Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Triple down memory lane

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertwin Don View Post
    the issues I was having were things like - dodgy connections/connectors - resetting points (I had retro-fitted points ignition some years ago) - finding a reg/rec that actually worked - getting it all together, then having the clutch cable snap - finding that I need to overhaul the starter motor (and wondering if I can get it out without having to take the carbs out - memory is failing me just now)
    one other niggle - the left hand indicator repeater has decided not to work!
    the UJ bolts at the front of the driveshaft - I found that a bar through the wheel spokes locked things up OK
    ended up using the header pipes from my "spares" bike, a home built "H" pipe and a pair of those shorty megaphones - stainless system one day (maybe)
    Fuse box is notorious for creating problems with the electrics due to easy contamination....best to fit a new one with blade fuses.
    Alan Mobley (bikebitz) could have a reg/rec or Tin1212 & Waltrip (TM traders) could be worth trying.
    Carbs have to come out to get the starter motor out plus everything on the Left side of the block too unfortunately....the idler wheel drops out of location once the starter motor is removed.
    Been there with the bar through the wheel trick to almost the point of munting the heads on the bolts....getting a loan of a nifty wee tool that hopefully should work with a bit of heat for added measure. Would love to a get a rattle gun on the buggers but as you'd know they're on the wrong side of the knuckle
    Those megs are rather free flowing sods...I think I burnt & blew half their packing out the 1st couple of times I had mine running with them

Bike
    husaberg
    when i seen it i though wow how often do you see a decent looking cafe racer on trademe
    then i seen it was an XS 3

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1346883979.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    when i seen it i though wow how often do you see a decent looking cafe racer on trademe
    then i seen it was an XS 3

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1346883979.htm
    He was in the twilight zone with the asking price.
    This 850 is a better looking conversion....tighter, more together package
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XS cafe.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	331475  

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    He was in the twilight zone with the asking price.
    This 850 is a better looking conversion....tighter, more together package
    Horses for courses.
    i still like the kiwi one better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Well one has conquered that bloody knuckle though the wee tool I had a borrow of was too short in the stem to get anything attached to it for leverage; I had to do a bit of head scratching and some rangi ingenuity, but lucky had success.
    So upon inspecting the bearings & pivot pins have found the bearings basically naffed (worn outer races to the point of indents where the rollers of the inner had been running) and the hardened surface of the pins starting to show signs of pitting
    Have cleaned most of the swingarm up ready for reassembly, changed the diff oil (was actually surprised how clean the old stuff was), fitted new bearings (had to do a bit of spot welding to shrink the outer races to enable removal), and a bit of a dulux overhaul to get it all nice looking again.

The 1st pic are the pivot pins one has had a bath & clean the top one is how they came out

I'll get that all back together shortly but have a couple of jobs to do whilst she's apart but at least it's a bit closer to venturing out the door

Name:	IMG_0124 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	332145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	332144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0121 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	291.2 KB 
ID:	332146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0123 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	453.0 KB 
ID:	332147  

Bike
    Well the arse end is back together with new bearings & boot; torqued up & aligned properly. Now it's showing up how weathered the front end looks
    so as planned that's next on the agenda: fork oil, fork seals and general clean-up.
    The air scoop arrived from ST Don so that's had a clean-up ready for fitting, cheers fella

So once the front is done & a couple of minor jobs taken care of and detailing is done she'll be getting damn close to a maiden voyage bloody nearly 25yrs since a triple has barked it's way around the township

Name:	IMG_0136 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	332315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0133 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	553.1 KB 
ID:	332316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0132 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	527.2 KB 
ID:	332317  

Bike
    Two wheeler
    Looking good , well done!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by admenk View Post
    Looking good , well done!
    Every little bit of progress is a step in the right direction
    Still got a bit to get through but it's close to making it's way out of the shed for some runs around the township to make sure everything is behaving how it should
    Done a few in the past so getting this old girl up & running again hasn't been too troubling. Apart from a couple of bereavements and dealing with sorting out a messy estate situation during it all, it's taken a bit more time than initially expected but it's been a good escape being able to tinker away and forget about the other bullshit for a while

Bike

Interesting Concept

Well just been out in the shed having a bit of a tinker and thought I'd fire the bike up seeing it hadn't run for a while and it wouldn't kick into life, it'd fart & bang on one pot but not enough to catch so started to scratch the head thinking of what could be going on.
    Checked a couple of things which all seemed fine & doing what they should so whipped the plugs out to check them and #1 & #3 absolutely nothing and a nice big fat spark off #2; swapped that plug amongst the other two leads and same nice big fat spark so OK something going on with the plugs from 1 & 3.

Gave both plugs a clean and tried both again earthing them out against the block and was getting spark but everywhere but between the point of the inner electrode & the outer, there was a fine spark dancing all around the outer electrode and up towards the ceramic insulator and even between the outer electrode and where the plug was earthed out on the motor

Fitted some new plugs and put everything back together and the bike fired up straight away without issue so I dunno possibly two dud plugs maybe but as I had basically only fitted a fresh set and they've done at the most a total of 15-20mins running since fitted it seems a bit odd that two die and display the same symptoms. They definitely aren't anything special just basic NGK BP7ES and never had issues with NGKs before but suppose there's always a first for everything.
    Hopefully all going to plan will manhandle the ol bitch out the shed next weekend and see how she's goes on a run around the block but will be checking the electrickery out during the week to see if anythings playing up.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Check the resistance in the caps. When they're on the way out those are the symptoms.

Dave's race triple gave a lot of trouble till the leads were sorted out properly.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Check the resistance in the caps. When they're on the way out those are the symptoms.

Dave's race triple gave a lot of trouble till the leads were sorted out properly.
    yeah Greg I was thinking along those lines but a bit further back, possibly the coils breaking down a bit so was hoping to see if anything manifested itself with a ride around the block with engine operating under proper load instead of just spinning over stationary. I have replaced the HT leads because they were stiff as buggery and one (#3) someone had taken a hunk of the insulating sleeve off then just taped it up again
    I haven't replaced the caps yet but that was on the to do list and do have a spare set of coils if need be.
    Going to have to wait till next weekend as it's a 2 man job to muscle the bike out of the shed....used to do it by myself but I'm not that silly these days and don't fancy wrestling 230kg+ in a confined space if it gets away from me

Only time I've had issue with caps was on a Suzuki twin many moons ago and wasn't a pleasant experience and had one shop totally confused on what the problem was.... the bike would run sweet as a nut 90% of the time then on the odd occasion would drop a cylinder for no reason (Once was interesting as it did it as I was passing a car with others following and dropped a pot and with no power just had to drift over to the opposite side of the road out of harms way and try and get the damn thing running on all cylinders again ) turned out after a bit of a desperate search that the ceramic resistor in the guts of the cap was snapped in two...funny how a small rod of ceramic maybe 15mm long & 3-4mm in diameter could cause so much trouble.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    In 2005 I bought a brand new Yamaha FZ1, still the carbed model. I had a similar problem (one plug gave up) Rang the dealer in desperation, he asked what fuel I was running, told him 95, he said that was the problem. Sorted the plug and switched to 91, never had a problem after that. He said 95 was hard on plugs on bikes not designed for it.
    Don't know what you're using, but it may help others of this potential problem.
    flashg

Bike
    Exercycle
    Fuel is a possibility - I've found that if you do foul a plug on 91 or 95, it doesn't matter what you do - sandblast, solvent soak, whatever - it will never come right.
    Alternative coils to suit that mount and space don't seem to exist. One of the things we looked at for Dave's bike. Finished up with his best 3 coils.
    I'm assuming that NOS is available somewhere...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    In 2005 I bought a brand new Yamaha FZ1, still the carbed model. I had a similar problem (one plug gave up) Rang the dealer in desperation, he asked what fuel I was running, told him 95, he said that was the problem. Sorted the plug and switched to 91, never had a problem after that. He said 95 was hard on plugs on bikes not designed for it.
    Don't know what you're using, but it may help others of this potential problem.
    Fuel is a possibility - I've found that if you do foul a plug on 91 or 95, it doesn't matter what you do - sandblast, solvent soak, whatever - it will never come right.
    Alternative coils to suit that mount and space don't seem to exist. One of the things we looked at for Dave's bike. Finished up with his best 3 coils.
    I'm assuming that NOS is available somewhere...
    Just running her on 91 old school low comp motor didn't see the necessity for 95, did soot the plugs up a bit when I was dialing in the carbs but nothing to the extreme though but wouldn't have thought that'd have been enough to knacker them and have seen a lot worse dealing with some the shit I dealt with at the shop.

Yep Greg NOS coils are readily available ex MikesXS.com $30US each 4ohm Hitachi same fit as XS650 & XS1100

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650...310-60-00.html

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.

It was Bob McCleary that I bought the bike from. He told me he'd come across the problem on a few occasions and also said the plug would be stuffed. I replaced it.
    flashg

Thread Information