Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Triumph Tiger 800 forks

Bike
    raptor 1000

Problems with Triumph Tiger 800 forks

Hi a mate has a Tiger which is out of warranty, done about 20000 ks has failed a wof because of play in the forks, you cangrab the forks at the axle and they move back n forward like they are lose, Triumph NZ doesnt care as its out of warranty, and the local triumph dealer he bought it off is no longer a Triumph dealer and they dont care either, to replace the forks will be near enough to 3k, it went to ChCh Triumph dealer to be assessed and they say they are fucked. Any body had a similar problem with a Tiger?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Forks are fucked or the head bearings are? Big difference. Big price difference. Can't remember the last time I heard of forks themselves having play like described.

If indeed the forks are poked I'd be searching ebay for a pair of late model ones.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    head bearings are fine, supposedly its a known fault but Triumph NZ dont give a rats as its out of warranty, its a 2012 model, owner isnt hard on it

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    head bearings are fine, supposedly its a known fault but Triumph NZ dont give a rats as its out of warranty, its a 2012 model, owner isnt hard on it
    Warranty or not, surely a 2012 bike would be expected to still be working without issue under the consumer guarantees act? Especially at only 20,000kms

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    Warranty or not, surely a 2012 bike would be expected to still be working without issue under the consumer guarantees act? Especially at only 20,000kms
    Fair point there. I suspect a paint to go through the process but for the cost of forks worth considering. If doing so, I'd get on the net and print whatever data supports a known issue to use with a submission firstly to Triumph NZ noting if they do not respond favorably a CGA submission will be made.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Wouldnt it just need bushes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Fair point there. I suspect a paint to go through the process but for the cost of forks worth considering. If doing so, I'd get on the net and print whatever data supports a known issue to use with a submission firstly to Triumph NZ noting if they do not respond favorably a CGA submission will be made.
    Option B: if the dealer is a licenced Motor Vehicle Trader (presumably they are).then the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal may well be the way to go. As others have said, a major structural component failure after 3 years and 20000 kms suggests the goods are not of merchantable quality.

And your contractual relationship is with the dealer, not the importer. Though under the CGA and (I think) the Fair Trading Act you can have recourse to the importer/distributor. One of my staff has just dealt with a similar issue and the route chosen was MVDT. Eventualy the useless dealer caved and a consent order was made. The problem? The time spent if you lawyer up. Win lose or draw it costs you. I authorised a discounted fee from something like $3200 to $2000 (plus GST) and the client still whinged. And wanted free advice AFTER we did the deal. He "won" too.

They will say "Well your shit technique of wheelstands has fucked it up" of course.

Also, is it just a case of getting the forks rebuilt, not replaced? Bushings and shit inside the gubbinses.

Send them to Robert Taylor over winter: say "Please fix this". Apply considerably less than $3k, et viola, win win.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    There are bushes in the forks for the staunchin (yeah that ain't spelled right) to slide on. They're easy to replace if ya know what your doing.

Bike
    MT-10
    If they are moving then sounds like they are bent. Otherwise pull them apart and replace the bushings and seals. Not a hard diy.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    raptor 1000
    the bike went to local XTriumph dealer for repair cost $400, it then failed a wof because of the movement in forks then it went to Triumph dealer in ChCh for assessment. They say cant be fixed,,fucked.. its not a replace bushes fix

Bike
    MT-10
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    the bike went to local XTriumph dealer for repair cost $400, it then failed a wof because of the movement in forks then it went to Triumph dealer in ChCh for assessment. They say cant be fixed,,fucked.. its not a replace bushes fix
    Why is there movement in the forks?

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Why is there movement in the forks?
    the top part of the forks dont move, the bottom part does, the inside of the fork has worn causing movement

Bike
    raptor 1000
    http://ashonbikes.com/forum/triumph-...legs-after-15k

this guy has same problem looks like

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    That's a but shit. Just get a pair of used gixxer forks.

Thread Information