Thread: Triple down memory lane

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Ha,
    Geesh in 69 I went to a party with the old man and came home with me mum
    Many,many moons ago huh ?

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    pah , young whipper snappers !
    Here's the Triples we rode in Sydney in 1968/69 .Attachment 327610

No handling , no brakes and these first ones had Points Ignition.

Bewwtyful, I don't think we got the first ones in NZ until late 69 or early 1970, they were leathel in the hands of young fellas dumb and full of cum.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    Bewwtyful, I don't think we got the first ones in NZ until late 69 or early 1970, they were leathel in the hands of young fellas dumb and full of cum.
    That timeline is about right. VERY few of the first gen white ones ever came here. The red second year were about in small numbers but it wasn't till the third year blue version - CDI but still drums - that any sort of numbers appeared.
    No idea why this was so except that the few kawasaki dealers around could sell all the rotary valve twins they could get and people were a bit wary of the triple.
    My blue one was fine once the handling was sorted. I eventually found a brake lining that worked too.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    That timeline is about right. VERY few of the first gen white ones ever came here. The red second year were about in small numbers but it wasn't till the third year blue version - CDI but still drums - that any sort of numbers appeared.
    No idea why this was so except that the few kawasaki dealers around could sell all the rotary valve twins they could get and people were a bit wary of the triple.
    My blue one was fine once the handling was sorted. I eventually found a brake lining that worked too.
    AM4 ???? Green stuff ? I used to use that in T 350s. Front and rear hubs would turn gold with the coating on the alloy,heheh.
    When I returned to Wgton there were quite a few 1970 red ones around,but yeah the Blue of 71 were popular.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    AM4 ???? Green stuff ? I used to use that in T 350s. Front and rear hubs would turn gold with the coating on the alloy,heheh.
    When I returned to Wgton there were quite a few 1970 red ones around,but yeah the Blue of 71 were popular.
    I think most of the red ones were sold through Boyles. I only know of one red one sold in the SI, certainly a lot less down here.

NOT AM4 - I went through I think 5 different linings for the front in a short period....Incl AM4. The problem which still is not appreciated is that the drum liner is not the familiar cast iron - it's steel. You find the same in the small early Ducatis which is why the right lining for them is/was AM2.
    AM2 wouldn't take the extra weight/speed/heat of the triple.
    Talking between races at a car/bike meeting at Levels -as you did then - I was doing a moan about it when one of the Ingram brothers said, "send me a set of shoes, there's a lining at work I'd like to try" He worked at Don Agencies in Dunedin. Duly done. Bright red lining which I machined to finished OD as we did...
    Cold it grabbed like hell - hot it was the best drum I've ever used. AND I still had a brake at the end of a half hour proddy race.
    It was an American Raybestos lining which Don Agencies were using to reline the brake shoes of the passenger trolley at Deep Cove. Never got the number.
    Apparently the party trick at Deep Cove was to take visitors to the workface down the tunnel by letting the trolley reach terminal velocity and slam on the anchors just short of the end...They were relining a set of shoes every week apparently.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I think most of the red ones were sold through Boyles. I only know of one red one sold in the SI, certainly a lot less down here.

NOT AM4 - I went through I think 5 different linings for the front in a short period....Incl AM4. The problem which still is not appreciated is that the drum liner is not the familiar cast iron - it's steel. You find the same in the small early Ducatis which is why the right lining for them is/was AM2.
    AM2 wouldn't take the extra weight/speed/heat of the triple.
    Talking between races at a car/bike meeting at Levels -as you did then - I was doing a moan about it when one of the Ingram brothers said, "send me a set of shoes, there's a lining at work I'd like to try" He worked at Don Agencies in Dunedin. Duly done. Bright red lining which I machined to finished OD as we did...
    Cold it grabbed like hell - hot it was the best drum I've ever used. AND I still had a brake at the end of a half hour proddy race.
    It was an American Raybestos lining which Don Agencies were using to reline the brake shoes of the passenger trolley at Deep Cove. Never got the number.
    Apparently the party trick at Deep Cove was to take visitors to the workface down the tunnel by letting the trolley reach terminal velocity and slam on the anchors just short of the end...They were relining a set of shoes every week apparently.
    you nearly bought a tear to my eye there Grumph,Don Agencies !!!!! Remember them and Lucas (prince of darkness ! hahaha. I was a mechanic starting in 1966 I can remember re lining brake shoes (riveting )(cars that is). I seem to remember the AM4 stuff needed a bigger leading edge to take the vicious grab out of them ? Am I right ?
    But true I had no trouble matching RDs on the brakes with the drum T350.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9290022 (Small).JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	327624

Bike
    1994 MotoGuzzi California 111 LAPD

"cosmetic refurb"

A bit more progress on my "cosmetic refurb" - motor painted and back in the frame - now need to find a decent exhaust system.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2698.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	327932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2699.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	327933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2700.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	327934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2701.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	327935

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Looking good Don

May be down Hams way night before Paeroa races - go to races on Sunday back home Sunday night
    Will let you know

Cheers
    Murray

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Well best laid plans and all that....a mate who's an avid GSX750 fan got me to purchase a couple that were being advertised locally
    so duly did so and over the last couple of weekends have been digging into both so the XS is a shed ornament at present
    And got another bike coming this weekend for a top to bottom check over and full service.

GSXs have been an entertaining change though....two fully complete bikes for bugger all
    the red/grey wasn't healthy but after a bit of tinkering fires into life 1st hit of the button & purrs like a kitten at idle, its a wonder it ran at all considering the mess the carbs were in. Just a bit of cosmetic work to be done and it'll be racking a few kms again. The blue/white one has been totally broken down ready for some work and I've got another engine to rebuild but I'll be putting that on hold & getting the XS somewhere near finished so I can start riding the ol bugger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of John GSX750 007.jpg 
Size:	316.8 KB 
ID:	328012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of John GSX750 006.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	328013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of John GSX750 008.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	328014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of John GSX750 001.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	316.7 KB 
ID:	328015  

Bike
    husaberg
    I have a few more as well, including one vs the Trident. Not sure where that one is.
    But i have narrowed it down to 250M3.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_20170127.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	575.7 KB 
ID:	328202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_20170127 (2).jpg 
Size:	554.6 KB 
ID:	328197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_20170127 (3).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	765.1 KB 
ID:	328198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_20170127 (4).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	766.9 KB 
ID:	328199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_20170127 (5).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	643.5 KB 
ID:	328200
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Well the last few months have been wrapped up doing far more important things so not too much has happened

Though got caught with the yamaha parts data based screw-up.....waited 7wks for a oil seal to arrive ex aussie. So in desperation looked for alternatives to fix the issue (tacho drive housing inner seal) tried aftermarket suppliers with no joy and even tried sizing against seals used in fishing reels, but using a bit of ingenuity found that 3/8 fuel house had the same inner & outer measurements so with a bit of precise cutting made a seal to the right thickness and fitted for a test run and worked perfectly...same compound rubber (nitrile) and a far better sealing surface on the drive shaft.
    Has to be good quality hose not the cheaper go to motion pro stuff either

The OEM oil filter is 2/3 price of aftermarket (worthwhile noting that for V-max & XVS roadstars etc as they use the same filter)
    Current spec SR400 kickstart lever boss is the same item and a fraction of the price of sourcing from overseas.
    Starter relay is as simple as piss to strip, refurbish, & rebuild
    The late model rear wheel drive hub bearings are rocking horse poo.....managed to source 1 of 2 aftermarket bearings remaining in NZ through old work contacts.
    OEM air filter are near impossible to get but sourced one of the last ones available ex aussie (can't stand the void behind carbs with velocity stacks or pods).
    Had almost forgotten how easy these old girls are to tune up, balancing the carbs is simple...just got to remember to set up off number 2 cylinder , getting it dialed in with the way the pipes are now took a bit of fiddling but got there in the end...idled nicely @1100rpm and was crisp on throttle with a real good sound to it
    All was going good till I found an errant air leak in an intake manifold that would only show itself at certain revs....vibration just letting things move enough for it to manifest itself.

And my mates GSX is all done and going well and was surprisingly in good nic so the lad is happy and has now attacked the 2nd bike giving himself a project to fiddle with idea being a some sort of rat/cafe style thing...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Yamaha and their odd size bearings....I had a good little earner going for a while making up adaptors for standard size bearings in the back axle of the horrible Yamaha 3 wheelers for Pacific.
    Honda started it but yamaha refined it to the point of absurdity in the 80's.

Struck the same sort of seal problems on GS Suzuki tacho drives. They're available now but I'd been machining up an alloy cup to hold a seal smaller on the OD than original.

Bike
    Yamaha and their odd size bearings....I had a good little earner going for a while making up adaptors for standard size bearings in the back axle of the horrible Yamaha 3 wheelers for Pacific.
    Honda started it but yamaha refined it to the point of absurdity in the 80's.

Struck the same sort of seal problems on GS Suzuki tacho drives. They're available now but I'd been machining up an alloy cup to hold a seal smaller on the OD than original.

Ha it's just an odd bearing as the early models had two plain roller bearings running together so as an upgrade they decided to replace the 2 with one needle roller bearing. It's a 5904 bearing and at the time when I got the one for the bike Saecowilson only had two in stock in the auckland warehouse.
    Ha lovely tri-moto huh....we used to get the odd one come in when I was at Chapmans bloody fisherman with the old shit-heaps wanting us to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Yeah I took the drive housing out and the outer seals were shot but some one had tried the old silcone gasket trick on the whole lot and hadn't realised there was a seal in the guts of the thing so it'd been merrily pumping oil up the tacho cable and out over the whole front of the motor.
    The OEM seal (13mm x 7mm x 4mm) and is only a $5.00 single lip seal but they only had 4 available in Australasia and all sitting over the ditch but all the data base upgrade caused chaos.
    I stupidly was out in the shed one night and decided to fire the bike up and once going thought crap tacho isn't going, peered around the front to see a nice solid stream of oil pouring out the housing hole least I know now there's nothing wrong with the oil pump or circulation
    So now the fuel hose seal is still in place and I've got a OEM seal sitting in the draw as a back-up

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Ha it's just an odd bearing as the early models had two plain roller bearings running together so as an upgrade they decided to replace the 2 with one needle roller bearing. It's a 5904 bearing and at the time when I got the one for the bike Saecowilson only had two in stock in the auckland warehouse.
    Ha lovely tri-moto huh....we used to get the odd one come in when I was at Chapmans bloody fisherman with the old shit-heaps wanting us to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Yeah I took the drive housing out and the outer seals were shot but some one had tried the old silcone gasket trick on the whole lot and hadn't realised there was a seal in the guts of the thing so it'd been merrily pumping oil up the tacho cable and out over the whole front of the motor.
    The OEM seal (13mm x 7mm x 4mm) and is only a $5.00 single lip seal but they only had 4 available in Australasia and all sitting over the ditch but all the data base upgrade caused chaos.
    I stupidly was out in the shed one night and decided to fire the bike up and once going thought crap tacho isn't going, peered around the front to see a nice solid stream of oil pouring out the housing hole least I know now there's nothing wrong with the oil pump or circulation
    So now the fuel hose seal is still in place and I've got a OEM seal sitting in the draw as a back-up
    The old Whitebaiters Special i was asked to look at one that had a wee knock
    The wee knock was a totally shagged big end.
    So i whipped the head off, then I asked him if he had recently brought it? he said yes, i told him i suspected the guy you brought it off must have known it was a bit buggered.
    Then pointed to the 4 head gaskets it had on it......
    I had a CRF50 for my son brought brand new, it spat out a countershaft oil seal, being a honda it was an odd one in the parts Fiche, i ordered one and it never fitted, then the same thing happened again
    I double checked all the parts fiches arround the world they were all the same. So pissed off i measured the casing.
    the oil seal was bloody imperial. so i went to the old school enginerers and got the correct one.
    I supect Honda has outsourced the manufacturing of a few parts to China.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    The old Whitebaiters Special i was asked to look at one that had a wee knock
    The wee knock was a totally shagged big end.
    So i whipped the head off, then I asked him if he had recently brought it? he said yes, i told him i suspected the guy you brought it off must have known it was a bit buggered.
    Then pointed to the 4 head gaskets it had on it......
    I had a CRF50 for my son brought brand new, it spat out a countershaft oil seal, being a honda it was an odd one in the parts Fiche, i ordered one and it never fitted, then the same thing happened again
    I double checked all the parts fiches arround the world they were all the same. So pissed off i measured the casing.
    the oil seal was bloody imperial. so i went to the old school enginerers and got the correct one.
    I supect Honda has outsourced the manufacturing of a few parts to China.
    Check this out
    I posted this about 8yrs or so back
    it's the front cylinder camshaft out of a KVF650, the bike came in because it was running a bit rough according to the owner the rear cylinder wasn't any better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KVF Cam.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	331160  

Thread Information