheers for the help.

Roadsafe (www.roadsafe.co.nz) also hold the ride forever courses in Wanganui. I was booked on the bronze course on the 26th June, however it was cancelled due to not enough participants.

I am still keen to do one of these - let me know how you get on with the bald bikers.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnie View Post
    Roadsafe (www.roadsafe.co.nz) also hold the ride forever courses in Wanganui. I was booked on the bronze course on the 26th June, however it was cancelled due to not enough participants.

I am still keen to do one of these - let me know how you get on with the bald bikers.
    I have not organised anything as of yet, Procrastinator should be my middle name. But I will hopefully have done something before 2017 if that helps, lol

Bike
    Street Triple
    I have not organised anything as of yet, Procrastinator should be my middle name. But I will hopefully have done something before 2017 if that helps, lol
    I have just re-registered for a bronze ride forever course in Wanganui on 24th July. At the moment there's only 2 riders booked for this course, so plenty of spaces left.......................

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnie View Post
    I have just re-registered for a bronze ride forever course in Wanganui on 24th July. At the moment there's only 2 riders booked for this course, so plenty of spaces left.......................

Thanks Bernie, will see if I can make it.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Does this mean I have to follow way, way back on any rides, or am I supposed to get the more commonly seen leather vest. haha.
    No no no, you dont HAVE to ride at the back, but well, just.... when on the Hardley?? you'll just BE at the rear
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    No no no, you dont HAVE to ride at the back, but well, just.... when on the Hardley?? you'll just BE at the rear
    That would most likely be my position regardless of what i straddle. So long as i know the destination i will be more than happy, not so sure about the poor bugger who is tail end charlie or the sweeper.

Bike
    Trumpet

I know the feeling

I have the same smile when I ride my Triumph. Spend more time in the shed washing and polishing then inside these days hahaha and any excuse to ride. Ive had a few turns on Harleys but the Trumphy does it for me. Got some chrome risers and z bars to fit next weekend. Enjoy your mean machine may you have many pleasurable rides ahead.

Thread Information