Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha MT-07 - and its tyres

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Those tyres look pretty standard for the sort of commuting I do. Lots of upright riding, not much opportunity to wring its neck. Back flattening off - probably more than you think because there is no tread in the centre, so the tread lines tend to get shorter without you noticing. Front flattening off halfway around each side. I've always believed that rear tyre (and chain) life has a lot to do with how hard you are on the throttle (all other factors being equal). So I tend to get similar mileage top you and always try to change them as a pair.

I've also found that squared off tyres affect the handling quite a bit, but you only really notice when you get new ones. Worn tyres tend to make my bikes want to drop into a corner, and they get deflected off road imperfections (e.g. cats eyes) a lot more .

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries
    i defiantly notice the deflections you mention, road imperfections, cats eyes, humps and bumps, and currently the motorway from Wellington to where SH1 and SH2 split has been roughed up for resurfacing, and has grooves in it running the same way as the traffic flow, I find the bike tends to track those groves and is quite unstable.

Ive been offered some Z8's and tole ill likely get more life out of them, but there a lot more expensive than a set of BT023's

I know everyone has their own opionions but what are peoples suggestions for well priced, long life, good all rounder tyres?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by RAYDEO View Post
    I know everyone has their own opinions but what are peoples suggestions for well priced, long life, good all rounder tyres?
    Wait till Gremlin comes here to tell you about Michelin Pilot Road 3/4s

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    I've been a fan of Pilot Road 2s for a decent life of commuting. Cycletreads talked me into PR4s last time, but i didn't have the bike long enough to find out how far they would go.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAYDEO View Post
    I know everyone has their own opionions but what are peoples suggestions for well priced, long life, good all rounder tyres?
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Wait till Gremlin comes here to tell you about Michelin Pilot Road 3/4s
    Actually, for what OP asked, it's the PR2. It doesn't have the same wet weather grip as the 3 or 4, but is better priced and in my opinion anyway, lasts longer.

It's not just opinion but also rider preference. The Pilot Road carcass (especially the 3 and 4) are softer than a typical tyre. This means it moves around more, the result being the rider can feel the squirm and the movement generates heat, but also increased wear.

Boss put 3's on his CB919 and 2up hated them moving around and went to Z8, which have a stiffer carcass and much happier. I took them and put them on my CB919 and they've been fine, but then I'm almost always 1up and no country riding (got the BMW for that).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I had several pairs of Z6s prior to the introduction of Z8s, was happy with the Z6s and would buy Z8s.

I've also been happy with Pirelli Angels and Dunlop Roadsmarts. Never tried Michelins, was put off by the "squirmy" reputation, but I do like the idea of trying PR4s. But not too soon thanks.

Always in pairs though.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Not that I take much heed of reviews like this, undoubtedly biased, but worth a gander.

https://youtu.be/EzcgeHLZMvw
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Not that I take much heed of reviews like this, undoubtedly biased, but worth a gander.

Interesting, but even though it was a sport "touring" tyre comparison, it seems that the sportier tyres were always going to win out over the touring'er tyres. 😞

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by aws View Post
    Interesting, but even though it was a sport "touring" tyre comparison, it seems that the sportier tyres were always going to win out over the touring'er tyres. 😞

Exactly why I have the salt shaker handy watching stuff like that.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    It's the same with bike reviews. The one that performs best on the track almost always wins.

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries
    Interesting stuff here, thanks for the input.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was just thinkin about dual compound tires. Are the fronts softer overall than the centre of the rears? As has been mentioned it's now common for front and rear to wear equally.

OP, all seems good in the house of MT07 but you do need new tires fairly soon. So you have to swing for grip, longevity and price. The best Iron Butt I know usually has BT45's, his bike is heavier but less powerful than yours and he rides it to the limit. He considers weather to be something you see just after the news. He is also passionate about his piggy bank.

My point is, decide your criteria and go from there. It's hard to go wrong, really. I don't think I've seen a thread on a crap tyre for a long time. It may have been a magazine article come to think of it.

Anyhoo, onwards.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries
    Another potentially dumb question, is there anything dreadfully wrong with just replacing the front tyre at this stage?

its wearing down faster than i thought, and I dont think i can afford to replace them both this month.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post

So obviously bias to the sport side. Turns that big BMW into a S1000r. I don't see that as a positive, if you'd purchased the big touring bike you obviously did not want the sport 1000r. Doh!

Still - given the ratings of all of them 7.5/10 being the lowest, whatever you pick up out of the set at the best price is very good.

Why to Mitchelins and no Pirelli?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    So obviously bias to the sport side. Turns that big BMW into a S1000r. I don't see that as a positive, if you'd purchased the big touring bike you obviously did not want the sport 1000r. Doh!

Still - given the ratings of all of them 7.5/10 being the lowest, whatever you pick up out of the set at the best price is very good.

Why to Mitchelins and no Pirelli?
    Fairly typical MCN reporting. And yeah, we are blessed with the quality of tires nowadays.

I asked myself the same question about Pirelli's.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information