Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha MT-07 - and its tyres

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries

Yamaha MT-07 - and its tyres

Hey team, I've looked around on the internet and done a bit of reading, but struggling to find any real info relevant to my questions.

I bought an MT07 in September 2014, and since have done close to 20,000km, on the original tyres.

20,000km on a set of tyres seems a lot from what I've read, is this normal?

and my other question is, shouldn't the rear be in need of replacement before the front?

currently my front is getting low on tread in the middle, and yes my rear has a but of a wear pattern in the middle as i commute on the motorway everyday, but defiantly looks like it has more life left in it.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I too believed the "two for the rear, one for the front" myth.
    Not the case it would seem. My Zooki has been through four sets of tyres, in all cases the front was munted and the rear could have kept going for a bit.
    Dont complain about good mileage, that many kms on OE tyres is pretty good if you believe all the conspiracy theories about the factories producing treacle based tyres for the bike manufacturers.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries
    Could the high mileage on the OE tyres be due to my riding style? or just the tyres they chose to put on the bike from factory?

I mean I'm not a complete idiot on my bike, thrashing it every where on the back wheel etc, but then I'm not a nana in traffic either.

I do 100km per day, 5 days a week from Paraparaumu to Wellington, literally only 3km of that per day is at 50kph, the rest of it is motorway speeds (from 70kph to 100kph)

interested to hear others thoughts, theorys, experiences. and if you have any tyre recommendations I'm all ears also.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by RAYDEO View Post
    Could the high mileage on the OE tyres be due to my riding style? or just the tyres they chose to put on the bike from factory?

I mean I'm not a complete idiot on my bike, thrashing it every where on the back wheel etc, but then I'm not a nana in traffic either.

I do 100km per day, 5 days a week from Paraparaumu to Wellington, literally only 3km of that per day is at 50kph, the rest of it is motorway speeds (from 70kph to 100kph)

interested to hear others thoughts, theorys, experiences. and if you have any tyre recommendations I'm all ears also.
    There are HEAPS of variables and everything matters from

*Tyre manufacturer brand
    *Tyre profiles
    *Tyre Pressure
    *Suspension settings
    *Front forks oil weight
    *Your body weight
    *Trail braking/ accelerating
    *Road gradient/ camber
    *Soft asphalt or coarse chipseal
    *Temperature on road surface
    *Tyre temperature heat-up/cool down time cycle

It's like asking what whey protein is best?

I guess the obvious first question is your tyre (e.g. Bridgestone S20 Evo) and PSI you run?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries

Yamaha MT-07 - and its tyres

Current tyres are Bridgestone Battlax BT023 sport touring

Front 120/70zr17m/c
    Rear 180/55zr17m/c

Pressure is unknown (yeah I know I'm bad, I really should check it)
    Suspension is factory
    I weigh 110kg
    Fork oil will be factory also
    Trail braking sounds like something I don't know how to do. (Is there a need to trail brake on the motorway?)
    Road temp, well this varies from cold to colder...
    Tyre temp? I get on it and ride...

I know this doesn't help much. But interest to hear your opinion now you know the tyres in question.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I'm tempted to say riding style is the biggest factor OP. I ride a TDM, an old, heavy, twin. I mainly use Bridgestones, currently T30's. I ride for jolly's, no commuting.

My tire wear has changed quite a lot in recent years, I used to scollop the front and wear it quickly. The rear would wear out in the centre. I always changed as a pair. Now, after doing a lot of training, my front is wearing evenly with no scolloping and the rear is going to wear the edges before the centre. Rear tire life seems to have increased, too. I'm over 10'000km's on them and both are still fine. The rear has not appreciably flattened off. 10k used to be about my limit for a rear.

Lots of variables here but if your happy with the tires I wouldn't be worrying. Everybody gets different performance from tires which makes it difficult to get definitive answers.

Just seen your pics and yup, they look like commuting tires. I think the 023's are dual compound, hard in the middle, soft on the edges for the rear. Same as the T30's.

I reckon your not particularly aggressive with brakes and throttle so your getting good wear. Check your tread depth, though. They do look "worn". Oh, maintain your pressures, it's a biggie.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    I brought my MT07 second hand with 18k on the clock and it still had the factory front on it.
    Although I'm surprised you haven't needed a new rear already

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    As already listed, too many variables to have any certainty.

To compare with my commuter, I use a CB919, more power, bigger and heavier than an MT-07 and I'm not always gentle on the gas. Pilot Road 2, 26k front and 24k rear. PR3, less km, I think around 20-22k for the front, rear not quite finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    As already listed, too many variables to have any certainty.

To compare with my commuter, I use a CB919, more power, bigger and heavier than an MT-07 and I'm not always gentle on the gas. Pilot Road 2, 26k front and 24k rear. PR3, less km, I think around 20-22k for the front, rear not quite finished.

And then the most I ever got out of a set of tyres on my Hornet 900 was 12,000 from a pair of PR2's. Sport tyres died within 5,000.

Just shows there are lots of variables in tyre life.

2 for one? Depends on lots - my Suzuki GS1200ss were always a set, Hornet 900 at set, Ducati has killed the rear in 4500 - front will last another rear and next change will be a set (then a rear only, then a ....... ) earlier rides I had always did 2-1 but they were 80's bikes.

Just be happy they are lasting well - won't tell you what I just paid for a rear Pirelli ......

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

Just be happy they are lasting well - won't tell you what I just paid for a rear Pirelli ......
    Awww, go on. I'm thinking of Pirelli's next, very light and summit different. My only concern is tire strength. The Bridgestone's are like a brick khazi in comparison to Angels and I've run my rear flat for a few k's with no consequent problems. I melted the poor thing but it's still tickety boo.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by RAYDEO View Post
    Current tyres are Bridgestone Battlax BT023 sport touring

Front 120/70zr17m/c
    Rear 180/55zr17m/c

Pressure is unknown (yeah I know I'm bad, I really should check it)
    Suspension is factory
    I weigh 110kg
    Fork oil will be factory also
    Trail braking sounds like something I don't know how to do. (Is there a need to trail brake on the motorway?)
    Road temp, well this varies from cold to colder...
    Tyre temp? I get on it and ride...

I know this doesn't help much. But interest to hear your opinion now you know the tyres in question.

they were the OE tyre on my bike and I hated them. Doesnt make them a bad tyre. The combination of bike, tyre and riding type/style is something a multivariate analysis would have some fun with.
    Yes you should check pressures.
    As stated the tyres are wearing exactly as a commuter will, centre of the rear is square, edges of the front are making it more "pointy"
    Do you feel confident in the tyres? if so great, you are enjoying the bike and getting good wear, use the same tyres until you can't get them any more or someone gives you a good deal on an alternative.
    In those sizes Pirelli, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Continental, Metzler, Avon and even Shinko make a tyre you could use. I guarantee you will find someone on here to completely crucify every single one of them and convince you these companies have no clue what they are doing with respect to making a tyre. Its a bit like saying McDonalds know jackshit about making burgers only Burger Fuel and Wendy's get it right.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries
    Great response, thanks.

I think I'm going to get another set purely based on the KMs I've had up till now, and all the reviews say they're a great all rounder especially in wet conditions.
    That's kind of what I need.

In all my years of riding, this is the longest I've ever owned the same bike, so buying tyres is a new experience for me.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    And then the most I ever got out of a set of tyres on my Hornet 900 was 12,000 from a pair of PR2's.
    I was happy to read that because my experience is similar. Twenty thousand? Amazing.

The OE tyres may not always be quite what they appear to be, one thing they will be though is cheap. I was wondering if cheap meant extra mileage, because experience certainly suggests it does not mean extra grip.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    20,000kms?

Very impressive indeed.

Just replaced my Battleaxe front (12,000kms on it) on my 09 Blade with one of the new S21s from Boyds down in Hamilton for $210 fitted.

Bike
    A
    Gentle, sedate riding obviously, not much cornering involved in that tyre wear. Typical commuting only tyres in all fairness. I'd be checking tyre pressures once a week at least, doesn't cost much to invest in a decent gauge. You can buy a simple plunger pump (bit like an old style bicycle type pump) to add air in bike tyres...

As for front and rear wear being down to some rule...nah, too many variables. In the old days I worked on one front to two rears, but nowadays it seems fronts are done before rears.

Splash out on a new set of rubber and it'll feel like you've got a new bike again

Take your pick from the main manufacturers' sport touring range and you can't go wrong really, we all have our own preferences

Thread Information