Thread: Does anyone own a Ducati Scrambler?

Bike
    Street Triple R

Does anyone own a Ducati Scrambler?

I am seriously considering one for next summer.

I am going to try and keep the Street Triple as well....

So, I used to own a Triumph Scrambler. It was like a black Labrador: big and black and friendly. Wagged its tail on a shingle road, too.

I had some really great rides on roads I had never seen before, within 50 miles of my house (Banks Peninsula shingle roads mainly). I sold it to buy a DR650, and a Street triple. Got the Street Triple (which is a a great road bike).

DR is still an option.

I dont think I would buy another Triumph Scrambler: the Ducati is significantly lighter, more power stock, and would be adequately competent for the riding I would be doing (none of your Chris Birch stuff thank you very much). It would also be user friendly round town, pillion friendly (Street Triple is not...) and have a low seat height and stuff (I am a hobbit so that is an issue for me, more so as I get older ).

So, I am looking for owner feedback, around servicing cost, what they are like to live with, how it is to ride, anything you would change*, stuff you love etc.

As an example of that, the fucking stupid fucking seat bolts that hold the seats on Hinckley Bonneville/Scrambler/Thrux are fucking stupid and fiddly and a pain in the arse. Old bikes had hinges and a lock. WTF is wrong with that?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Casbolts have sold many and I've seen a few locally on the road even sporting that sticky brown stuff (I think it is called mud). Mind you you may be able to purchase a spray can of genuine Ducati Scramble Italian mud from the goodies catalog.

They should still have a demo one in the shop.

Valve clearances every 12,000, belts 24,000. It's still the air cooled engine. If you go to Ducati.com you can download the full service manual for a peek.

I looked at them but can only afford one bike but reckon for what you have described the Scrambler would be absolutely ideal.

I'd get the Icon in red (cheapest of the variants) and use my change to personalize bars etc to suit from the aftermarket. And a pipe .... rowdy - like your old Triumph. Call it a safety feature - scares the sheep off those forgotten tracks you'll be fatting down.

Every bolt will be held on with red loctite and have a hex socket that is small for the size of the bolt (it's weird). I found it a good excuse to purchase a quality 1/4 inch socket set to deal with these bolts - avoids been ham-fisted with the large 1/2 inch set.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Another option is a Hypermotard with semi tyres. Seat height may be a issue as they are lofty but very narrow. My Streetfighter has a tall seat and I'm 5,8 but I'm fine on it due to how narrow it is. Nothing like a bit of tippy toe reversing out of the garage!

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I want to know too...after all having two ducatis must be better than having one.

Vaguely considering setting one up as an adventure bike with luggage racks etc, I'm not particularly brave so it's not likely to be hitting up the jumps and shit, but would be interested to know if they actually work off sealed roads or if it's all just for posing value.

Would probably end up mostly riding it to work and back though....
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    my second bike after my TS125.

But THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR??? what the fuck!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I would not buy one without having a shot on an XSR 700 first.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I would not buy one without having a shot on an XSR 700 first.
    BUT it got hit hard by the ugly stick .....

Hmmm I have a magazine review somewhere between the Yammy, Ducati and something (Triumph maybe?)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    BUT it got hit hard by the ugly stick .....

Hmmm I have a magazine review somewhere between the Yammy, Ducati and something (Triumph maybe?)
    Have you seen the one with Yamaha racing colours and a hint of flat track styling? Still need to get rid of that industrial radiator, though.

But hey, cheap(ish), fun and easy to personalise.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    too many but never enough
    Casbolts have a demo bike. Its the Classic version with Termignoni race slip-on. They also have a red Icon as a loan bike.
    A test ride on a Scrambler is recommended. Lots of comments online about the fuelling on these bikes. The transition from no throttle to some throttle can be quite abrupt particularly exiting slow corners. I bought a used Scrambler and apparently the 1st owner didnt like the snatchy throttle. I haven't found it too bad at all but it is definitely better since installing the termi slip-on.
    These bikes are great for shorter riders. I had the original seat modified to suit my 5 foot 2inch wife and purchased the Urban Enduro seat for myself. I am sure someone 5'8" would find it a good fit.
    I haven't had to service the bike yet but as a guide the 24000km ( valve check, new belts etc) service on my previous air cooled duc cost a grand.
    Overall I am very happy with the Scrambler. It has decent power, handles great and with the termi sounds just like a Ducati should.
    My bike started out as a yellow Icon. The original owner had the tappered bars and headlight fairing fitted. When I bought it I had the yellow bits swapped for red and fitted black tank panels with the Urban Enduro decals. From Evotech Performance i purchased recitifier, oil cooler and sump guards, front and rear axle sliders and crash protection, bar end weights and since the photo below was taken a tail tidy and Rizoma retro reverse mirrors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160501_152713-1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	689.4 KB 
ID:	322291  

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for. Definitely going to try the demo in Casbolts...

Bike
    Blog Entries

Thread Information