Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Triple down memory lane

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R

Triple down memory lane

Well after suffering seriously itchy fingers for ages I've got myself a new project

Had it's standard spec brother as a boy in my late teens then its 850 sibling so after nearly 30yrs another yammy triple will be testing my patience

Albeit a SE model it should be a fun wee project & trip down memory lane; did close to 100k between the 750 & 850 I had so should be a bit of a laugh.
    The old girls never really set the world on fire in their day but were honest rides sprinkled with a dash of charisma & bit unique.

This ones a 1980 SE , jap imported in 89 with currently 46k on it and been shed stored for a number of years at what looks to be a very basic level, it'll be a fairly substantial undertaking but I'm up for it

Will post up some pics when time allows & as things progress.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    A Mate had the 850 version from new. Was a trouble free bike for it's time, quite torquey from memory but a little bland. His old man had an XS11 which I thought was a heavy whiney old pig. Great that Yamaha are going down the triple road again, best of both worlds IMO. Good luck with the project....nothing like nostalgia to play havoc with ya head.

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'd serviced a few of them in the day but it wasn't until quite recently I'd had one apart, for a racebike.
    They're very "toyota". The forged crank looks like it came off the toyota line as do the rods.
    The head is a 3 cylinder version of the 8V early toyota fours. Characteristically, too big in the inlet ports - and a bit miserly in the exhausts.
    The primary drive cries out to be a shitload lighter. There's a modern duplex chain setup available for the big Laverda triples I'd have liked to fit...

Generally they're over engineered. As borne out by the XS1100 - which is pretty much the same motor with an extra pot grafted on.
    BTW - the aftermarket o/s pistons for the 1100 will fit the triple if you want a big one....

The frames on the other hand are some of the most flexible i've ever struck - the 850 is marginally better due only to the stiffer swingarm mounting.

Bike
    Went and forked over the coin for the old girl today and gave her a thorough once over
    Looks like I'll be burning a bit of elbow grease... she's a dirty old bitch at present but surprisingly all there bar 3 small badges, bits of surface rust & torn l/h foot rest; no dints or dings in the tank or guards etc.
    Will get her home on Saturday and then get serious on investigating what I'm in for

Yeah G there fairly industrial internally, I actually spun the shells on the crank of my old 750 so got well acquainted with the innards, the one thing that concerns me a bit is the shims, haven't seen anything that size aftermarket for years & pretty sure they'd be rocking horse poo OEM.
    The 850 was 3/4 of the 11 with identical bore/stroke 71.5x68.6 the 750 is 3.5mm smaller in the bore; if anything does need doing in that department the 1100 aftermarket bits will make life easy.
    Funny you say about the frame flex, from the kms I clocked up on my old ones I found the 750 more compliant than the 850 but it did have a more savage torque reaction from the shaft drive; If i'd been cloned and put on both at the same time I would have easily shown the 850 a clean set of heels

There's a couple of rough piccys anyhow of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XS l.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	322348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XS r.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	322347  

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Very nice, even if it is the special with the silly 'custom' seat that yamaha had a strange fascination with back then.

I work with an older chap who still rides a 750 he bought brand new, when he's not riding his R1, he can show most people a clean set of heels through the twisties on a ride to Akaroa so they can obviously be managed well enough to go fast.

Much quality garage time cleaning things coming up.....
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    BSA A10
    I was looking at a chain drive conversion for one of those in a workshop a few months back

Flatmate had a 750 which he totalled then he got a 850 which he tossed down the road quite frequently, more of a rider issue than anything with the bike

3-1 sounds mint on them as well
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Very nice, even if it is the special with the silly 'custom' seat that yamaha had a strange fascination with back then.

I work with an older chap who still rides a 750 he bought brand new, when he's not riding his R1, he can show most people a clean set of heels through the twisties on a ride to Akaroa so they can obviously be managed well enough to go fast.

Much quality garage time cleaning things coming up.....
    Back when I had my 1st 750 I used frequent the building where Don (pitlane) started out from and one afternoon he saw the tyres on my bike and was in shock at what I'd done to them; it would've put the majority of radial running sportsbikes to shame
    But this one definitely isn't for that, It'll frequent a few rallies etc and that'll be it

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I was looking at a chain drive conversion for one of those in a workshop a few months back

3-1 sounds mint on them as well
    Had heard of chain conversion s but never seen one, it'd be huge undertaking...complete arse-end swap
    Wouldn't think it'd be worth the hassle. Have seen spoked wheel sets for them which would be nice.

I had a cycleworks 3-1 on the 850 and with baffle out it was awesome

Bike
    Exercycle
    I've still got a heap of yamaha shims - you know where I am.

That dammed oil filter setup at the front of the motor makes it very hard to do a decent 3 : 1 pipe. The header lengths get compromised

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    A Mate had the 850 version from new. Was a trouble free bike for it's time, quite torquey from memory but a little bland. His old man had an XS11 which I thought was a heavy whiney old pig. Great that Yamaha are going down the triple road again, best of both worlds IMO. Good luck with the project....nothing like nostalgia to play havoc with ya head.
    XS1100 was a great old girl with some interesting race versions appearing over the years. My brother used the engine from one for a speedway chair very successfully up to the mid 80's, had to put 750 sleeves and pistons in the outer cylinders to bring it under the max 1050 cc allowed.

Name:	10151258_10202675852234748_9011987752613307867_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	322360  

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcktfsh View Post
    XS1100 was a great old girl with some interesting race versions appearing over the years.
    I always liked the Rodney Gray bike out of SA, fucking awesome bit of kit
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I've still got a heap of yamaha shims - you know where I am.

That dammed oil filter setup at the front of the motor makes it very hard to do a decent 3 : 1 pipe. The header lengths get compromised

I'll keep that in mind about the shims could be a life saver.

Yeah the filter housing is a huge wart on front of the block
    Least this has its original pipes and in pretty good nik too, the muffler s might get put aside for something like some harris reverse megs
    Have got a cycle world mag from 80-81 with a pipe & accessories review that had a pipe fitted up to a 850 with split centre pipe that looked nice; will have to dig the mag out & see what brand it was.

This time tomorrow it'll be here so I'll aware of what sort of journey it's going to deal out

Bike

1st appearances

Rocked up to town mid morning yesterday & grabbed the bike; pretty uneventful exercise but by f@#k there's some idiots drive around chch

Once back home & off the trailer it was time to a good gander at lay before me...... nah was more like but over all the pros outweigh the cons.
    It isn't going to be a ground up/bare case rebuild but could get close. All the prime wearing & maintenance items are toast & will be replaced as each area is worked over.
    The battery was well dead so has been ditched ready for new when the time comes; did jack the electrics off a jumper battery and surprising all the lights & switches work so that'll just be a case of check through etc ready for when they're needed.
    Wheels around OK but brakes are binding so that'll be a complete top to bottom at both ends, wheel/swing-arm/headstock bearings feel OK but will be replaced allround as each spot is got to.
    Cosmetically its fine underneath the filth, definitely in desperate need of a thorough clean-up & TLC, there's a paint job on it's way once the more important things are taken care of thinking a metallic black cherry could be the go.
    Ripped the bent handlebar off and have slung a old set of O'neil 2" rise mx bars on just for a different feel & to be honest isn't too far off comfy .

Will sort better pics as bits get done & when I can workout my phone a bit better

Name:	Trailer home 2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	322419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer home 1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	322420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At depot.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	322421  

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Will sort better pics as bits get done & when I can workout my phone a bit better
    XL250 back there is it?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Rocked up to town mid morning yesterday & grabbed the bike; pretty uneventful exercise but by f@#k there's some idiots drive around chch

Looks like the important and expensive bits are straight. I was looking at some original (or original looking) replacement pipes and mufflers for the GS1100 - would cost more than the rest of the bike is worth.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information