Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Triple down memory lane

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Check this out
    I posted this about 8yrs or so back
    it's the front cylinder camshaft out of a KVF650, the bike came in because it was running a bit rough according to the owner the rear cylinder wasn't any better
    That pics shows some real abuse of common sense, It also looks like the rocker never contacts the whole width of the face either, what were they like? (Clearly harder than the cam anyway)
    I once seen a small yamaha four wheeler (Timberwolf or suchlike)with so low compression the owner rigged up with a rope and pulley system so the owner could tow start it with the gear lever semi engaged (centrifical clutch)

The time and effort he put into the daily starting routine and set up would have paid for numerous rebores and rings for the 200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I once seen a yamaha four heeler with so low compression the owner rigged up with a rope and pulley system so the owner could tow start it with the gear leversemi engaged (centrifical clutch)
    the time and effort he put into the daily starting routine and set up would have paid for numerous rebores and rings for the 200.

the pics shows some real long term suffering
    We used to supply a lot of quads, mules etc to dairy farms and some of the shit we saw and had to deal with would make your eyes roll.
    One outfit had three farms local to us and wouldn't use anything apart from KL250 stockmans and one farm they were for ever doing clutches in and their cheap import workers would ride the bikes ok but once they got where they needed to be would just ingage the clutch lock and leave the bikes running we did about 6 clutch packs inside a year

Had a Quad come in once that had the rear end held in with binder twine once.....that unbelievable to see..... it was so out of line it crabbed along a full wheel width out of line

Bike
    husaberg
    We used to supply a lot of quads, mules etc to dairy farms and some of the shit we saw and had to deal with would make your eyes roll.
    One outfit had three farms local to us and wouldn't use anything apart from KL250 stockmans and one farm they were for ever doing clutches in and their cheap import workers would ride the bikes ok but once they got where they needed to be would just ingage the clutch lock and leave the bikes running we did about 6 clutch packs inside a year

Had a Quad come in once that had the rear end held in with binder twine once.....that unbelievable to see..... it was so out of line it crabbed along a full wheel width out of line
    Thats funny.
    That Rakaia island farm of the (turners?) had like 20 2 wheelers or something didn't it, can't remember what flavour they were.
    I used to enjoy the farmer who did the full ring weld option inside and outside on the Honda TRX300 hubs.
    Why the heck they never just used a tack is beyond me.
    Everyone of those TRX300 that came into NZ had f- all grease on the splines. those early yams were the same only it was the rear disc that used to slog out.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Thats funny.
    That Rakaia island farm of the (turners?) had like 20 2 wheelers or something didn't it, can't remember what flavour they were.
    I used to enjoy the farmer who did the full ring weld option inside and outside on the Honda TRX300 hubs.
    Why the heck they never just used a tack is beyond me.
    Everyone of those TRX300 that came into NZ had f- all grease on the splines. those early yams were the same only it was the rear disc that used to slog out.
    Yeah Rakaia island are Turners....got a massive amount of farms and staff.......You should've seen what one of their staff did to a Maxxum, brand new Pottinger mower, & pivot a couple of years turned the tractor into a convertible, wrecked the mower and took out a whole section of the irrigator

TRXs with disappearing oil they get worn and start filling the airbox up we had about four come in over a couple of years with the owners saying they couldn't workout where the oil was going

Bike
    husaberg
    Yeah Rakaia island are Turners....got a massive amount of farms and staff.......You should've seen what one of their staff did to a Maxxum, brand new Pottinger mower, & pivot a couple of years turned the tractor into a convertible, wrecked the mower and took out a whole section of the irrigator

TRXs with disappearing oil they get worn and start filling the airbox up we had about four come in over a couple of years with the owners saying they couldn't workout where the oil was going
    I have never seen the inside of one (300)i guess they were pretty much an overgrown xr200?
    i met the bothers once real hard case old school characters they were advising their Neice on buying my old farm.
    The third brother had one of the Coasts smallest farms sbout 120 cows.
    A cockie here fell asleep and drove his tractor and feed waggon into a 110kv transmission tower, he actually hid the tractor so we never seen that, but by heck the tower was a mess he actually twisted it.
    I was working for TP at the time and had to try and get out of him what actually happened, he smartly feined ignorance and said he had no idea, i just went along making sympthetic noises, and then asked the neighbours what really happened. It was bloody hard to keep a straight face
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    I have never seen the inside of one (300)i guess they were pretty much an overgrown xr200?
    i met the bothers once real hard case old school characters they were advising their Neice on buying my old farm.
    The third brother had one of the Coasts smallest farms sbout 120 cows.
    A cockie here fell asleep and drove his tractor and feed waggon into a 110kv transmission tower, he actually hid the tractor so we never seen that, but by heck the tower was a mess he actually twisted it.
    I was working for TP at the time and had to try and get out of him what actually happened, he smartly feined ignorance and said he had no idea, i just went along making sympthetic noises, and then asked the neighbours what really happened. It was bloody hard to keep a straight face
    Nah think over-sized 250 and you'll be on the money.
    Turners have ultra deep pockets...last years down turn for dairy they came into work and placed a order for 14 new maxxum tractors & 6 Pottinger mowers in one hit our sales boys were all over them like a rash I liked dealing with them as every time they came in store I'd send them out with at least $1k worth of parts always good to add to the monthly take (I usually turn over between $80-$130k per month)
    One of of the contractors we supply got nailed by a stock truck up by sheffield last year....the truck hit the tractor & baler from behind so hard it punched the whole lot off the road. That was a beauty of a job to price up for insurance and a few years back just out of ashburton a bloke in a car hit a cockie on an old ford 5000 so hard the tractor snapped in two

Bike
    Yo momma
    Well the last few months have been wrapped up doing far more important things so not too much has happened

Though got caught with the yamaha parts data based screw-up.....waited 7wks for a oil seal to arrive ex aussie. So in desperation looked for alternatives to fix the issue (tacho drive housing inner seal) tried aftermarket suppliers with no joy and even tried sizing against seals used in fishing reels, but using a bit of ingenuity found that 3/8 fuel house had the same inner & outer measurements so with a bit of precise cutting made a seal to the right thickness and fitted for a test run and worked perfectly...same compound rubber (nitrile) and a far better sealing surface on the drive shaft.
    Has to be good quality hose not the cheaper go to motion pro stuff either

The OEM oil filter is 2/3 price of aftermarket (worthwhile noting that for V-max & XVS roadstars etc as they use the same filter)
    Current spec SR400 kickstart lever boss is the same item and a fraction of the price of sourcing from overseas.
    Starter relay is as simple as piss to strip, refurbish, & rebuild
    The late model rear wheel drive hub bearings are rocking horse poo.....managed to source 1 of 2 aftermarket bearings remaining in NZ through old work contacts.
    OEM air filter are near impossible to get but sourced one of the last ones available ex aussie (can't stand the void behind carbs with velocity stacks or pods).
    Had almost forgotten how easy these old girls are to tune up, balancing the carbs is simple...just got to remember to set up off number 2 cylinder , getting it dialed in with the way the pipes are now took a bit of fiddling but got there in the end...idled nicely @1100rpm and was crisp on throttle with a real good sound to it
    All was going good till I found an errant air leak in an intake manifold that would only show itself at certain revs....vibration just letting things move enough for it to manifest itself.

And my mates GSX is all done and going well and was surprisingly in good nic so the lad is happy and has now attacked the 2nd bike giving himself a project to fiddle with idea being a some sort of rat/cafe style thing...
    7 weeks for a part from Aussie???
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXp96Um-TAs

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXp96Um-TAs
    Well 7wks from the time I ordered it till I took possession of it...half the problem I'm sure was the dimwit sales guy who took the initial order & the shops geriatric ordering system and lack of communication within the store. The bloke in charge of the parts dept wasn't onsite at the time so the order for the seal probably got lost within the stupid little book they use.
    They were all apologies when it did finally arrive but I'm sure the salesman shit bricks a few times when I'd ventured in looking for it & especially when he realised who I was.....I used quite a few words & statements stronger than that youtube clip

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Yamaha put in a new parts computer system and went from the best most efficient supplier to being way slower than a very very slow thing
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Yamaha put in a new parts computer system and went from the best most efficient supplier to being way slower than a very very slow thing
    It's gone full cycle then - to revive a trade joke old enough to qualify as a classic....

"They found a cure for AIDS - but gave it a yamaha part number - no-ones been able to get it since...."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    It's gone full cycle then - to revive a trade joke old enough to qualify as a classic....

"They found a cure for AIDS - but gave it a yamaha part number - no-ones been able to get it since...."
    Having seen their ordering system it's no wonder they have issues bloody antiquated set-up. And it's scary when you do go in with the part number and get a blank face expression and then have to drive them around their own parts schematics to ID the part for them
    I thought the snap-on solutions system CaseIH use was primitive but the Yamaha system is antique by comparison.

One thing that really made laugh was the guy said when I started putting the pressure on was that they were dealing with over 100 items at the time FFS I look after 12 technicians doing multiple jobs and one job could require a lot more than that in one hit so 100 individual items is peanuts

Bike
    1994 MotoGuzzi California 111 LAPD

"Cosmetic refurb"

after a frustrating few hours resetting carburation and ignition, and testing reg/rectifiers, it works again!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2946.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	331337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2943.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	331336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2942.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	331335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2941.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	331334

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertwin Don View Post
    after a frustrating few hours resetting carburation and ignition, and testing reg/rectifiers, it works again!
    Looks pretty good Don
    What issues were you having with the carbs & ign?...the ign rotor has a locator pin that has a tendency to sheer off sometimes that can cause some fun & games

Bike
    That's where my one is at present
    Got to take the arse end apart and do the swingarm pivot pins & bearings, which is proving to be a fun filled exercise, the bloody bolts on the driveshaft knuckle are proving to be tough little bastards resisting all efforts so far to free them the air has turned blue on a couple of attempts.
    Once they're done it's a front end strip & rebuild and a new set of tires and she'll be close to done
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	533.6 KB 
ID:	331339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	501.1 KB 
ID:	331338  

Bike
    1994 MotoGuzzi California 111 LAPD

'cosmetic refurbishment"

the issues I was having were things like - dodgy connections/connectors - resetting points (I had retro-fitted points ignition some years ago) - finding a reg/rec that actually worked - getting it all together, then having the clutch cable snap - finding that I need to overhaul the starter motor (and wondering if I can get it out without having to take the carbs out - memory is failing me just now)
    one other niggle - the left hand indicator repeater has decided not to work!
    the UJ bolts at the front of the driveshaft - I found that a bar through the wheel spokes locked things up OK
    ended up using the header pipes from my "spares" bike, a home built "H" pipe and a pair of those shorty megaphones - stainless system one day (maybe)

Thread Information